Seriously considering another clamshell RTT

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so years ago we had a Maggiolina. It was actually one of the first ones imported into the US as I understand it. (Do I get a prize, Autohome?) :)
>
It said, "Maggiolina, and GO!" on the side...haha. That become a mantra of our trip when we were on getting back on the road. That tent served faithfully for years, and has been resold a couple times on this site.
>
That being said, we're looking for another hardshell tent. I'm 6'0" tall 260lbs, and want something that's about 6'2" long inside.

What are the top choices these days? Is Autohome still the top of heep? I am planning on mounting it on an Eezi-awn K9 flat rack, or a simple thule bar setup - depending on overall cost.

Last edited:

fjrohrs

Adventurer
We ordered up the James Baroud Grand Raid XXL. It would be plenty long at around 79 inches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chmura

Adventurer
Why would someone purchase a clamshell style tent over the normal rectangular ones? Is it because the added headroom?

I read that people with the Columbus say they are a little tight on the toes, with toes sticking straight up. Laying down at a angle you will have plenty of room. So the extra long version is most likely always needed.

I am considering a hard shell tent myself, the hard part is choosing the correct one especially since you cannot easily view these in person..

Last edited:

photo nomad

Adventurer
Ok, so years ago we had a Maggiolina. It was actually one of the first ones imported into the US as I understand it. (Do I get a prize, Autohome?) :)
>
It said, "Maggiolina, and GO!" on the side...haha. That become a mantra of our trip when we were on getting back on the road. That tent served faithfully for years, and has been resold a couple times on this site.
>
That being said, we're looking for another hardshell tent. I'm 6'0" tall 260lbs, and want something that's about 6'2" long inside.

What are the top choices these days? Is Autohome still the top of heep? I am planning on mounting it on an Eezi-awn K9 flat rack, or a simple thule bar setup - depending on overall cost.

Check out the James Baroud tents. I love mine and there is a dealer near you in Escondido.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Check out the James Baroud tents. I love mine and there is a dealer near you in Escondido.

Nomad Ventures in Escondido is an authorized James Baroud dealer and has the new 360* tents in stock!

JamesC

Adventurer
I'm 6'0, if lay with my feet comfortably against the bottom I can stretch up and just reach the shell with my hand overhead. You could have a kid or a lot of gear comfortably piled between a 6' person and the shell.

James Baroud Grand Raid evo XXL. Great tent in all conditions so far. Latest, last week, was a high wind sand and riverbed silt storm in Big Bend country. Great protection.

lightnakite

Why would someone purchase a clamshell style tent over the normal rectangular ones? Is it because the added headroom?

I read that people with the Columbus say they are a little tight on the toes, with toes sticking straight up. Laying down at a angle you will have plenty of room. So the extra long version is most likely always needed.

I am considering a hard shell tent myself, the hard part is choosing the correct one especially since you cannot easily view these in person..

I am having the same dilemma between these two JB RTT:

http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/products/hard-shell-tents/discovery-series/discovery-space/
http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/products/hard-shell-tents/evasion-series/evasion/

The Discovery Space solves the problem you mentioned about little foot room.
Main differences seem to be: window size, extent of ability to optimize ventilation using windows, views(imagine where your head will lie and the resulting view within the tent), and of course headroom/changing room in the clam style. The fan of the Evasion could be very nice in hot weather as it is much closer in proximity to your body. If two friends want to sleep opposite directions in the tent, the Space may not be as comfortable in this case. Price is the same.

The 2-minute setup/takedown time is such a big selling feature for me on these, and how solid they are in high winds.
I'm very excited to add one to my setup. I'm leaning towards the Evasion despite really wishing I could have that extra headroom and changing space.

rino

I am having the same dilemma between these two JB RTT:

http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/products/hard-shell-tents/discovery-series/discovery-space/
http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/products/hard-shell-tents/evasion-series/evasion/

The Discovery Space solves the problem you mentioned about little foot room.
Main differences seem to be: window size, extent of ability to optimize ventilation using windows, views(imagine where your head will lie and the resulting view within the tent), and of course headroom/changing room in the clam style. The fan of the Evasion could be very nice in hot weather as it is much closer in proximity to your body. If two friends want to sleep opposite directions in the tent, the Space may not be as comfortable in this case. Price is the same.

The 2-minute setup/takedown time is such a big selling feature for me on these, and how solid they are in high winds.
I'm very excited to add one to my setup. I'm leaning towards the Evasion despite really wishing I could have that extra headroom and changing space.

I personally prefer the Space Evo, I sleep with my head towards the front with about 10" room above my head and the hanging divider is a great place for keys, phone, wallet, etc and is right behind my head. Being able to kneel in the tent is also a big feature that I overlooked until using the Space. I feel it gives the best of both worlds. :)

photo nomad

Adventurer
I have the Evasion Evo and love it. Enough room to sit up the full length of the tent makes it a great space for two in inclement weather.

lightnakite

I personally prefer the Space Evo, I sleep with my head towards the front with about 10" room above my head and the hanging divider is a great place for keys, phone, wallet, etc and is right behind my head. Being able to kneel in the tent is also a big feature that I overlooked until using the Space. I feel it gives the best of both worlds. :)

Interesting. I assume you have experience in the Evasion as well? I'm planning on using this in Central America and so am more concerned about air-flow on hot nights than the kneeling space. It seems in the position that you are sleeping you would not receive good air-flow/circulation vs. sleeping where the roof is high because there are no windows at the front. I definitely would like to have the best of both worlds -- can you comment as to how stuffy/hot it would get with your head at the front?

rino

Interesting. I assume you have experience in the Evasion as well? I'm planning on using this in Central America and so am more concerned about air-flow on hot nights than the kneeling space. It seems in the position that you are sleeping you would not receive good air-flow/circulation vs. sleeping where the roof is high because there are no windows at the front. I definitely would like to have the best of both worlds -- can you comment as to how stuffy/hot it would get with your head at the front?

Fortunately because of my job, I'm able to get my hands on a few demo models and get some real world experience. I would have to agree that the Evasion / Explorer technically has more ventilation, but with summer temperatures under 100 degrees the 270* of the Space was sufficient.

I would most likely suggest a 360* explorer / evasion / grand raid xxl if you plan to visit areas with high temperatures.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
….

Yes, you get a prize… and we are still very much in business after more than 20 years. I suggest that you consider an AutoHome Air Top - our most popular model - it has mattress that is 80" long - that's 6' 8" of room to stretch out.

And if you ever have a problem - we'll be here for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior