Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Having had a Brother industrial machine that I inherited and since sold, I am trying to find another industrial machine to take its place. I have watched the Sailrite videos and noticing that they sell a deep throated machine, it began a very interesting train of thoughts. The Sailrite sales are out of Indiana and since I live in Denver the idea of ordering and having a machine delivered isn't really the way I want to go as the assembly and setup would have to be done by me. I am sure the process would be a real learning experience but perhaps not the process I really want to go through.
Is there a better way to do this purchase? Any thoughts?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Question for those looking for a machine: what would you consider is a reasonable amount to pay for a use/new commercial/industrial walking foot machine?

(Not a trick question or looking to sell a machine, just looking to see what you are thinking these machines cost.) thanks

krick3tt

Adventurer
A really good new one, about $1500 to $2000 with table, extra bobbins, the works. Used about $1000 for all that.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd top out at about $400, but I know some true heavy duty commercial machines can go for 3-4-5x that and I just can't / won't pay it. I've got too many hobbies and demands on my wallet and need it too infrequently to pay a lot more. So I'm settling on the idea of a good older used domestic machine with a metal drivetrain. I'd love to have a used commercial walking foot machine, but they're harder to find than hen's teeth around here and I couldn't afford one if I found it, anyway.
My long-deceased FIL ran an auto upholstery shop out of his garage. His gear was sold off long before I had a use for it. Missed opportunity. Nobody even recalls what type of machine he had. I just recall it was a plumber's putty gray color on the body and it looked old, over 15yrs ago.

Lucky j

Explorer
I play with what I could find up here. Since shipping within canada and even worst from the US would be a deal killer.

So I got my self a Baracuda by Reliable. It as a walking foot. I have sown more than a 1/4" of leather, many layer of heavy sail canvas, even paper pads so the the glue would not fail.

I could say I beat the crap out of it, and so far it is working good for me. But I am not into nice stuff, but more into stuff that I need to create or repair. I even used it to repair my car snow shelter.

Original plan was to rebuilt / fix my wrangler soft top, turned out, I purchased a new to me LJ. But never regreted the machine. Got it in the same period I got a new chain saw and a Lincoln welder.

Gf is laughing at what I have on my wish list. Lol

Gascan4X4

All chaps, no jeans.
I play with what I could find up here. Since shipping within canada and even worst from the US would be a deal killer.

So I got my self a Baracuda by Reliable. It as a walking foot. I have sown more than a 1/4" of leather, many layer of heavy sail canvas, even paper pads so the the glue would not fail.

I could say I beat the crap out of it, and so far it is working good for me. But I am not into nice stuff, but more into stuff that I need to create or repair. I even used it to repair my car snow shelter....

...Gf is laughing at what I have on my wish list. Lol

Time to upgrade the GF...? J/K!
Any chance you can confirm the model number of the Barracuda machine you got? Pretty please?

Question for those looking for a machine: what would you consider is a reasonable amount to pay for a use/new commercial/industrial walking foot machine?

(Not a trick question or looking to sell a machine, just looking to see what you are thinking these machines cost.) thanks

Which brings me to a question directed at the more experienced seamstresses/seamsters: Why shouldn't one spend, say, $500 for a brand new Barracuda by Reliable, with its glowing reviews, instead of buying a used "industrial" machine for $500-$800 in unknown condition? This would be used for hobby sewing of canvas, nylon and some leather.

Lucky j

Explorer
Time to upgrade the GF...? J/K!
Any chance you can confirm the model number of the Barracuda machine you got? Pretty please?

Which brings me to a question directed at the more experienced seamstresses/seamsters: Why shouldn't one spend, say, $500 for a brand new Barracuda by Reliable, with its glowing reviews, instead of buying a used "industrial" machine for $500-$800 in unknown condition? This would be used for hobby sewing of canvas, nylon and some leather.

I have the 2000U-33

It as the motor that as 2 x 1/4 toothed drive belt, the motor can be replace by a hand crank (machine is desigh with sail boath in mine, so that people could fix their sails w/o power.

The thing is regular sawing machine size, but really heavy. It can be fitted in a standard sawing machine table or come with a small table top plastic base. Has a steel carrying handle on top.

I am not saying that this is the best machine outhere, but is is better at what I do than my old 60's cats iron base singer that I use to play with.

Look at it as a really beefe standard machine that use a big sturdy needle and nice tread.

I really does what I am expecting of it. And at the time, I paid 600 can $. So about 425,00us.

Something better is probably available. But this is the one I could find and it works well for me.

plh

Explorer
Ha Ha !!
What an absolute piece oshít.
But for its price, It will be worth it just as a bizar Steampunky artwork.
In fairness, It might actually work. But definitely need constant fiddly adjustment and fixing.
btw,
'Dunno much about super long skinny bed machines like that, I suspect its manual feed chainsticher ?
If you search Alibaba, You can find all manner of rudimentary sewing machines what might be more 'ExPo Worthy.

Yep. Lots of YouTube videos on these that make them seam sorta capable.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Sailrite sells "Seamstick" tape. It sure helps a novice get the seams lined up better and the tape they sell was way better than some cheaper tape I tried years ago. It actually worked on our heavy Sunbrella. A bit late now bu they are currently offering 10% off machines.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure

I have a lot of Festool in my wood shop and am not afraid of a spending bucks on a good tool. Prolly be comfortable spending around a grand on a quality sewing machine. The reason I haven't is because I don't know how to use one. Heck...I don't even know what I need.

The 20 inch throat on my local cobbler's machine always impresses me when I watch him use it (with a hand wheel). It has a motor but I've never seen him touch the pedal. Didn't seem to have a walking foot either. He did tell me that they were around $2K new. Great big cast iron monster.

Good idea about a sewing class. I'll start looking around for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles