Seitz Windows 101: Pros, Cons and their Operation

devonojas

I want to offer up a resource that I came across. Although they won't ship to the USA, there is a company in Germany that offers glass replacements for the Seitz plastic window panes. This could be a cool hybrid of the convenience of Seitz, with the scratch resistance of glass. Maybe some ExPo members want to go in on a shipment.

https://www.vanglas.de/

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I want to offer up a resource that I came across. Although they won't ship to the USA, there is a company in Germany that offers glass replacements for the Seitz plastic window panes. This could be a cool hybrid of the convenience of Seitz, with the scratch resistance of glass. Maybe some ExPo members want to go in on a shipment.

https://www.vanglas.de/

Then there is still the minor detail with the ************ fly screen/sun shades LOL
But I agree, a glass upgrade would be cool.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I'm always puzzled about the concern for scratching with acrylic windows. We really have not found it to be an issue. Not one customer has had to replace a glazing due to unresolved scratches. Most people are far more concerned about scratching their paint. 99% of the scratches you might get are easily polished out. The other thing to consider is that if you routinely crash your windows into things that can scratch them, it won't be long before you have a BROKEN glass window. The impact resistance and flexural strength of acrylic is far higher, and you are far less likely to end up miles from home with a gaping hole in your wall. How long would it take to get a replacement glass glazing from Europe?
A severely damaged acrylic window glazing is easily and inexpensively replaced, if you have one of ours. We keep them in stock, and all you need is a screw driver. That is not true of Dometic, because the cost of a glazing from Dometic is as much as a complete window and nobody stocks them. Aside from the remote possibility of getting a scratch, acrylic is SIGNIFICANTLY better in every way for overland use. Here is a link to a good comparison of the two:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1d5cc9_8c4f0c5e52b6424395ba096a8a7749cd.pdf

Because of the poor thermal characteristics of glass, you rarely see large glass windows in overland rigs. Ever notice that? Coupled with a quality screen and blind assembly (Arctic Tern), you have two dead air spaces, which bring the thermal efficiency of the window area close to that of your insulated wall. You can afford a nice size window and have all the ventilation benefits in hot weather. We carry acrylic because we appreciate all the benefits. I personally would not have a glass window in any kind of RV. I would never sell them. I've spent far too much time in rigs like that dealing with the condensation and other issues.

I'm not telling anyone not to get glass if they want it, but an informed decision goes a long way.

Reactions: mog

Badmiker

I have a question for Tern Overland. Do the windows protrude from the surface of the vehicle? They kinda look like they do. Also, is it possible to get a door with no window in it?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Yes they do, I just installed 5 of them in our build. Not sure about the door with no window, but I doubt it. We got one of the euro doors.

Badmiker

Thanks for the quick answer Jonturgeon! I would love to see your build if you put up some pictures of the windows.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
I have a question for Tern Overland. Do the windows protrude from the surface of the vehicle? They kinda look like they do. Also, is it possible to get a door with no window in it?

Hey Badmiker,
If you look on our website there is a library. There are two PDFs there: Window front view dimensions" and "window side view dimensions". The side view dimensions have all the measurements you are asking about! I would have to talk to our manufacturer about a windowless Euro door. It may be possible, but the interior panel is molded ABS which cannot be modified. It would obviously look like the window is missing from the inside. I'm pretty sure our North American door can be had without a window. We also have a new door coming in 2019 that can be ordered without a window. I'm waiting to get our first prototypes before publicly unveiling this new door, but it will be a game changer for anyone who spends time in areas where animal or human security is an issue. The lead times for specialty items can be a few months, so it's a good idea to plan ahead and work with us.

Hope that helps!

David

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I love the door! It's well insulated and 100% dust proof. Can't imagine it without a window.

Attachments

• 20185141325415461702.jpg
    20185141325415461702.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20185141325531718122.jpg
    20185141325531718122.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2018514132632819211.jpg
    2018514132632819211.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 25

Forum statistics

Threads