Sewing Thread....A discussion on making your own adventure textile gear.

Louisd75

Adventurer
On the topic of the Sailrite, here's the latest completed project, a handlebar bag for the kiddo's bike based off of the Bags By Bird handlebar bag:

handlebar bag.jpg

I actually used a combination of the Sailrite and the Brother for much of it. The Brother has better slow speed control but the Sailrite has the oomph. I've heard good things about the Worker Bee motor for the Sailrite and I'll likely pick one up at some point. It's got some oopsies that I need to go over and redo but it was a good test piece, I'm making bags for the whole family. Maybe I'll get through the four rolls of waxed canvas sitting in the corner of my family room...

taugust

Adventurer
On the topic of the Sailrite, here's the latest completed project, a handlebar bag for the kiddo's bike based off of the Bags By Bird handlebar bag:

View attachment 770931

I actually used a combination of the Sailrite and the Brother for much of it. The Brother has better slow speed control but the Sailrite has the oomph. I've heard good things about the Worker Bee motor for the Sailrite and I'll likely pick one up at some point. It's got some oopsies that I need to go over and redo but it was a good test piece, I'm making bags for the whole family. Maybe I'll get through the four rolls of waxed canvas sitting in the corner of my family room...

I can vouch for the Worker B. It has great slow speed control.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So, for years I've used Pelican Cases as my Land Cruiser/Off-Road storage system but, now I've transitioned over to Zarges Cases.
To start, I'll be using them as dryfood storage and camp kitchen and since they'll be carried inside the RR I figured I'd sew out a couple of ATC Topless Case Liners to help reduce rattle/noise.
Pretty straight forward, 1000 D Black Cordura with 1" webbing grab handles on the outside and 1000 D Orange Cordura on the inside to help with reflective light inside the case. They're "fitted" to the inside of the case so they shouldn't collapse and the handles will make it easy to remove the liner once home and unpacking the dry goods.

F1315DC0-E164-4A22-9063-C36CF6456E67.jpeg8ED1E8CC-863E-4C50-816E-E5902250195C.jpeg0F8EF78C-71C1-4334-BB75-AB16DAB14AE1.jpeg39F11659-159F-4F20-8EA3-2063FF6688F0.jpeg

taugust

Adventurer
Nice! I have 3 used Zarges cases that I plan to use in my GX once the drawer/platform is built. I still haven't decided what goes where, but was thinking of modular packing cubes to go inside. ? The problem is the opening is smaller than the wall dimensions, so space is lost one way or the other. I haven't decided how to resolve that yet.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Nice! I have 3 used Zarges cases that I plan to use in my GX once the drawer/platform is built. I still haven't decided what goes where, but was thinking of modular packing cubes to go inside. ? The problem is the opening is smaller than the wall dimensions, so space is lost one way or the other. I haven't decided how to resolve that yet.

The top sealing "lip" really doesn't cause an issue since the textile packing cubes will be "squishy" and come right out. For example,
I built some large cubes for my other cases that come right out when filled with gear. 9E9C1071-9517-4AE2-9DC6-BC3C5EED029F.jpegECFF07C2-9ADA-4E58-9000-31A317ED6BA0.png

Louisd75

Adventurer
The top sealing "lip" really doesn't cause an issue since the textile packing cubes will be "squishy" and come right out. For example,
I built some large cubes for my other cases that come right out when filled with gear. View attachment 771292View attachment 771293

For some reason this reminds me of a puzzle roll I tried making out of waxed canvas and wool felt. Didn't work out very well for the puzzle but now we have a nice small blanket with waxed canvas on one side and wool felt on the other :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
For some reason this reminds me of a puzzle roll I tried making out of waxed canvas and wool felt. Didn't work out very well for the puzzle but now we have a nice small blanket with waxed canvas on one side and wool felt on the other :)

Excellent!

Yeah, I make those out of our US wool blankets and waxed canvas. The really cool ones have rip-stop waxed canvas and last forever!

DaveNay

Adventurer
Greetings all! I have recently been bitten with the desire to make some gear for personal use. We have this sewing machine in our basement that we inherited from an unknown relative many years ago. I was wondering if this machine is durable enough for sewing canvas and waxed canvas? I have no idea if the machine is complete, nor do I have a manual for it. My guess is that a "average" machine of this vintage should be significantly stouter than a "heavy duty" modern machine (without getting into commercial grade)

Necchi BU *NOVA* sewing machine.

Attachments

• 20230410_105452.jpg
    20230410_105452.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230410_105459.jpg
    20230410_105459.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230410_105509.jpg
    20230410_105509.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26

plh

Explorer
Greetings all! I have recently been bitten with the desire to make some gear for personal use. We have this sewing machine in our basement that we inherited from an unknown relative many years ago. I was wondering if this machine is durable enough for sewing canvas and waxed canvas? I have no idea if the machine is complete, nor do I have a manual for it. My guess is that a "average" machine of this vintage should be significantly stouter than a "heavy duty" modern machine (without getting into commercial grade)

Necchi BU *NOVA* sewing machine.

I used my "old" Necchi 535FA, not as old as yours, to hammer through several layers of 3 layer Gore-tex for a tent I made a couple years ago. Handled it like a champ.

Last edited:

taugust

Adventurer
This latest project is kinda "crappy." ? A bag for my portable toilet and extras. For decades this has bounced around in the back of my Tacoma on trips. Now all the bits are contained together.

I added to the complexity considerably by some design decisions, but I'm still learning.

Main pocket for the toilet, and a pouch in the front for extra toilet bags. Side pocket holds extra poo powder and a couple rolls of TP and wipes.

Attachments

• 20230424_214420.jpg
    20230424_214420.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230424_214247.jpg
    20230424_214247.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230424_214355.jpg
    20230424_214355.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230424_214110.jpg
    20230424_214110.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
This latest project is kinda "crappy." ? A bag for my portable toilet and extras. For decades this has bounced around in the back of my Tacoma on trips. Now all the bits are contained together.

I added to the complexity considerably by some design decisions, but I'm still learning.

Main pocket for the toilet, and a pouch in the front for extra toilet bags. Side pocket holds extra poo powder and a couple rolls of TP and wipes.
Well done! Looks great!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If you attended the famous Rising Sun Cruise Moab event last week you got one of these ATC/CM 2023 Recovery Bags for free with your registration!

I love working with events/ Companies and dual-branding our ATC designed gear or custom making gear!

Here's a shot behind the curtain of us finishing hundreds of our Recovery Bags made in Colorado!

13F4DD88-06C6-4EE1-BA64-4554301BD0D1.jpeg

Sewingguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne