Semi-vintage bicycle portable HF

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Allow me introduce you to my first radio...this Yaesu FT-301SD.

P1020750_zpsda336fde.jpg

This is a bit of a unique radio. It was Yaesu's first all solid-state HF Transceiver. The "S" variant was built without a final amplifier, likely in response to the energy crisis of the late 70s, and has maximum RF power output of about 10 watts, and the accompanying low 12v current draw. The "D" designates the digital frequency readout as opposed to the slide-rule...this thing was cutting edge!

My radio mentor lent me this radio as I was studying for my license at the age of 11. Listening on the bands was great motivation to pass the test so that I could answer the calls I was hearing. After I passed my Novice license exam, my Dad bought the '301 for me.

It has a few quirks that it's acquired over the years. The "VFO" light next to the frequency display has been burned out for as long as I've had it. The band and mode selector knobs make intermittent connection but with a little wiggling, they can always be cajoled to function properly. Note the "channel" knob on the lower right--the extra positions were supposedly for fixed crystal frequencies but none are installed on this radio. The signal meter has also gotten lazy. It's just my style--I'm drawn to things with personality.

Since this was a "field' radio in its day (it has the carrying handle on the side to prove it), I thought it was overdue to be toted out into the tumbleweeds. The grocery getter bike trailer is great for transporting radio gear. The little seat belts are perfect for restraining heavy, old radios.

P1020744_zpsc04c0982.jpg

The biggest obstacle on the way up the hill. Fortunately these "expedition vehicles" are light enough to self-extract.

The field shack consists of the trusty '301, a small 8Ah gel cell (plenty of juice for this radio), an MFJ tuner/SWR bridge and a Hustler vertical antenna supported by the tripod of a folding music stand and a few speaker-wire radials.

P1020747_zps042cc584.jpg

As soon as I had everything set up, the wind began to gust. It was tough to distinguish the whistling of the wheel spokes from carriers on the air. I found a few bricks to help hold down the antenna tripod and made a few triumphant contacts in the Missouri QSO party and a special event station in a Nat'l Park. I even had some good signal reports. I figured it was time to pack up after the antenna fell over for the sixth or seventh time (luckily never in the middle of a QSO) but it was great to get out. I have my eye on the weather report to plan the next time.

P1020748_zps24e08fb9.jpg

Cheers from gusty "0" land. Now it's time to go extract more tumbleweed from the spokes. 73!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior