Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Putting it back together it became clear the difference between the #10 YKK pulls that we use and the #4 on this jacket.....Kinda cute.

Agreed 110%. On my bag project from page 12, the only material I splurged on was #10 YKKs - I HATE small, fiddly zippers. Plus, the big stuff feels easier to field-service and repair.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Another fun project completed with SRAM bike company. Double pouch ShopRolls with SRAM embroidery on the WorkMat heading out to Bike Mechanics around the globe.

9030D075-9E8A-4175-9480-A083EEDF5CB1.jpeg

Several new Earthroamer Gearbags heading to someones Christmas presents.....Would love to find one under my tree!

39773D69-F6AA-405E-AD9C-FB33B1A91E9A.jpeg

Riptide

Explorer
Several new Earthroamer Gearbags heading to someones Christmas presents.....Would love to find one under my tree!

Love how those zip end to end.

For my next neophyte trick, I'm modifying a stock car cover for my soft-top Samurai to be more of a summer quick on-and-off type top to cover just down to the metal. I had one for my Jeep years ago, and thought nothing of using the vehicle. But these full covers with elastic hems are a bear to wrestle every day. We'll see how it comes out.

Now where's them scissors?

jgaz

Adventurer
I have some sewing ability but when I get in a jam my much more skilled wife will handle it for me.
Recently my recovery bag need repair (again). It was a Jeep event give away so it never was very robust.

I asked my wife to do the repair. She said “sure, next time she had the machine out”
Fast forward to Xmas morning and look what Santa left me:
18DDE8FA-C58D-4B54-9081-C08C4ECD9E71.jpeg

An ATC recovery bag!
I asked her how she knew what to buy. She said, “you love the wool blanket you asked for a few years ago.
Their site had exactly what you were wanting to repair, mon and pop business, made in Colorado, easy”

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have some sewing ability but when I get in a jam my much more skilled wife will handle it for me.
Recently my recovery bag need repair (again). It was a Jeep event give away so it never was very robust.

I asked my wife to do the repair. She said “sure, time she had the machine out”
Fast forward to Xmas morning and look what Santa left me:
View attachment 633472

An ATC recovery bag!
I asked her how she knew what to buy. She said, “you love the wool blanket you asked for a few years ago.
Their site had exactly what you were wanting to repair, mon and pop business, made in Colorado, easy”

She's a keeper!

Thanks for posting! Shot me pm with your address and I'll drop something in the mail for your bag. Cheers.

jgaz

Adventurer
Thank you. Not necessary but certainly appreciated.
And yes she is.

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
My wife recently bought a 1938 Singer 201-2 from a friend of hers, and I spent some time over the holiday break rewiring it and cleaning and fixing it up for her. Now I want to learn how to use it... it's built like a beautiful little tank. Hoping to find some good ideas in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 21

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My wife recently bought a 1938 Singer 201-2 from a friend of hers, and I spent some time over the holiday break rewiring it and cleaning and fixing it up for her. Now I want to learn how to use it... it's built like a beautiful little tank. Hoping to find some good ideas in this thread.

Awesome! Looks like a great machine. Check out youtube for all sorts of tutorials on that machine and projects!

Have fun!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Developing a new piece of gear for ER and spent some time hanging around their facility brain storming. Again, they are absolutely incredible machines made by truly talented craftsman.

BA937561-119B-4B7B-8D9D-5177391C8859.jpegCBAE7B15-871C-497C-B680-EE611833328D.jpegB32AA469-E08F-42E3-AD64-9C9885C4A679.jpeg7F4B6EF9-6593-4629-9B24-E4DEDD75B4C9.jpeg0A0E1945-8489-44E6-AA1A-9F98C1BD9B99.jpeg170CA94F-1981-4260-B8F7-EA476D4C931A.jpeg1119A1B3-ED58-4CE5-8AFA-2E77BE8E4F3C.jpeg

outback97

Adventurer
Awesome! Looks like a great machine. Check out youtube for all sorts of tutorials on that machine and projects!

Have fun!

Thanks! I don't think I could have done the rewiring and restoration without youtube. It was a pleasure working on something that was made so well, and made to be taken apart easily.

Awesome machine. We had a later model of the same machine. Watched my dad sew many leather interiors. Here is a pic of the last car he restored and sewed the interior for.
resotred4.jpg
IMG_2139.JPG

alexcivick

Observer
Been keeping busy prototyping, testing size options, and most of all learning so I can make 2021 the year I (finally) start my business. I've been looking for an industrial machine that is going to suit my needs but every time I think I find a good option another one pops up and changes my mind. And while I am still finalizing what product offerings I will initially be launching, I have been making some of these personalized gear bags for some close friends and family to help raise some capital and get things started. Turns out buying bulk fabric and notions is pretty expensive lol

GearBagBuild.jpegReadyAdventureGear.jpeg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Been keeping busy prototyping, testing size options, and most of all learning so I can make 2021 the year I (finally) start my business. I've been looking for an industrial machine that is going to suit my needs but every time I think I find a good option another one pops up and changes my mind. And while I am still finalizing what product offerings I will initially be launching, I have been making some of these personalized gear bags for some close friends and family to help raise some capital and get things started. Turns out buying bulk fabric and notions is pretty expensive lol

View attachment 635395View attachment 635394

Great looking gear! Good luck on your start-up!
As you move forward, be careful on how much time and effort you put into custom/personal gear offerings since they can become a time suck (negative revenue generation) overtime. But, they will help expand your experience, skill and creative mind.
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles