Series 109 Birthday present now Autumnal Equinox present

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Series 109 Birthday present now 1 1/2 years later

This started several years back when I purchased an SIIa 88" for my wife to enjoy. We quickly found out that its short comings would render it a very occasional driver until I could add the "improvements". So I sold it and since that time I've herd quite often how she still would like to have a 109/110 Land Rover someday. ( FYI she is not new to LR's having had 3 previously)

So here it is: 1965 Series 109 that had a stage 1 V8 conversion done by a PO twice removed.
It has RRC running gear V8, automatic, FT 4wd & CV's with a more recent 3.9 FI engine installed . Nice thing is all the work looks professionaly done.
It's in decent shape, the usual rust around the B & C pillars, one rust spot on the bulkhead. The frame is beyond its service life with multipal patches & sections replaced.

Near term is to fix the body rust replace the RRC seats with defender seats, look into installing front disc brakes and let her drive it for the rest of the year, ( I need the rest of the year to finish the Cummins/FJ) then rebuild it into a "classic" overland style rig.
I can add more pictures if anybody is interested

Attachments

• 1965 series stage 1 V8 clone.jpg
    1965 series stage 1 V8 clone.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Of course I forgot to mention she doesn't know yet:ylsmoke:

I am looking for a set of 16" steel rims, not wolf style, military 6.5X16 would be great:sombrero:

MuleShoer

Adventurer
We are 80 miles SW of Roanoke, East of Bland 6 miles (24315) then up Big Walker mountain 1.5 miles

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 42
  • PC1300027.jpg
    PC1300027.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 49

aek50

Adventurer
Was familiar with that truck from previous years and knowing the past owner. It is unique and should be pretty well put together besides the items to be expected on a series. Fun to have a 109 for a daily driver that can keep up with traffic on the interstate.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Was familiar with that truck from previous years and knowing the past owner. It is unique and should be pretty well put together besides the items to be expected on a series. Fun to have a 109 for a daily driver that can keep up with traffic on the interstate.

I purchased it from Peter L. in Florida he was straight up on everything and went out of his way to provide a pile of photos. At the moment the truck is with Evan Amaya in SC who is taking care of the rusted pieces and a few other items before I bring it home

shogun

Adventurer
Hmmmm, that doesnt look like an older Series at all. The hood, the hole in the RF fender, the dash; not older series.

Possibly one of the transition models, between series and defender?

Blueboy

Adventurer
@Barrows - thanks for your kind words. Yes; it was restored by ECR.

Hated to sell, yet, with our move to Switzerland we had to re-Rover as the 109 was so modified it wouldn't have been able to be registered.

So we have a 94 RRC also prepared by ECR over here. And that was difficult enough to get registered.

Tried long term storage with the 109 when we lived in Brasil and it never really was the same when we moved back.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Hmmmm, that doesnt look like an older Series at all. The hood, the hole in the RF fender, the dash; not older series.

Possibly one of the transition models, between series and defender?

As I understand it a PO did a stage 1 V8 conversion which was the transistion from series III and the defender, this would account for the different front clip, mirrors etc.
the interior is RRC seating, aftermarket heater, and a complete rewire, and other bits. Also the seat box was removed to accomadate the automatic.
since I am rebuilding the B & C pillars it is my intent to refit an original seat box.

Barrows

Adventurer
@Barrows - thanks for your kind words. Yes; it was restored by ECR.

Hated to sell, yet, with our move to Switzerland we had to re-Rover as the 109 was so modified it wouldn't have been able to be registered.

So we have a 94 RRC also prepared by ECR over here. And that was difficult enough to get registered.

Tried long term storage with the 109 when we lived in Brasil and it never really was the same when we moved back.

I will stop highjacking this thread, I was in the shop a few times while your RRC was being built, it when through a lot of work. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz