Series III daily driver/short trips?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
People laugh at me when I tell them that I don't have a functional radio in my Jeep. It fills the hole in the dash nicely, though.

KingSlug

Observer
King Slug,

Just curious, does the Vespa fit in the back of the Rover? With the extra room of an ambulance body I can see how it could.

A vespa will fit in the back of a 88 and a 109 and easily in a amby. I think you just need to do it. A rover is one of those things...

“Don’t dream it, be it."

Frankenfurter, Rocky Horror Picture Show

Jared

Wander

Expedition Leader
If one of the ones I'm looking at works I doubt I'll put a radio in either. They aren't very quiet so hearing the tunes wouldn't be easy and unless you install under one of the seats or get a locking cubby box it just wouldn't look right. For a trip you could always bring along a battery powered boom box or a talkative friend.

weatherm

Adventurer
I have a series.. hasn't failed me yet.

daily driver if I choose to. Its been a year and about 3k so far. I have replace a lot of things (seals, springs, wires .. etc...) but mechanically its great.

If your still pondering you want one, just bite the bullet.

I have a radio and can hear it until i get to high rpms :) haha

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

weatherm

Adventurer
be careful, way out your options, and choose the best.. don't snag the first one unless its just a absurd deal.

TeriAnn

Explorer
That's one thing I've never bothered with in a series, as I saw no point, a radio.

That's what I thought for the first 20 odd years I owned my truck. Then in a weak moment I built an over the windscreen console with a CB and radio. And I don't regret it. But then again I have all sorts of insulation throughout my truck and I live in the back when I camp. I've found music to be good company when I'm camping alone and need a little more than the rustle of leaves in the wind for company. It is also good company when I'm working on my truck.

I'm on my second radio now and it takes MP3 disks. This give me a chance to use old time radio dramas as well as loads of music. A chance to put Navajo flute music to use as a soundtrack while having lunch next to a ruin in Chaco.

I've decided that having a radio in a Series truck is not evil, nor is it the first step to going onto the harder stuff like leather seats and coil springs. I just like music. And sometimes, gasp, I play music when I drive.

1dancing_santas.gif

SuperSoniC_110

Observer
follow your heart, not your mind !

Series is fun as a daily.and if well maintained reliable as well
I commuted over 7yrs with a S3 109.just different style off driving, sticking to the right lane. I was cruising at 85km/h which is not the max speed for trucks here.

I skipped the highways most of the time with the Series and did the backroads.
I enjoyed every minute of it, wold do it again in a heartbeat

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've decided that having a radio in a Series truck is not evil, nor is it the first step to going onto the harder stuff like leather seats and coil springs. I just like music. And sometimes, gasp, I play music when I drive.
Oh, I never meant to imply a radio in a Series is evil. Just that none of mine have insulation, so there's no point in a radio for me as I wouldn't be able to hear it while driving.

Snagger

Explorer
I rebuilt my LR recently, but even prior to that, it was pretty reliable. Over a decade, I has slowly gone through most of the faults and rectified them, and only terminal chassis and bulkhead rot and a couple of broken springs on the 3rd/4th gear synchro hub made a complete rebuild necessary.

I still get little things go wrong, like the roof starting to leak after four years of complete dryness, and the alternator slipped on its tensioner arm, slackening the fan belt, but I rarely get any problems that would relegate me to public transport.

For trips like yours, a standard SIII would be fine. For going further, a few sympathetic mods like RM parabolics, an overdrive, Defender setas and seat belts and a Wright Off Road cabin matting set with La Salle head lining are all worthy additions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles