Seeking information on import-sized Bigfoot and Northern Lite campers

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I've recently discovered, and somewhat fallen in love with, Bigfoot and Northern Lite campers. I have a new 2016 Tacoma that I had hoped to put a FWC on (and may still), but found that both companies made smaller campers a while back- Bigfoot made a 6'10" and Northern Lite a 6'11". Since my truck is a double cab short bed, not sure if they'll even fit yet, but I love the way they're constructed and they'd make great, DRY, camping here in the PNW in the wet season...nearly all year! No hassles with drying tent fabric or worrying if it's gonna get moldy.

I contacted Bigfoot, but they couldn't provide any specs on their model since it was older, from the 90's. Does anyone here have a spec sheet on either of these models? I'd like to see the dimensions and weight so I can decide if they'd even work on my truck or if I should go back to looking at pop-up's like FWC's and the like.

Thanks!

P.S. I also found another camper brand, Somerset, that makes smaller fiberglass campers like Bigfoot and Northern Lite and would be interested in info on these as well if anyone has any?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I can't help you much as far as finding or giving much info on the campers. I think they use double beds on both of them and that's a no go for me. Too small... I also would not want to have that much weight behind my rear axle with the short bed. My guess is they are 1200 pounds or so empty and thats bordering on the full available payload of your truck. I have a Four Wheel Camper Shell on my 06 Tacoma. I have 2000 pound helper springs and Timbren bump stops. The truck rides like an F350 empty but it handles the camper like its not even there. The 4 cylinder motor isn't super happy though ha ha ha.

For your truck, I would stick to the small pop ups designed for short beds. If you had the 6 foot bed, I'd say find a hardside.

-jorge

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
i hear you about weight consideration. i've read at least once that the Bigfoot is about 1200-1300 wet. but, i have found a ton of old ads from canada and pictures on the internet and they're all mounted on mazda's, ranger's, nissan's, and tacoma's so i figure it is doable. most were regular or extra cab trucks but a couple were double cabs (long bed's though).

i measured my bed and tailgate and i wouldn't have much overhang beyond that (2 inches)...of course this is assuming i can trust the model names- 6,10 and 6,11 to be accurate. i just need to hear from folks who actually own these to verify weight and length. i would probably run airbags as well. my biggest issue with the pop-tops are interior height- i'm 6'3". from my preliminary research, FWC's that would fit my old toyota were not tall enough and doubt the FWC's that will fit the new truck would be tall enough either. the Bigfoot and Northern Lite are tall enough from what i can surmise. the other issue is moisture- pop-tops in the PNW seem risky for mold and mildew.

I can't help you much as far as finding or giving much info on the campers. I think they use double beds on both of them and that's a no go for me. Too small... I also would not want to have that much weight behind my rear axle with the short bed. My guess is they are 1200 pounds or so empty and thats bordering on the full available payload of your truck. I have a Four Wheel Camper Shell on my 06 Tacoma. I have 2000 pound helper springs and Timbren bump stops. The truck rides like an F350 empty but it handles the camper like its not even there. The 4 cylinder motor isn't super happy though ha ha ha.

For your truck, I would stick to the small pop ups designed for short beds. If you had the 6 foot bed, I'd say find a hardside.

-jorge

bugeyetex

Observer
The Tacos have pretty good payload for a 'midsize' truck. Here is a PDF for the 2000 model year of the Bigfoot sales brochure that I found while digging up info on a recent purchase-
http://www.bigfootrv.com/docs/brochures/2000 Brochure.pdf

I hope this helps. Many years ago I terrorized many a road in the PNW in a 94 toyota exteded cab pickup with a camper shell on it. I miss that truck and the adventures it brought me on.

I don't know if you are looking to import or not, there are a loft of composite options from either Europe or Australia. It see all their camper vehicles are mid sized trucks, or commercial class trucks.

http://www.sbsadventurecampers.com/SBS_DC200_demountable_campers.html

demo%20220%20with%20scooter%20rack.jpg

I have talked with the following company a a campers are very reasonably priced.

http://www.wagner-kunststofftechnik.de/k190.html

k19002.jpg

Last edited:

cobwreck

Hey Northern Woodsman,

I've owned a couple Northern Lite 610's and have seen more than a handful in person. They are a great little camper, designed to be light, small and aerodynamic while retaining many comforts for multi day trips. If you can find one it'd be perfect for you new Tacoma. Camper is 39" between the wheel wells with 18" bed rail clearance. 39" overcab clearance needed or build a deck for your truck box.

They come with a variety of features, base models have a 2 burner stove and venthood with exhaust fan, 3 way fridge, small (9-15gal) water tank, electric pump and sink, forced air propane furnace, 12DC converter 120V AC passthru and lotsa 12V lights. Some models came from the factory with premium options like a battery, an oven, hot water, an outdoor shower and a porta potty cupboard. Campers dry weight is 310kg or more depending on year and factory options, so this doesn't include battery, propane tank, water. The cab over bed is 4' x 6' and the interior ceiling is 5'10". I'm 6' tall, and sold my 610 because of that. The interior is not spacious but has tones of storage. The GF, 60lb dog and myself loved the space.

When buying a two piece fiberglass camper look for a soft floor, most I have seen have floor rot, which can be fixed DIY or professionally.

We carried the Northern Lite on a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4, with OME struts and coils up front and OME shocks and an added leaf in the back as the only upgrade and did many 100's of kms on FSR's gnarly trails to camping spots. It carried great, very little sway and plenty of power with the 3.4L and stick shift. Also carried it on a 2003 Tundra AC with air bags.

Any other questions?

See pics below of various NL 610's and my current camper a Travel Lite 690FD.

00g0g_c83vTTAgjeM_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_leTVqS7Kp62_1200x900.jpg

20160418_184503.jpg

20160502_185944.jpg

20160904_145215.jpg

I've recently discovered, and somewhat fallen in love with, Bigfoot and Northern Lite campers. I have a new 2016 Tacoma that I had hoped to put a FWC on (and may still), but found that both companies made smaller campers a while back- Bigfoot made a 6'10" and Northern Lite a 6'11". Since my truck is a double cab short bed, not sure if they'll even fit yet, but I love the way they're constructed and they'd make great, DRY, camping here in the PNW in the wet season...nearly all year! No hassles with drying tent fabric or worrying if it's gonna get moldy.

I contacted Bigfoot, but they couldn't provide any specs on their model since it was older, from the 90's. Does anyone here have a spec sheet on either of these models? I'd like to see the dimensions and weight so I can decide if they'd even work on my truck or if I should go back to looking at pop-up's like FWC's and the like.

Thanks!

P.S. I also found another camper brand, Somerset, that makes smaller fiberglass campers like Bigfoot and Northern Lite and would be interested in info on these as well if anyone has any?

Attachments

• 00M0M_hDm3cjHweKh_1200x900.jpg
    00M0M_hDm3cjHweKh_1200x900.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 173

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
We can build our campers in any length up to a 16' floor. For a shorty (6'-7' floor) the shell insulated with Windows and basic wiring would come in around 600 lbs. Check out our website:
www.Bahncamperworks.com and email or pm me if you have any questions.
-Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
thanks, but unfortunately that brochure didn't have any info on the small, import size campers. i do think the tacoma could handle the small camper though, even with the short bed.

The Tacos have pretty good payload for a 'midsize' truck. Here is a PDF for the 2000 model year of the Bigfoot sales brochure that I found while digging up info on a recent purchase-
http://www.bigfootrv.com/docs/brochures/2000 Brochure.pdf

I hope this helps. Many years ago I terrorized many a road in the PNW in a 94 toyota exteded cab pickup with a camper shell on it. I miss that truck and the adventures it brought me on.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Nitromethane43, thanks for the links, but i think those are going to be way outside of my budget...i.e. low, used prices. they look great though!

I don't know if you are looking to import or not, there are a loft of composite options from either Europe or Australia. It see all their camper vehicles are mid sized trucks, or commercial class trucks.

http://www.sbsadventurecampers.com/SBS_DC200_demountable_campers.html

I have talked with the following company a a campers are very reasonably priced.

http://www.wagner-kunststofftechnik.de/k190.html

cobwreck, ha!, i found your photos on google images and saved them. those NL's look great. i don't think i can go with OME's again. i have OME shocks on my 94 toyota and they ride harsh when the truck is empty. pretty sure i'd go with airbags on the new setup when i get a camper. and i hear you on the interior height, i'm 6'3" and now you have me wondering if i should cross NL's off my list? i've had the same issue when looking at sailboats, interior heights almost all top out at 6' on boats under 40'.

why'd you switch to the Travel Lite? how does it compare to the NL's? is the interior height better? what's your opinion on construction (aluminum siding vs fiberglass? seems the latter is less concern about water intrusion.)

Hey Northern Woodsman,

I've owned a couple Northern Lite 610's and have seen more than a handful in person. They are a great little camper, designed to be light, small and aerodynamic while retaining many comforts for multi day trips. If you can find one it'd be perfect for you new Tacoma. Camper is 39" between the wheel wells with 18" bed rail clearance. 39" overcab clearance needed or build a deck for your truck box.

They come with a variety of features, base models have a 2 burner stove and venthood with exhaust fan, 3 way fridge, small (9-15gal) water tank, electric pump and sink, forced air propane furnace, 12DC converter 120V AC passthru and lotsa 12V lights. Some models came from the factory with premium options like a battery, an oven, hot water, an outdoor shower and a porta potty cupboard. Campers dry weight is 310kg or more depending on year and factory options, so this doesn't include battery, propane tank, water. The cab over bed is 4' x 6' and the interior ceiling is 5'10". I'm 6' tall, and sold my 610 because of that. The interior is not spacious but has tones of storage. The GF, 60lb dog and myself loved the space.

When buying a two piece fiberglass camper look for a soft floor, most I have seen have floor rot, which can be fixed DIY or professionally.

We carried the Northern Lite on a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4, with OME struts and coils up front and OME shocks and an added leaf in the back as the only upgrade and did many 100's of kms on FSR's gnarly trails to camping spots. It carried great, very little sway and plenty of power with the 3.4L and stick shift. Also carried it on a 2003 Tundra AC with air bags.

Any other questions?

See pics below of various NL 610's and my current camper a Travel Lite 690FD.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
hey ryan, i love that your a local PNW company, but unfortunately my price range does not meet yours...i'm gonna be looking at used campers that i can get for a bargain. i do wish you luck though as i love seeing local businesses thrive!

We can build our campers in any length up to a 16' floor. For a shorty (6'-7' floor) the shell insulated with Windows and basic wiring would come in around 600 lbs. Check out our website:
www.Bahncamperworks.com and email or pm me if you have any questions.
-Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TreeGo

Hey. I own a 1994 Bigfoot 6-11 and have it on a 2003 4x4 v6 (3.4 - 5vzfe) Taco, and it has served me very, very well. Interior height is 6'4" in the BF, so different from the Northern Lite. First gen. Tacos can carry 1585lbs., but I don't know what other gens can handle. My BF 6-10 is 490kg/1080lbs dry, but has had the hot water heater removed, so it's around 1000lbs. Last owner of the Taco replaced the shocks and leaf springs, and I installed Timbren SESs (instead of airbags, which are way more expensive), which have worked remarkably well (see pic below). Lots of storage like the NL and is great for solo journeys. A bit cramped for two, but manageable. Fridge, furnace, 3-burner stove, and sink all work well, and the fiberglass clam shell keeps things warm or cool depending on what's going on outside. I also installed a solar panel to charge the battery on the roof, and it has never drained so far. I would recommend one if you can find it, and the price isn't too ridiculous...good luck!

DSC00136.jpg

Last edited:

TreeGo

Hey NorthernWoodsmen!

Ok, so I took the camper off the Taco (2003 - 74"/6'2" bed length) later today and measured the dims:

The camper is wider/width from the tail gate/back of camper to the wheel wells laying flat in the bed. I measured about 50" at the widest point at the top.

The width between the wheel wells up to where the camper butts up against the the cab of the truck is: 39-40" (so 10" narrower than the camper at the back/tail gate width). So this is the actual width inside the bed, between the wheel wells.

As long as you have the tail gate down (or take it off) the camper base is obviously 6'11".

I also measured about 24" from where the camper sits on the tail gate (about half way) to where it tapers in the 5" on each side at the rear end of the wheel wells, and then runs at 39-40" width up to the cab.

Height clearance above the bed is around 2" or more, and I don't think this will be an issue in newer gen. Tacos.

Hope this info. helps. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94