Setting up shocks

TexasD-90

Adventurer
I have a question for you experts. I'm adding shocks to my leaf sprung trailer. Is there a rule of thumb on %up travel vs. % down travel. If the shock has 6" of travel, how do you want to split the shock? I can adjust bump stops and limiting straps to accommodate any set up, but I want the shock to be set properly. Thanks!

4rundog

I'm no expert but I would try to find the max bottom out point and make sure the shock has just a bit left for an extreme condition then the rest is for up travel.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I would be surprised (impressed!) if your trailer had 6" of total suspension flex. I would mount them so they neither reach their maximum compression or extension when the suspension is flexed. And even if your suspension did have 6" of total suspension flex, if your shocks were mounted at a bit of an angle, the shocks themselves won't extend/compress 6 inches.

Brianj5600

I'm at the point of my build that I need to mount my shocks. Can you share your suspension? What springs? Shocks? Shock mounts?

4S50

The shocks that I used listed the recommended ride height, and also the up/down travel. I used this info to select shocks that matched the flex of my springs. Also, the mounting angle of the shock will influence the effectiveness of the shock, closer to vertical is better.

old_CWO

Working on this right now for my trailer. Here are the dimensions of the shocks I am using:

compressed - 9.625
recommended static - 12.5
extended 14.75

Those measurements favor up travel a little bit; 56% to 44%. If I had to sacrifice one, it would be down travel. Since trailers pivot on the hitch I don't think full extension is very common.

Brianj5600

@old_CWO 555003 Monroe's? What springs are you using?

I am using Chevy Colorado springs. They are around 51" long and allow good travel. My plan is to mock it up with only the main leaf to allow me to easier ratchet strap it down to full compression. Then configure the shock mounts to compress the shock to within about 3/8" of compression at full bump. I want the shock as vertical as possible...I think. Packaging makes it difficult on my trailer to keep the shock from loosing effectiveness at full bump due to the shock being at a low angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94