Separating (composting) toilet pee tank?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Need to pick a route. I plan on a composting toilet that will be DIY.

Should I have a separate pee tank or run my kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower into the same tank?

I am thinking the grey water tank will be less likely to get as nasty without pee in it.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Need to pick a route. I plan on a composting toilet that will be DIY.
Should I run my kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower into the same tank [as my pee tank]?

yuck, just....yuck!

But if you do that, consider making sure you have a "P" trap in the pipes for the sinks and shower drains to keep the smells from coming into your camper's interior.

Ramdough

Adventurer
yuck, just....yuck!

But if you do that, consider making sure you have a "P" trap in the pipes for the sinks and shower drains to keep the smells from coming into your camper's interior.

P traps on everything will be used.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Nothing like first hand experience.
Collect pee in a mason jar, collect greywater in another and third, collect a mixture. In a week or so, discover which is worse.

Yeah......that would tell me something. I would prefer to have someone else lead the charge, but I guess that could be a fall back plan.

I would imagine someone here would know the answer already.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Have not built mine yet but since am recycling my sink and shower water, I will be using this. My compost is diy, I will have a funnel that acts as a urinal
KevinWP_004352.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Question is, when in a situation where you can't / don't want to just dispose of the small quantities of urine as they are collected, accumulating say 5+ gallons between disposal events,

will you keep your urine "pure", segregated from the grey water also collected during that time,

or combine the two?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Separate. I don’t think you need tons of urine storage. Make it easy to dump or remove a small tank to pour out. Depending on where you camp it can also go to ground

Reactions: WVI

javajoe79

Fabricator
What kind of diy compost setup are you doing? I’m going to build mine, just not sure how complicated I’ll make it. Thinking just a simple stirring mechanism and a tiny fan. I’ve been planning on a small pee tank under the truck with a ball valve drain so I can just leave it open where appropriate or keep closed when not.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I plan to buy a separator and have a 5 gallon bucket. Not sure on a mixer or not.

If I combine the liquids, I might plumb the sinks through the same p trap so it is always flushed with water after using the restroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles