Setting up Jeep Gladiator for overlanding. Power storage question.

Jurfie

Adventurer
This is the one @Cesna Jeeper is trying to link to; it seems to work on my iPad:

Edit: weird, it keeps defaulting to media no matter how I edit the code.

Screenshot:
CCFDEE26-7835-4CC2-A882-566E16B15F0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Cesna Jeeper

Yep, this website changes amazon links to some sort of ad interface. So this diesel heater, assuming the one above is the one you were talking about. Where do you have that mounted?

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have one mounted to my van floor, one mounted in a portable tool box, and mounted in the case it came in...

For the gladiator, I would go the toolbox method. Revere Overland on Youtube has a great set of videos on this subject (I think he copied me! hah - j/k, don't know the guy). (He is a bit unfair in his later videos about the cheap chinese diesel heaters...they are inexpensive and run really really well if properly cared for).

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
WOW you kick ass. Thank you for sharing all this!

So two questions for you. Have you seen the propane heaters that work in same way as diesel? Also are you talking about something like this one:

I don't know what you posted. Happy Buy Diesel Heaters is what I have use - works fine. I have a 5 and 8kw...no difference in size, but the 8kW does produce a bit more (and man it is A LOT of heat - the air will burn you pretty fast it is so dang hot!)

Propane heaters (like Propex) are very nice units - but they are very very expensive - and total overkill for a RTT application (especially in a toolbox style mount).

Mr Buddy Heaters can be used in tents if properly vented - they WILL produce CO, but it is negligible IF the unit is running properly. They WILL consume all of your Oxygen to the point where a match won't light (yup - been there, seen it happen, didn't die, but felt like poop). You must keep the vents open when using a Mr Buddy heater all night long. I used a CO2 monitor with Mr Buddy propane heater and was amazed at the results (huge PPM levels after a short time). Again, open combustion w/o chimeny in an enclosed space is not my idea of a good time - but lots of people do it and don't die.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I wouldn’t use a propane heater all night; just long enough to take the chill out of the air until I fail asleep in a quality down sleeping bag. Then on again in the morning to entice me back out of the ‘bag, get dressed and ready to make coffee.

A vented diesel heater would be pure luxury and make sense if you we’re going to hang out in the tent during the day in really cold temps. But when I go camping it is to get outside, not to hang out in a tent/camper all day. But to each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior