(SF Bay, CA) 2000 Ford F-350 V10 4x4 splicer truck w/ fiberglass enclosed work area and service bed - $9800

MotoMind

Not sure why I haven't seen more fiber optic splicer trucks converted to overland vehicles, but the requirements for splicing fiber seem to align with services needed for overloading. Meaning, it provides durable protection from weather, security, exterior storage, heating, cooling (A/C), and power (generator). By virtue of being a work vehicle it also provides some degree of stealth/cover when camping in unconventional locations. Additional insulation is probably needed as are creature comforts and water/waste systems, but those are relatively easy additions given the existing infrastructure.

I have no relationship with the seller, haven't seen the vehicle. I noticed that it was an SBC fleet vehicle, and no idea how much idle time is on that V10 despite low miles. Up north they run them hours and hours in extreme cold, not sure how this one has been treated. Also looks like the work area is a bit rough, looks like signs of corrosion on the fasteners on the door. V10 gas mileage is not even worth asking about.

eporter

Adventurer
Hey that’s interesting. I haven’t seen one of these before. The gap between cab and box kinda sucks for wasted space and no pass through. Maybe you could mount a small moto there, some MTBs, or a stack of storage boxes.

7fe3ed22a7aa1d332372f03dc4490111.jpg

MotoMind

That's where I would put a water tank, or like you said a motorcycle. On some of them I've seen a boom/crane fitted in that area, not sure if that's why they left it open here too.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With the cost of a knuckle boom, seeing these trucks for sale without them is no surprise..
Its one item that many fleet managers will remove from an old truck and reinstall onto the new truck.

It does provide some useful space if you are creative.
I designed and built the bed for our truck to haul a moto as well as other items.
Ours is fully enclosed though in what is typically referred to as a "cross-body" box.

48514195421_435b8f2e6d_b.jpg

RadJacob

Neat. "Splicer trucks" weren't on my radar either, but I like that utility bed/box combo. Also like the gap between the cab and box for an oversize spare tire and auxiliary fuel tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles