Seeking troopie pop top advice

lowenbrau

Explorer
Its looking more and more like my next rig will be a HZJ75 Troopie and I'd just love to send it to Innovation Camper in Germany and have them fit it out but since I'm in Western Canada and they are waaaaay the heck over in Europe I'm going to have to get busy and fit it out myself. There are plenty of photos on the net of the roofs from the outside but never inside. I'm wondering if anybody has seen some interior pics or drawings. I'd rather not completely reinvent the wheel.

Here are some pics of the roof style I am considering...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Isn't that troopy about the same size as a CJ8?

Joaquin put an old VW camper pop-top on Mayahaul.

mayahaul.jpg

Just a thought.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
Camper the inside, and rooftop tent it....much more simple...

-H-
That's likely what will happen in the interim but climbing into the RTT in snowy/wet/muddy gear is getting old. It'd be nice to be able to access the bed from a place I could stand up and change.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Lynn said:
Isn't that troopy about the same size as a CJ8?

Joaquin put an old VW camper pop-top on Mayahaul.

mayahaul.jpg

Just a thought.

I have considered that. The canvas is still available aftermarket for the Wastfalias

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
You may want to contact another member on this forum who owns one:

His screen name is 2aroundtheworld, his real name is Christian. Check the member list for contact info.
Although he is in Africa at the moment, I'm sure he would e-mail you a few interior pics.
large.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
Its looking more and more like my next rig will be a HZJ75 Troopie and I'd just love to send it to Innovation Camper in Germany and have them fit it out but since I'm in Western Canada and they are waaaaay the heck over in Europe I'm going to have to get busy and fit it out myself. There are plenty of photos on the net of the roofs from the outside but never inside. I'm wondering if anybody has seen some interior pics or drawings. I'd rather not completely reinvent the wheel.

Here are some pics of the roof style I am considering...
Out of sheer jealousy... I hate you... That is without a doubt one of the coolest 4x4's ever made.

Curious tho, how are you getting one over here in N.America? I know they can be had at quite a price, but I'm curious what route you're taking to get one in the driveway.

lowenbrau said:
That's likely what will happen in the interim but climbing into the RTT in snowy/wet/muddy gear is getting old. It'd be nice to be able to access the bed from a place I could stand up and change.
As far as that sitch goes, out of experience, climbing into a small camper to change/ put it to rest is not alot better. I'd go with a vestibule attachment for the RTT so you could change/leave the gear behind then climb into the RTT. Either way, leaving the wet nasty OUTSIDE the rig is key...

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

hoser

Explorer
4Rescue said:
Curious tho, how are you getting one over here in N.America? I know they can be had at quite a price, but I'm curious what route you're taking to get one in the driveway.
The lucky Canadian's have a 15 year import law. If you want one now, you could move to Canada. Otherwise you'll have to wait a few more years.

lowenbrau

Explorer
4Rescue said:
Out of sheer jealousy... I hate you... That is without a doubt one of the coolest 4x4's ever made.

As far as that sitch goes, out of experience, climbing into a small camper to change/ put it to rest is not alot better. I'd go with a vestibule attachment for the RTT so you could change/leave the gear behind then climb into the RTT. Either way, leaving the wet nasty OUTSIDE the rig is key...

Cheers

Dave

Once somebody discovered the 15 year rule there has been a flood of JDM imports and everybody and their dog have become amateur importers. The process is now well documented and lots of guys have been doing it. Unfortunately 75 pickups and troopies were not commonly available in Japan where vehicles are often in very good condition and with low miles. Where they are plentiful (aus) they are well used. This one belongs to a Kiwi friend of mine who spends some time in Canada and will import it. I was hoping for an HJ75 to make a swap to a 12HT easy but doing a home brew turbo on a 1HZ or waiting to find a 1HDT will have to do.

I spent 30 nights in my RTT this year and did so in rainy, muddy conditions. When you see the pictures of people with RTTs on the beach in Baja and in the Savanna you imagine a different reality than when you are bogged to the axles somewhere and just give up for the night. Setting up the tent on a filthy truck can be a pain too. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing. I just think there might be a better alternative. Additionally, once the Troopie is fitted out with an indoor kitchen, cupboards etc it will be much nicer to have some additional headroom from the pop up. Setting these things up for African travel is a specialty of the Germans and they practically have a standard blueprint. My GF made a lot of friends at the International Cruiser Meeting in Germany (pictures here) a few years ago and I can talk to them for info too but langauge is a difficulty when we get into technical terms.

Sometimes leaving the wet nasty outside is just not possible.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Does the HJ roof bolt on to the side panels, like a 45 troopy, or is it one piece...If it just bolts on, it might be easy enough to custom build canvas rectangular sides, and a lift system....aka...large sportsmobile style, that lifts straight up....

Just thinking...and wishing....

-H-

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sloped roof? Really?

For the effort in construction, why not a full length pop top? Sloped roofs mean a loss of usable square footage. Unless your a wee lad, a full length raised roof will serve you better. The hassles of a sloped roof will be similar to the hassles of using a RTT in the boggy bush of BFE.

I saw the first attached LC recently. I didn't take a picture of the rear but it was open as I drove by. The guy's SO was sitting near the exit on a bench on the left side (I'm assuming this thing was rhd, dunno, it was dark) and there was a counter across from her that she appeared to be doing some dinner prep on.

My first thought was, "That's a lot smaller on the inside than it looks from the outside."

Just for thought and your pic file collection, what about a Troopie with a full length pop up roof? While we're bouncing ideas around, here's more pics for your daydreams.....

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I tried to work a deal on the tan 45....on ebay out of New Mexico, IIRC....nice design, and what I would want on mine...

-H-

kcowyo

ExPo Original
IIRC, he stated that was a factory conversion (some factory, not Toyota) but there were very, very few made...? The design is food for thought.

You did just fine counselor, with what you got. ;)

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
Does the HJ roof bolt on to the side panels, like a 45 troopy, or is it one piece...If it just bolts on, it might be easy enough to custom build canvas rectangular sides, and a lift system....aka...large sportsmobile style, that lifts straight up....

Just thinking...and wishing....

-H-
No, the 75 series is a completely fixed top. All mods would need to be with a sawzall. The 45s were perfect for a pop top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94