Selling Iglhaut Sprinter 4x4 German reg in US?

renex

Hi,
I am René from Germany. I will send my Mercedes Sprinter Iglhaut 4x4 year 2000 Camper to the US this fall and would like to sell it next summer after travelling. Does anyone know if this is possible and if there is a market for selling this very special van. Anyone has an idea, what I could aim for in the US. Which state would be good to sell the van. I will be in the west most propably.
Thanks for your help
Rene

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A 2000 would not qualify for the 25 year rule exempting it from US safety and emissions compliance so selling it to a local may be tough. Might be able to sell it to another traveler?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi, Rene,

Many North American's would enjoy having such a van, but as stated above, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol would never allow it to stay in the country. It is a simple matter of the Vehicle Identification Number to tell the North American trucks from the rest of the world's Sprinters. When your Sprinter comes into the United States, it will be accepted for a maximum of one year, after which the vehicle will need to have been identified by Customs as having left. If it hasn't left, it can be impounded.

Sorry this isn't better news, but the regulation is pretty tight. Canadians vehicles only need fifteen years old, though, so you are not too far from that and though the Canadian population is much smaller, I suspect there might be buyers interested in a unique 4x4 like yours.

funky

I also intended to bring a 4WD-Sprinter across the Atlantic, use it for 2 or 3 years and then sell it in the US. But Mike is right: no way. I see "safety and emissions" as a code for protectionism. EU-regulations in both areas are just as stringent.

PoloTurbo

Observer
You would sell it in Canada no problem
I might be interested also.

Make sure to put an ad here or private me before you sell. :)

Have a nice trip

patrick dunbar

Interested in your sprinter

Hi,
I am René from Germany. I will send my Mercedes Sprinter Iglhaut 4x4 year 2000 Camper to the US this fall and would like to sell it next summer after travelling. Does anyone know if this is possible and if there is a market for selling this very special van. Anyone has an idea, what I could aim for in the US. Which state would be good to sell the van. I will be in the west most propably.
Thanks for your help
Rene

Hello Rene', Very interested in your sprinter. I have been researching buying one in Germany/Europe but there are many obstacles to deal with. It would be perfect if your van would work for our needs. We live in Taos, New Mexico. What we buy will end up in South America for extended travel. Please send me photos, camper build details, price, etc to: pdunbar44@hotmail.com
Thank You, Patrick

4xdog

Explorer
I see "safety and emissions" as a code for protectionism. EU-regulations in both areas are just as stringent.

I don't see it as protectonism. That seems a naïve explanation for a complex system. You'll have to back that up.

US regulations (especially California, and especially emissions) were for many years well ahead of EU regulations. The crap that was being grey-marketed right and left in the 80s and 90s left a bad taste with the regulatory folks. Now that safety and emissions between EU and US have mostly caught up with each other there's probably a lot that could be done regarding cross-approvals, but inertia is probably the best explanation.

Who would be trying to protect whom, anyway? The Europeans sell all kinds of vehicles here. If it was intended to keep them out it sure didn't work. The Americans sell a certain number of US-styled-and-made vehicles in Europe, but with most of the designs far from optimal for the markets they'll always be minor players. If it was intended to keep the US out of Europe it wasn't needed.

pugslyyy

I also intended to bring a 4WD-Sprinter across the Atlantic, use it for 2 or 3 years and then sell it in the US. But Mike is right: no way. I see "safety and emissions" as a code for protectionism. EU-regulations in both areas are just as stringent.

Hmm, you think the US automakers wouldn't like to easily sell vehicles designed for the largest market in the world in Europe without changes? We have a grand history of getting markets to consolidate & standardize like that so that a company can grow and dominate it.

However, if you look at the regs, you'll find a lot of differences - a lot of which just wouldn't translate. Which is probably why the US and Canada are not signatories to the UN "World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations". (we don't like the UN or other countries telling us what's best for us anyways) :)

While there are some cool vehicles that I wish we could have in the US, no way would I want the EU (or Australian) regulatory overhead. I'll stick with our self-certification system thank you.

renex

Thank you for your answers. I will come back here as soon as I will sell the van next summer.
Rene

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
A few things to clarify-
Rene- what is the GVW of your Sprinter? If it is over 10,000lbs, it only needs to comply with emissions, and even that may be possible.
The import rules we currently have ARE protectionism, plain and simple. They were petitioned for (ironically in this case) Mercedes Benz USA, to keep out lower cost gray market cars, protecting their business in the US. I can't find the citation right now.
Currently, particularly diesel emission standards are much tighter here.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Rene- what is the GVW of your Sprinter? If it is over 10,000lbs, it only needs to comply with emissions, and even that may be possible.
Hard to disagree with a guy with the forum name of Mr. Know-It-All, but I suggest you double check this information carefully.

Also, should anyone want an overview of importing a vehicle into the U.S., the summary writeup of CBP's requirements is here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

renex

Does anyone have an idea what price I could get for the sprinter? I know it is very hard to tell, but I have no idea about the market in Canada. The sprinter is built in 2000. It was fitted with 4x4 by Iglhaut. It is in good condition, serviced well. Has 190k km on the clock. Even here in Germany it is hard to tell what price would be realistic. Any advice is appreciated. Thanx.

pugslyyy

A few things to clarify-
The import rules we currently have ARE protectionism, plain and simple. They were petitioned for (ironically in this case) Mercedes Benz USA, to keep out lower cost gray market cars, protecting their business in the US. I can't find the citation right now.
Currently, particularly diesel emission standards are much tighter here.

Did you ever find that citation?

arlon

Adventurer
In 2000 diesels had no emission requirements I'm aware of (in Texas my 03 doesn't require an emissions inspection). May be easier than you think to get a 2000 diesel certified anywhere but California. My 2003 Diesel didn't even come with a catalytic converter. Gas would be a whole diferent story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior