Sensor Wire Splice

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Other than shrink wrap, can anyone share how they would waterproof and protect a splice repair job on a sensor wire? I need to replace a corroded connector due to a broken wire. It’s down low so it will be getting wet.

MontyTX

Maybe dielectric grease w the wrap and then longer/ larger shrink wrap over that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

tin both wires really well w/solder.. butt em together, rake the iron back and forth until the solder reflows em into one solid connection and then cover it in marine grade shrink wrap that has glue inside for a good seal, and ensure the wiring is secure so the rigid splice is not subject to excess vibration.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Can you unpin the wire from the connector and run a new wire?
I didn’t end up doing this, but I didn’t know this was even possible. Never thought of it.....too late now, new one is soldered in but I’ll look at the old one now and see if it could have been done.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I had a 3-wire sensor so I soldered each wire and shrink wrapped each, then shrink wrapped all 3 together with a bigger piece of shrink, then put that section of wire inside of a length of plastic wire conduit then filled the conduit with silicone. After that dried I coated the seam of the conduit with silicone as well. I think this will be enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior