Selling My Tundra/Hawk Combo to go diesel... Am I crazy??

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

I have a 2014 Tundra and 2018 Hawk combo that ive poured my heart and soul into building into the ultimate expedition rig.

Now that its done, I'm itching to build something new. I enjoy the build process as much as the adventures.

Has anyone gone from a Tundra to a 3500 for long distance travel?

Pros and Cons? Anything you'd do different?

The main thing i'm after is MPGs, but also payload.

Its also posted in the for sale section, but here is what i have, that im selling to go to one ton. Will i regret it?

tacollie

Glamper
I love my Tundra/hawk combo. That being said if a 6.4l Ram or 17+ 6.2l super duty was in my budget I would have bought one of those instead(I didn't want to go over $20k). You will get a significant payload increase with the similar gas milage. If you want better milage you will need to get a diesel. Tundra gets 3/4 gas milage with half ton payload.

I saw your ad. Your truck looks rad.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I love my Tundra/hawk combo. That being said if a 6.4l Ram or 17+ 6.2l super duty was in my budget I would have bought one of those instead(I didn't want to go over $20k). You will get a significant payload increase with the similar gas milage. If you want better milage you will need to get a diesel. Tundra gets 3/4 gas milage with half ton payload.

I saw your ad. Your truck looks rad.

Thanks bro! Am i reading your sig right?? Double cab LONG bed?? NICE!!!

bkg

Explorer
From 2015 CrewMax to 2016 F350 CCWB PowerStroke…

You won't recover enough via mileage differences to make it worth the investment. I averaged 10 towing my Tacoma with the Tundra. I get about 12 with Ford. Unlaiden, I got about 14 with the CrewMax and about 15 with the ford.

I will say that towing/hauling with the F350 is a SIGNIFCANTLY better experience than the Tundra. That was the reason I made the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles