SF Bay CA: Loaded 2018 FWC Grandby for $26k, add 6.2kWh lithium $1k (cheap truck optional for fly-n-drive)

MotoMind

This listing is for just the camper. The camper is currently sitting on my truck, but can be unmounted, stood on camper jacks, and driven away in a new vehicle. Alternatively, I can meet you at the factory and they can mount it on your vehicle on the spot. Or, if you want, buy my truck (make me a lowball offer) and drive it home.

Photos
Exterior of truck and camper
Interior of camper

yd0spEL.jpg

Q2Yqk6O.jpg

Camper
The camper is fully loaded with nearly every option:

O990B4R.png

We further improved the camper and alleviated the drab gray feel of it with custom cushion covers from Sunbrella (colorway 'Echo Sangria'), custom curtains, and a solid walnut hardwood tabletop made by Turner Custom Furniture. We kept the original table, curtains and cushion covers. There are some added hooks and a paper towel holder attached with double sided tape that can come off if desired. Mounted on the F350, the camper has very ample space in the bedsides for hoses and a lot of equipment. The tailgate also fits on (but does not close), making a great step, porch, and table.

The interior is cosmetically great and well treated, and was cleaned by my German wife before, during, and after our travels. The exterior is in good condition but has a bit of light pinstriping and a couple small spots were paint rubbed off on the back due to some rubbing from a stepstool. We visited the factory this week for warranty service on a couple items, and the camper is has zero issues.

Power
  • 4x 130Ah Valence Group 27 LiFePo4 lithium iron phosphate batteries (390Ah live, 130Ah charged cold spare)
  • Heavy duty 4 gauge wiring from upgraded alternator to camper batteries
  • Triple fused (at alternator, at underhood battery, at camper batteries)
  • Manual heavy duty marine disconnect
  • Voltage meters in battery box
  • 1x 150w portable polycrystalline solar panel
  • 20ft 10ga solar panel wiring w/ SAE plugs for exterior connectors
  • PWM charge controller
There are four lithium batteries, one under the hood, two in the camper battery box, and one as a cold spare under the dinette seat (never needed). A manual disconnect allows the camper batteries to be fully drained while leaving juice in the underhood battery to start the truck. With heavy duty wiring, the alternator on the truck recharges the batteries very quickly.

Long story short, this system just plain works. If you plan on staying more than a week somewhere, deploy the panel, but otherwise you can keep it tucked away.

Price & Location
We are located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

2018 Grandby: $26K.
Batteries & Electrical: $1K
Truck: Make me an offer. If you get the package, you can fly-n-drive.

Last edited:

MotoMind

Moving to Germany. We could put it in a container but the FWC just isn't optimal for European conditions (lots of cold/damp and some hot/humid). It performs really well in true dry desert and summer mountain conditions, which we aren't going to have much of. In Europe there are lots of composite campers out there for more traditional RV-ing on Mercedes platforms of various off-road ability. They are taller, but you're not dealing with forest roads unmaintained for decades with branches reaching low into the trail. We might go in that direction once we're there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94