Setting up Jeep Gladiator for overlanding. Power storage question.

Milamr

The Bush Company hard shell tents have racks available that you could permanently mount solar panels to if that is the direction you want to go in.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Cesna Jeeper

The Bush Company hard shell tents have racks available that you could permanently mount solar panels to if that is the direction you want to go in.

WOW those are nice tents, but all are out of stock or back order status only.

Milamr

I had to wait 4 months for my RTT and 270 awning. Southern Xpeditions is near by so when they came in Derrik dropped them off at my house.

Cesna Jeeper

I had to wait 4 months for my RTT and 270 awning. Southern Xpeditions is near by so when they came in Derrik dropped them off at my house.

hey that is cool with Southern Xpeditions. LOL still long wait! How much did they charge for freight coming in from Australia?

Milamr

It depends on the size of the individuals. I would look up the matress size and then mock it up and see if your family will fit. I like it 10X better than the Smittybilt I used to have.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
What is your build objective?

Weekend warrior/once and a while/family trips occasionally...or full blown 'expo' build?

For your gladiator:

1) A 100Ah battery lithium would be a huge luxury. 100Ah lead acid (50Ah usable) is MORE than adequate. Many are using a 68Hr Grp 34 dual battery setup in their Jeeps. Get a DC/DC for lithium. A DC/DC is a very nice to have for LA.

2) 500-1kW inverter for LA 100Ah. 1500W - 2kW (pk) for lithium.

3) tent heat : Mr Buddy Propane Heaters are the easiest. These are safe and many like them... biggest issue is freezing of the small bottles in really cold weather. Also, condensation and oxygen refresh must!!! be managed.

Diesel Heater (Happy Buy or equivalent) put combustion outside (preferred) of the tent. I have diesel heaters and will never go back.

4) Solar - 100-200W rigid solar on top...either the cab or mounted on roof of Hardshell tent. Get a Victron controller.

5) 2 adults/1 kid in typical hardshell (narrower than queen bed width - usually a double) is going to be tight ... Depending on your size, no one will sleep well. I'm 6', wife is 5'9, kid is 5 and over 4'....we don't fit/sleep well in those setups. We are not overweight, but are not slight in frame. Look for a larger clamshell RTT (like ikamper) for more comfort. Your kid (and you), if not full grown, will want the space. The iKamper hardshell will help somewhat with the wind.

6) typical soft RTT/like collapsible bags take a look time to setup/teardown. Don't underestimate the annoyance of doing this on a roof - especially in the wet/wind/super dusty situations. Wind sucks in these units...big time.

7) Guys that run an open bed gladiator and then stack it full of expo gear ...personally I think are nuts - everything/everyone gets filthy dirty/dusty. To each their own...

Running a fridge and any electronics in an open bed is asking for trouble. The are a few that I know of that have gone this route AND have used it extensively (not fair weather only types) are relatively unhappy.... I'd suggest a sealed cover/top

8) if you do the above, bed organization is going to be important...being able to put stuff in the front (never touched, but important like a battery) vs gear at the back (food/water/toys) will drive certain behavior. Drawers, platforms,.etc. Or plastic bins...

Post some ideas/goals, and folks will be able to help you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Cesna Jeeper

Odd ball question, would you happen to know if there is a frame that mounts to the underside of a bed rack that is perfect size of solar panel that can be removed when I get to location? So basically it's above the deck, but below the tent. Man I hope that makes sense. Thanks again!

Cesna Jeeper

What is your build objective?

Weekend warrior/once and a while/family trips occasionally...or full blown 'expo' build?

For your gladiator:

1) A 100Ah battery lithium would be a huge luxury. 100Ah lead acid (50Ah usable) is MORE than adequate. Many are using a 68Hr Grp 34 dual battery setup in their Jeeps. Get a DC/DC for lithium. A DC/DC is a very nice to have for LA.

2) 500-1kW inverter for LA 100Ah. 1500W - 2kW (pk) for lithium.

3) tent heat : Mr Buddy Propane Heaters are the easiest. These are safe and many like them... biggest issue is freezing of the small bottles in really cold weather. Also, condensation and oxygen refresh must!!! be managed.

Diesel Heater (Happy Buy or equivalent) put combustion outside (preferred) of the tent. I have diesel heaters and will never go back.

4) Solar - 100-200W rigid solar on top...either the cab or mounted on roof of Hardshell tent. Get a Victron controller.

5) 2 adults/1 kid in typical hardshell (narrower than queen bed width - usually a double) is going to be tight ... Depending on your size, no one will sleep well. I'm 6', wife is 5'9, kid is 5 and over 4'....we don't fit/sleep well in those setups. We are not overweight, but are not slight in frame. Look for a larger clamshell RTT (like ikamper) for more comfort. Your kid (and you), if not full grown, will want the space. The iKamper hardshell will help somewhat with the wind.

6) typical soft RTT/like collapsible bags take a look time to setup/teardown. Don't underestimate the annoyance of doing this on a roof - especially in the wet/wind/super dusty situations. Wind sucks in these units...big time.

7) Guys that run an open bed gladiator and then stack it full of expo gear ...personally I think are nuts - everything/everyone gets filthy dirty/dusty. To each their own...

Running a fridge and any electronics in an open bed is asking for trouble. The are a few that I know of that have gone this route AND have used it extensively (not fair weather only types) are relatively unhappy.... I'd suggest a sealed cover/top

8) if you do the above, bed organization is going to be important...being able to put stuff in the front (never touched, but important like a battery) vs gear at the back (food/water/toys) will drive certain behavior. Drawers, platforms,.etc. Or plastic bins...

Post some ideas/goals, and folks will be able to help you.

WOW you kick ass. Thank you for sharing all this!

So two questions for you. Have you seen the propane heaters that work in same way as diesel? Also are you talking about something like this one:

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
WOW you kick ass. Thank you for sharing all this!

So two questions for you. Have you seen the propane heaters that work in same way as diesel? Also are you talking about something like this one:

None of your links work. Try posting w/o video...and just the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles