Self inflating mattress for rtt

offthepath

Adventurer
I have a smitty built xl and need a better mattress. Has anyone found a decent self inflating pad that is roughly (92x75in)? I'd like to eliminate the foam pad entirely.

It seems everything is more of a traditional air mattress or the wrong size. Having 2 side by side would work fine as well.

Thanks

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Double check the size of the Exped Megamat Duo which is a double....I am using one in my Snap Treehouse camper and love it

tae73

Observer
I will second the exped megamat duo, its pricey but wow its great to sleep on. Just bought the exped sleeping bag for the duo during the REI sale. The duo will be a little small for the xl, worked well in the regular size smitty rtt.

offthepath

Adventurer
I would go with the Duo, but it seems like its going to be a lot smaller at 77x52. We have a family of four in the tent and cannot give up any width.

shade

I would go with the Duo, but it seems like its going to be a lot smaller at 77x52. We have a family of four in the tent and cannot give up any width.
You may find three mats rotated 90* will be required to get full coverage, and that you'll find the best fit by playing with mat sizes. 2XL + 1Regular; that sort of thing.

shade

Ok thanks. I'm amazed air mattresses don't come in standard sizes for rtt.
RTTs vary enough in size, and the actual market is so small, that it would be difficult to make that happen, even if the RTT manufacturer was involved. Cutting foam is so much easier, and having to air up a mattress also runs counter to the speed of pitching & striking an RTT.

Another aspect that's hurting your selection is that you really do have a need for the mattress to completely cover the tent floor. When I was looking at RTT mattress options, I considered leaving a foot or so of the long dimension without a mattress, since no one slept on it, and it could act as a porch or gear storage area.

I hope you find a solution. Iirc, I found some traditional air mattresses that were sized about like what you'd find in a home. Maybe something like that would work for your main RTT mattress, and you could add a smaller one at the foot end of your sleeping space, so the difference in how it feels wouldn't be as noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles