Sequoia Rig

Panhandler

With a single bed inside and the double RTT, this is a great camping vehicle for myself and the kids (11/13). Stock other than rear air bags. Nitto Grapplers are more than adequate. Nice and comfy on the Hwy and handles mild off-road just fine. 4700 mile, 16 day trip from the FL panhandle thru TX, NM, SW CO. Only a van would do it any better for us.
c87bf159167f59aff8eb5a053b22f65b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oldcelicaracer

Observer
Did u cut down the mounting bolts for the tent or just use shorter ones to mount it .I'm worried about the tent making contact with my roof when we are all in it

Panhandler

I tried adding a Thule rack to raise the tent but it made too much noise so I used shorter bolts and original roof rack. It’s a PIA to mount but I figured it would make it harder for someone to steal. No issues with anything touching the roof.

Panhandler

88ed880e8d1b6b65620412fd008a670b.jpg

Nice and clean before departure for trip.
64dc064f85c280d43f8c2bd864900b09.jpg

Stop in Dallas for some monkey business.
33e78bc378304fce8215218076c4302d.jpg

Night 15 north of Vail near Lost Lake.
If you were thinking pics of specifics such as mounting the RTT I can do so.

Panhandler

The black tool box is sitting on a slide in moto carrier, which is in a receiver adapter that raises the carrier about 4” and back about 6”. This allowed for additional clearance between the ground and rack, (very much needed in places) and a platform between the box and vehicle for a greasy grill, water, etc. I always strap the rack to the roof racks to help with weight and excessive sway. The box carried a $25 cooler, drained out the bottom, and all the items needed to cook and such. I insulated the box with 1” foam panels to reduce the heat inside. The cheap cooler held ice for about 36 hours and kept all the soft plastics and such from baking in the summer sun.
The kids trip ended in Denver with a flight home. I was to then pick up a dirt bike and head back to Taylor park for some riding but after 2+ wks on the road and 2500 miles from home, my body and CC needed a break. I would have had to empty the box and put it into the vehicle to carry the moto. After a flawless trip of a lifetime, I chose to bale on motoing tired and solo and head home.
This trip was actually a recon mission for the future. The RTT will go on the newly remodeled Ugly Duckling ADV trailer and 3 bikes inside. The trailer will be home base around Buena Vista while we roam on motos and Sequoia.
Average mpg was 14 in the flatlands and 70mph zones and 13 in altitude, 75 zones. I like the pulling power of diesel but I think as long as the Sequoia can pull hills with what I need, which hopefully stays at a minimum, there will be no reason to “upgrade”.
ea2490084c73cf15d00eb84d550eae44.jpg

cb3301ac02241877f9b597d2457a047e.jpg

Panhandler

Not whistling as much as just loud wind noise. I didn’t like the added height also, even if just 4-5”. I can fit in some car garages but not others. I can’t remember off hand but I did research the Oem rack limitations and we were within them. I do plan to make a wind deflector in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles