Setting Staun Deflators

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I have a set of Staun Deflators that I bought 20 years ago or so and never used. I decided that I wanted to use them for my Class C since I not only run a lot of pressure on-road (80psi) but have 50% more tires to deflate now.

I followed the instructions on the card (still in the leather pouch!) which was the same as the video I saw here linked back in 2008. Unfortunately, I didn’t find it quite so easy. It took considerable back and forth to get them set close to 30psi rather than the simple “set your tire pressure where you want it and unscrew until you hear air come out.”

I found that I needed about 30psi of excess air pressure to get them started at all so I was only able to set them by airing up to 60psi then testing until they close, testing the pressure and airing back up and trying again. I used a bicycle tire so air-up was fairly quick, but it still took a bit. Eventually I got them all set to about 32psi, but there’s no sense of fine control.

It leaves me wondering: does my set have problems with setup because they’re unused after 20 years or because they’re really designed to operate set to 20-ish psi and under?

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Uh, never mind. I searched around more and saw that I have the heavy duty set as identified by the two exhaust holes. They say they need 20 psi differential to start automatically.

Nothing to see here… move along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles