Series 100 research

ADVNOMAD

After reading again EXPO’s Top 10 Overland list from 2011, we are researching what may be our last vehicle as we go into retirement.
The series 100 gets high marks in just about every category we can think up, just as Scott Brady did in 2011. Think mostly double track, forest service road, day trips, and Ultra dependable.

Two things keep nagging at me as I scour the used market.
1. Availability or lack of, wheel selection. Absolutely loved the TRD’s on my 1st. Gen Dbl cab Tacoma. Right up until I found the fist size rust hole in the frame a few months back and traded it in for a new C-HR for my wife.

2. I know the 100 engine longevity is revered worldwide. At some point, and probably sooner in the relationship than later, one would like the piece of mind that comes from a new or very low mileage stock engine. If I’m looking at an early model UZJ100, a good used 19-20 year old motor might be hard to come by. Another issue is a qualified person to perform a rebuild in the rural south may be just as hard to come by.

Any ideas from the 100 crowd?

I know the TRD Rock Crusher wheels are a common swap onto 100 series, not sure about others. I would check out Ih8mud.com for more info on that. As for your second point, I would look for a low mileage 2003+ so you can get the 5sp transmission. It makes a big difference in driveability. In this context low mileage would be anything around 100k. I'm rolling on 200k on my 2004 and have zero engine problems, so I wouldn't expect you to need a rebuild for quite a while. While I've read that the 4.7L in the 100 series uses some higher quality parts (forged rods for example), the base 4.7L engine was used extensively by Toyota, so finding someone familiar with it should not be an issue.

jsigone

here's my LX w/ the 308 bronze roost, offset is +18. Not as aggressive as the SCS F5s that are +10.
42531392715_16fbb3ef2a_c.jpg

hayde89

Any wheels that fit a tundra will fit the 100 series. That being said the 100 series has some fitment issues that could be an issue but would require only slight modification to most wheels that fit the Tundra.

4Beast

Observer
1. Is there a Rock Crusher wheel, I thought it was Rock Warrior? I actually like the 18" stock LC wheels, and to me anything aftermarket looks "ricer." Maybe I'm in the minority. If you want a more flush stance, you can get spacers (you'll need them anyway for the Tundra wheels).

2. The engine longevity is renowned for a reason, and miles are pretty low on the list of things to worry about, provided routine or preventative maintenance has been done. If you can find an 03 with less than 200k miles you'll probably get 150-200k miles without a rebuild, this isn't a Ford. Even if you put an engine in with, say, 75k I'm not sure how much you have reduced your chances of a major issue, perhaps a couple percent? As far as finding someone in the south to rebuild it, There seem to be a lot of people from all over the country on IH8Mud, some of whom could probably direct you to someone, depending on where you are. I've never done it, but i have heard the teardown and build of these engines is fairly straightforward.

Last edited:

RND1

Observer
I'm with @4Beast I like the 18" stock LC wheels especially the '06-'07 hyper silver. If I was going to go with another wheel, it would be the 18" TRD Pro Tundra wheel in Black:

18 in TRD Pro Tundra wheel.jpg
While I love my 100 series, if your next vehicle is going to be your LAST vehicle going into retirement, I'd go with the 200 series. Early on, I thought the 200 series looked like a bloated Highlander / minivan, but I love the 200 that Nitrogear built:

TRD Pro 200 Series.jpg

Awkragt

Adventurer
Point 1: Most tundra wheel fitament issues are resolved via wheel spacers or trimming the center caps. I've been running tundra wheels for almost a year without center caps in the front.
Point 2: I bought a 98 with 198K on the odometer and have taken it to 285K so far. These really are exceptionally reliable vehicles.

This site tracks statistics from vehicle inspections performed at auctions. So better information than your typical jd power or consumer reports surveys. 1998-2007 score extremely high when compared to other SUV. The average Landcruiser on the road has 180,000 miles.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Land_Cruiser.html

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have read the 100 Series is "underpowered" with no other explanation. Has anyone experienced that as an issue ?

CSG

Explorer
I have read the 100 Series is "underpowered" with no other explanation. Has anyone experienced that as an issue ?
I think the '02 LX470 I own is a bit underpowered. For me, that means acceleration from a standstill or passing on the freeway. It's OK but it's not as much power as I'd prefer.

kdeleon

Observer

It's all relative, bigger HP and Torque for the newer Land Cruisers. I think the Land Cruiser number (40, 55, 60, 80, 100, and 200) reflects the attainable speed. And yes, there is a 200mph Land Cruiser 200, i don't know why, but there's one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles