Sequoia lifted w/tires and wheels!

stom_m3

Observer
Here is the finished product for the skid plates. I really like what they did. Clean look, fully serviceable. Maybe it will even smooth out some of the air flow.

Front skid covering oil pan, another covering transmission, and last one in the chain covering the transfer case.

Closer up showing the transmission and transfer case skids. The half moon shapes are where the drain plugs for the tranny and oil are.

Gas tank skid

Anchor point for the rear of the gas tank skid

Rear diff cover

Last edited:

Bandit9

Observer
What a great setup on the skid plates. Man, when you do it, you do it right. If you don't mind, how much did the skid plate setup run you?

For the rear shock setup and the skid plates, can you provide the name of where you had this stuff done? Point of contact? I bought Land Rover Discovery last April, and just sold it last week. Now I'm back looking at Sequoia's.

stom_m3

Observer
What a great setup on the skid plates. Man, when you do it, you do it right. If you don't mind, how much did the skid plate setup run you?

For the rear shock setup and the skid plates, can you provide the name of where you had this stuff done? Point of contact? I bought Land Rover Discovery last April, and just sold it last week. Now I'm back looking at Sequoia's.

Thanks. The skid plates were in the $1200-1250 range. I forget the exact number but know it was close to that. I got the majority of the fabrication work done at "The Truck Shop" here in San Diego. James is the owner.

The rear shocks I purchased from Brian Jowett @ Jowett Engineering. He worked with King to come up with the right fit. When I first got the shocks, there wasn't enough dampening. I went to King directly and we changed the shim stack to the thickest stack for the piston. To get any additional dampening would have required a different piston. That said, I'm looking to still increase the amount of dampening I have in the shock. The high and low speed compression are right but could use more rebound control. I have yet to make it back up there to try a different piston.

Good luck with the Sequoia. I just recently put on new shoes for the Sequoia; Toyo RT's in a 275/70/18. It's an ok tire. I'll post pics but wanted to get miles on them first before I gave my impressions. I have about 3k miles on them now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bandit9

Observer
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call Brian today. I'm trying to get a list together of everything I want to do to my Sequoia, so I can figure out what spring rate I will need to add to compensate for the lift height after every thing is installed over the course of time. I don't want to have to install the suspension lift twice.

It is a shame you don't have external rebound adjusters like on a dirt bike shock. A couple of clicks in and you can slow down that rebound. Assuming your issue is the rear end bouncing. Does King make a shock with external R and C adjusters? Hi/Lo Comp adjustments would be nice too. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks to have that available to me, considering how different the weight and speeds we drive on our off road adventures compared to our M-F daily use.

aesconde

Stom_m3 - Can you post the specs (extended length) of the shocks Brian had built for you.

Bandit9 - Did you ever get in contact with Brian? His voicemail does not accept new messages, and he hasn't responded to emails.

stom_m3

Observer
Stom_m3 - Can you post the specs (extended length) of the shocks Brian had built for you.

Bandit9 - Did you ever get in contact with Brian? His voicemail does not accept new messages, and he hasn't responded to emails.

Aesconde - I have the 2.5 x 20" which is 1" longer than stock. I'll text Brian and ask him how to get in touch with him. I'll let you know.

aesconde

Stom_m3
Brian did get back to me. Thank you for contacting him.

Another question. From your other thread you indicated you got your rear springs from coil springs, and had went through a couple spring heights because the extra height in the springs didn't translate equally to lift height. What was the height of the springs you finally settled on, and how much did that actually raise the rear of the truck?

I currently have a 3" front lift with fox shocks and revteck 1.5" spacers in the rear. The truck has about a 1" reverse rake. I'd like to get to level or ideally a little rake. Would 2.5" extra height springs be sufficient, or should I go taller in anticipation of the springs settling a little.

Thanks for your help.

stom_m3

Observer
Stom_m3
Brian did get back to me. Thank you for contacting him.

Another question. From your other thread you indicated you got your rear springs from coil springs, and had went through a couple spring heights because the extra height in the springs didn't translate equally to lift height. What was the height of the springs you finally settled on, and how much did that actually raise the rear of the truck?

I currently have a 3" front lift with fox shocks and revteck 1.5" spacers in the rear. The truck has about a 1" reverse rake. I'd like to get to level or ideally a little rake. Would 2.5" extra height springs be sufficient, or should I go taller in anticipation of the springs settling a little.

Thanks for your help.

It's been a while but looking back at my notes here's what I have. The final spring provided 2 3/8" lift. Free Height = 15 7/8", wire diameter = 0.843", # of Coils = 6 1/4, Rate = 540lbs/in.

You will need to confirm that with them though. They had a different spring which could have either been a manufacturing change at Toyota, different spring perch mounting locations, or incorrect measuring. My stock spring measured at; free height 14 7/8", wire diameter = 0.780", # of coils = 5.5, coil diameter = 6". I believe the stock rate is 478lbs/in.

That said, if you plan on carrying more load or a trailer, you can up your spring rate. I like my current spring rate and has worked well for everything I do. Hope that helps.

stom_m3

Observer
Been a while since I've posted pics.

A few changes. I swapped out my rotors and pads for Centric Cryo Rotors and Hawk pads. They work awesome. Very happy with the results. Should have done it a long time ago.

I also switched to the Toyo RT from MT tires. I was pretty bummed at first because the face of the tire is much narrower and the sidewalls less aggressive than the MT's. The sidewall bulges a lot more too. The other thing I noticed was how much softer and quieter the ride was. I was looking for a quieter ride but not necessarily softer. That said, they did well on the trails and I found that I didn't need to air them down very much for a compliant ride over the rough stuff. The other thing I was bummed about was the height of the tire. The overall diameter is 0.4" less. The last thing I want to do is lose height. I could use all the clearance I can get. I'm hoping Toyo comes out with an RT in 285/70/18 or 295/70/18 tire soon. I would love to get it.

We just got back from Sedona. LOTS of red dirt. We did the usual trails which included Vultee Arch (Devil's Bridge), Boynton Pass/ Loy Butte Rd to Forest 9549, Schnebly Hill Rd, and Soldier's Pass Rd. Some of the trails were technically challenging especially in the rain which made things very slick. Most were very rough and somewhat slower going. Great sights, definitely want to go back sometime. We didn't get to do Broken Arrow and Robber's Roost though.

On to the pics.

Road to Van Deren Cabin

View to Devil's Arch

Van Deren Road Steps

Red Rock mud. This stuff sticks... like feathers to molasses

Beautiful Sedona overlook from Schnebly Hill

Toyo RTs. Worked well. Much softer than the MTs. Cleared mud fine.

Schnebly Hill views :)

Amazing how small the Sequoia looks against the rock formations.

Decent ledge getting out of Schnebly Hill

Beginning of Soldier's Pass. These rocks were setup as a break over test for the rest of the trail. I passed :)

Soldier's Pass trail

Soldier's Pass views

The trail is pretty narrow. Luckily it wasn't crowded.

View from the 7 pools area

Trail leaving the 7 pools

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz