Seriously considering this, any advice for a first time 4x4 van buyer?

ale

found this locally: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ListingId=423248124&listingId=407572511&Log=0

And am really keen on checking it out. Could anyone point me in the direction of info/resources related to this 2006 e250 quigley conversion? The about section is pretty sparse and it seems like the price is fairly high. Carfax is clean and shows 1 previous owner in NJ prior to Va. Should I be concerned about rust, the engine, drivetrain?

Much obliged for any and all help!

Alex

Happykamper

Explorer
Ai can't help you with that. But that's a really clean looking canvas to start with, and you gotta like the price. Just be prepared to do it yourself mods are a second mortgage lol.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Without even looking at the van you have linked, what are your plans for it?
Aside from the $ to purchase the van, do you have more to put into it for getting the maintenance up to date and unfor seen problems?
And don't forget about the interior build and the costs associated with it, it winds up being double or triple from the original plans.
I'm not trying to be a pessimistic bastard but, every used vehicle has it's secrets.

rdcolorado

Observer
Just for reference I bought a 2002 e350 4x4 with 73k for 14.5k. Interior had 4 captain chairs and a bench with rear air.I would offer less but it does have low miles and looks to be in good condition.

Sent via tapatalk

ale

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses!

I've found out the engine is a 5.4 liter and according to the owner it was a commercial fleet vehicle before he owned it, and the under carriage is in good shape. I'm hopefully gonna set up a meeting soon to get an in person look.

As for my own plans, I'm considering keeping it fairly as is with the exception of adding insulation to the interior and replacing flooring. Ive been looking for a general all-purpose vehicle that can haul friends, family,gear, (bikes/skis/climbing stuff), etc and can be lived out of while on extended trips. It probably wouldn't be a daily driver unless necessary.

That being said I'd be driving from the east coast to colorado in a few months and then ranging around the west for awhile, I.e. Utah wyoming, Idaho etc.

Does anyone know what kind of fuel economy I should expect? Low gas prices now are great but I'd hope to have decent mileage that won't break the bank when prices go back up.

And, should this size engine hold up going up grades in mountainous regions?

And, any other general tips for when I look at it in person?

Edit: almost forgot, the ad says it has a lift kit installed. How do I determine if they're spacers or springs/shocks? And is it possible to easily asses the 4wd?
Thanks for all the advice!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'd bet that a high of 15mpg is all you'd see, less with more weight and elevation.

As for determining what's under the van, look! And then if you're not sure, take pictures and post them here. A LOT of knowledgeablepeople here who can pin point what is there.

ale

Onemanarmy

I definitely agree with you on the price and hope to negotiate it downward, but to what degree I don't know yet. Hopefully when I see it I'll have a better idea.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That price seems awfully high for a gasser. Looks clean but I didn't see a photo of the driver seat / dash which always makes me wonder

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'll put in a few cents. Number one thing....if it isn't exactly what you want, if you don't get complete warm fuzzies about cost, condition, features, etc....walk away. That's number one. The seller can tell you all day long what a great deal something is and that these kinds of vans are "rare" and/or "one of a kind" but the fact is they aren't. Not really.

I've owned just about every modern engine Fords stuffed into their trucks and SUVs, from the 5.4 all the way to e 6.7 diesel, excepting only the 6.2 gasser, and IMO the 5.4 doesn't belong in anything heavier than a 150 series. It's fuel economy is questionably better than the next up V8, but it's power is not comparable. It's not an engine I would settle for given any choice at all, especially if I expected to be hauling around any kind of load.

To be frank, given the engine, feature set, and cost, this isn't a van I'd be going to look at at all.

cherokeexj32

Van you are looking at

If I remember correctly that van has been for sale for a few months, so that might be something to use for leverage too.

Rob B.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If I remember correctly that van has been for sale for a few months, so that might be something to use for leverage too.

Rob B.

yes, and it all depends on your patience (and your ability to pay in cash). There are a couple of E-350 4x4 PSDs out there right now that you could have for significantly less than that (6.0 or 7.3).

Gooseberry

Explorer
Just a FYI that if you do a build out on the E250 you max out your weight quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ale

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I ended up passing on the sale just cause it wasn't the right fit for me. Now I'm eyeing a few of the vans posted in the vans for sale thread as well as this sweet thing: www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/ve...=200&maxPrice=20000&listingId=423900871&Log=0

Only issue its a bit of a trek to check out. I'm figuring the Diesel engine will handle that mileage fine. My only concern is performance at altitude and in really cold weather in CO.

The other option with an even better in price is this: greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5484393469.html I am thinking it may be easier to convert to 4wd down the road and as a gas vehicle Will be easier for me to deal with.

So that's my status as of now! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles