Sell my on a frontier or tacoma.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
In the next six months I will probably be buying a new truck. I have narrowed down to a tacoma double cab 4x4 with not any options or a frontier pro-4x with lots of options. It seems the frontiers are quite a bit cheaper. Tell my why the frontier is better. My main concern is the front ends on the frontier. I would want to do an OME lift and fit 33" tires on stock wheels. Is this possible without other mods. Also the frontier looks smaller but claims to have more interior room. Anybody that has owned both trucks please give me some feedback. I have always wanted the tacoma but keep looking at the frontier and questioning why the tacoma cost more.

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I had the same dilema when I purchased my 2003 Xterra. I was looking at the Frontier and the Tacoma. The Toyota was 2000$ more than the Nissan pickup... When I saw the price on the Xterra (6000$ less than the Frontier) I figured I could buy a trailer for the hauling jobs and still keep 4-5000$ in my pockets ! The price difference in not as steep today but I'd recommend you consider the SUV over the pick-up...

This said, I don't see you having many issues with your Frontier... You might want to check out Nissan and Toyota Forums out there for all the problems and fixes for both trucks .

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Definitely going with a truck. If it was a suv a jeep unlimited would be my choice. My main concern with nissan is the front end durability, and the amount of work required to lift truck.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I can not sell you on the 2nd generation truck but from what I have heard the front ends just don't blow up. If you are spinning and get traction very quickly I've herd that can cause damage. My first generation truck is ten years old and pushing 175k miles with no major problems, and I put 100k of those on. What does that say? If your gut wants a Taco get the Taco. If you can not afford a Taco because it is 2 grand more I would question buying a new truck at all.

math_godin

Observer
I haven't owned any of them but I think both the Tacoma and Fronty are great trucks and it's only a question of personal preference...I was going to buy a used 2006 4runner but also had a look at the new generation Pathfinder. I could get a 2006 Pathfinder for a couple thousand less and with a lot more options than the 4runner. Toyotas are usually more expensive but I don't think it makes Nissan's truck being cheap. So I got that 2006 Pathfinder and I am really happy with it. Other than to have to change the battery, I had no issues at all so far after approx. 2 years and 49K (it had 25K I believe when I got it). I did not need a truck as I preferred to be able to bring gears and people with me on trips. It depend what you intend to do with your rig but for me the Pathfinder seems to be a great platform for expedition, I would say it's actually a Fronty in an SUV format but with an IRS. Of course if you are buying new then the Pathfinder is more expensive and I would go with a Fronty or an Xterra myself.

To fit 33 inches tires I am pretty sure you have to do the melt mod (explained in details on frontier/xterra forums) look up the tranny contamination issue (coolant mixing with tranny oil in radiator) as well on these forums but it may have been fixed on the newer models...It's an easy fix (no need for this on manual models).

All make have some issues but no sure about those on the Tacoma.

Hope this help.

Drake

What year model Frontier are you considering? The only years that really had a suspect front-end were from '05 to '07. A good number of reports of blown front-diffs which was found to be a result of a rapid heat-treatment on the gears which made them brittle. That process along with a few design changes in the diffs were corrected in '08 from what owners have told me. As far as '99 to '04, no issues of weak axles especially the rear (H233B). The H233B ring gear is (IIRC) 20mm larger than a Ford 9" and they rate the durability just under a Dana 60. One drawback might be is that it has a drop-in 3rd member but I believe Taco's are similar in that respect. The weakness in the 1st gens is the... I'll be honest... pathetic steering setup. Single-shear idler arm and centerlink are the weaknesses (understatement). But with a $40 idler arm brace, HD tie-rod adjusters and an aftermarket centerlink, you can build it to near bombproof.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thanks for the responses. I would be buying a brand new truck. Paying cash for the vehicle, my concerns were durability and value for money; not which one can I afford. Mainly the frontier is cheaper and that it is cheaper for reason. Is it because they need to be more competitive or is there inferior quality parts? If anybody has a 2010 or 2011 frontier please chime in. I'm just trying to give the frontier an honest chance before I buy the tacoma. I have about 6 months so I am doing as much research as possible.

Drake

If you haven't already, check out www.clubfrontier.org. Granted, you'll probably get some biased responses but at the same time, there would be some valid points to consider. As for the price difference, I wouldn't attribute it to inferior parts but more on reputation and resale value. Toyotas hold a much better resale value over Nissans or pretty much any other make across the board. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but I'm a bit biased towards Nissan. lol

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Frontiers have a much stronger frame, it is fully boxed all the way back unlike the Tacoma. Something to think about. There is many other things to compare too. When I bought my 04 Taco it was because I liked how it looks inside and out over the Frontier.

Frontiers are not inferior at all. In fact in many ways they are btter, see my comment about frames. Tacos have more aftermarket support and you will also be paying more for the Toyota name.

If I did it all over again, I may just go with the Frontier.

I suggest you spend a lot of time comparing both trucks in every detail possible. Then sit down and make up your mind.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
As far as '99 to '04, no issues of weak axles especially the rear (H233B). The H233B ring gear is (IIRC) 20mm larger than a Ford 9" and they rate the durability just under a Dana 60.

Nissan uses the numbers in the diff models to denote size of ring gear. H233 has a 233mm ring gear which is 233/25.4 = 9.17". Other common models are C200 and H260, again do the math to get actual ring gear size in inches.

Size however does not always make it stronger. The Ford 9" has a super buff pinion which is one reason it is so strong. You should also consider axle diameter and spline count. Both have a big effect on strength of the axle. Ring & pinion is just one part of the strength equation.

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I have a 2008 Frontier Crewcab Nismo with ~60K miles on it, but I have never had a Tacoma. Both are good trucks. It is very common for people to compare/contrast the Tacoma and Frontier when looking for a truck in that size. I chose the Frontier due to:
1 - cost - less than Tacoma with similar off-road features (rear locker, ...)
2 - features - fully boxed frame, metal bed, slightly more HP, bed tie-down system
3 - 'feel' - I liked the seats and ride better

There are reports of people breaking the front differential on the 2-gen Frontiers. I believe that most, if not all, were related to wheel spin and sudden traction. I have had no problems with with mine.

I am running 255-85-R16 BFG KM2 with a 2" cheap lift (front spacer and add-a-leaf rear) and have no tire clearance problems. I didn't even need to melt mod the inner fender.

This truck as served me well as a daily driver, hauling/towing yard materials, off highway exploring/camping, and general 4-wheeling (Colorado mountains, Utah slickrock, ...).

Again, both are good trucks with very similar capabilities for off-roading. I believe both need additional armoring (sliders and better skids). I believe you will be well served by either truck. As RMP&O stated, compare them, drive them, and decide which fits you better.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Both are good trucks, drive both and decide. I've driven a lot of trucks including the Tacoma and none quite have the driving dynamics that the current Nissan's do. I have 109,xxx miles on my Nismo (Pro-4X) and absolutely love that truck. Wheeling, towing, jumping, driving through saltwater and almost keeping up with my friends sports cars in the corners. It's been ridiculously reliable for what I've put it through. I do think the Tacomas are overpriced and you can get a loaded pro-4x for about $6k cheaper than a comparable Tacoma. The front diff issues are due to driver error. Unnecessary wheel spin can be the death of many differentials. If you can get a pro-4x with VDC (traction control) it will be very beneficial in tricky situations where traction is a problem.

DigB

The VDC is a great option however when in 4Lo and you have the rear locked the computer turns the VDC off if I am not mistaken. That being said both trucks are great and you won't go wrong either way. I've had an 03 Tacoma which I loved and I now have an 09 Pro 4X and I love the truck, I was on the fence between the Tacoma and the Frontier and I'm glad I got the Nissan!

4RExpo

Some of the Nissan advantages:

Roof Strength - The Tacoma is 3X its weight, and the Frontier is 4X its weight. Giving the Frontier a "Good" rating and the Tacoma a "Marginal" rating. (According the IIHS). If you were to roll - I'd rather be in the Nissan.

Frame - Tacoma C-Channel (other than front under engine). Frontier is fully boxed - front to back.

Bed - Frontier is metal and Tacoma is plastic

Options - If leather and heated seats and mirrors are of any value to you, they can be had with the Frontier and not the Tacoma.

Power - Frontier 261HP / 281 Torque vs Tacoma 236HP / 266 Torque

Some small things:

Tailgate - Frontier locks and Tacoma doesn't.

Gauges - Oil Pressure and Voltage - Nether on Tacoma

Bed Light on Frontier - not on Tacoma

In fairness, I think there are advantages to the Tacoma, as well. But I think you wanted to know why to by a Frontier over a Tacoma.

Last edited:

jarmentrout

Observer
I like the toyotas but they are priced the way they are not because they are better but because they can get it. I have had an 06 xterra OR since new and would not trade it. Not even for an unlimited. Now Nissan be the first out in the us with a diesel in the pickup and xterra and I'll but another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles