Seeking Advice/thoughts on a '91 FJ80 For Sale

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Hi All,

Read a million articles and threads about 80s but have never owned one. Currently considering this one for sale in Seattle: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1991-fj80-toyota-landcruiser/7095930949.html

Summary:
- '91 with 263k for $5500
- $2600 in (last 3k miles) recent service at Torfab where diff pinion seals were replaced, oil cooler hose replaced, all new belts, o2 sensor, exhaust work, tune-up, new hoses, new front calipers and pads all around. According to the seller, Tor gave it a passing grade after this work was done.
- It's assumed that the FJ80 is running on the original engine and transmission
- Cosmetically rough but OK enough for me
- WA car its whole life so rust not an issue

Here are my questions:

1. I'm a Grad student who's never personally bought a used car (or any car) so I have no idea what I should be asking/looking at. Advice specific to this fact would be great. I did talk to the owner over the phone and he seems nice and honest.

2. Even if I don't sense power issues, should I have a compression test done? Beside transmission slipping, are there any indicators that its on its way out?

3. Beside the usual fj80 things (birfs, headgaskets?, etc), what should I pay particular attention to (other than Slee newbie guide)?

Thanks for your time and advice!

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Hi All,

Read a million articles and threads about 80s but have never owned up. Currently considering this one for sale in Seattle: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1991-fj80-toyota-landcruiser/7095930949.html

Summary:
- $2600 in (last 3k miles) recent service at Torfab where diff pinion seals were replaced, oil cooler hose replaced, all new belts, o2 sensor, exhaust work, tune-up, new hoses, new front calipers and pads all around. According to the seller, Tor gave it a passing great after this work was done.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm a Grad student who's never personally bought a used car (or any car) so I have no idea what I should be asking/looking at. Advice specific to this fact would be great. I did talk to the owner over the phone and he seems nice and honest.

2. Even if I don't sense power issues, should I have a compression test done? Beside transmission slipping, are there any indicators that its on its way out?

3. Beside the usual fj80 things (birfs, headgaskets?, etc), what should I pay particular attention to (other than Slee newbie guide)?

Looks fairly clean, but miles are getting up there. Lots of people (myself included) haven't always appreciated the $$ older rigs may need. While the Toyotas of this era, particularly the LC's, are well designed and reliable....they still require as much, if not more, maintenance than other rigs that are the same price but newer. LC's in general are expensive rigs to maintain and repair.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks fairly clean, but miles are getting up there. Lots of people (myself included) haven't always appreciated the $$ older rigs may need. While the Toyotas of this era, particularly the LC's, are well designed and reliable....they still require as much, if not more, maintenance than other rigs that are the same price but newer. LC's in general are expensive rigs to maintain and repair.
Agreed. I discovered this 1st hand with a 1991 FJ80 with 240,000 miles.

Got rid of it after a few months of non stop head aches and bought a Nissan Xterra supercharged. (That was a poor decision too, lol)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Personally given your vehicle experience I would pass.

You should without question have any Land Cruiser you would be considering inspected by some with strong LC experience like Torfab. It will be money well spent.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Thanks for your reply. Is this mostly because of deferred maintenance?

Agreed. I discovered this 1st hand with a 1991 FJ80 with 240,000 miles.

Got rid of it after a few months of non stop head aches and bought a Nissan Xterra supercharged. (That was a poor decision too, lol)
but supercharger!
Personally given your vehicle experience I would pass.

You should without question have any Land Cruiser you would be considering inspected by some with strong LC experience like Torfab. It will be money well spent.

Would your decision change if Tor gave it a look over?

T-Willy

Hi All,

Read a million articles and threads about 80s but have never owned up. Currently considering this one for sale in Seattle: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1991-fj80-toyota-landcruiser/7095930949.html

Summary:
- $2600 in (last 3k miles) recent service at Torfab where diff pinion seals were replaced, oil cooler hose replaced, all new belts, o2 sensor, exhaust work, tune-up, new hoses, new front calipers and pads all around. According to the seller, Tor gave it a passing great after this work was done.

Here are my questions:

My family are original owners of a '92. It's still a reliable and capable tourer but, like any vehicle its age, requires diligent preventative maintenance. Parts are not cheap nor is labor if you can't do your own work. Ours is a dedicated tourer given its age (to not waste precious miles on daily driving), cost of preventative maintenance and poor fuel economy. I wouldn't recommend one for daily driving.

That truck will require additional baselining. This is a good starting point: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/general-3fe-tune-up-info.270758/ I would add to that, based on my experience, a careful look at starter, alternator, steering gear box, brake booster, water pump, radiator, t-stat, u-joints, and birfs. Any old seals and hoses will (rubber things) eventually need to be replaced too, but it seems like that's largely been covered.

The drivetrain on this truck is bombproof and simple. 3FE tractor motor is torquey and slow but dead reliable--head gasket problems are rare. Our 3FE has run perfectly since it came off the lot. A compression test isn't a bad idea, but it's probably fine. The A440 tranny is bomber. This truck was designed at a time when 65 MPH speed limits were just coming to be in the U.S. It was slow then, and by standards of modern power and speed limits, it's very slow now. Highway driving requires patience--she can go faster, but ours loves to cruise at around 65. It's perfectly suited to dirt roads--capable and comfortable with plenty of low-end power. If you'll be touring, you'll want to factor in an auxiliary fuel tank for added range among possible future costs.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
No clue. I think expectation vs reality played a big part for me. It just sucked to drive as well as having mechanical / electrical issues. (under powered, noisy etc)

If I were to look at a Land Cruiser again, it would probably be a 100 / 200 series.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
My family are original owners of a '92. It's still a reliable and capable tourer but, like any vehicle its age, requires diligent preventative maintenance. Parts are not cheap nor is labor if you can't do your own work. Ours is a dedicated tourer given its age (to not waste precious miles on daily driving), cost of preventative maintenance and poor fuel economy. I wouldn't recommend one for daily driving.

That truck will require additional baselining. This is a good starting point: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/general-3fe-tune-up-info.270758/ I would add to that, based on my experience, a careful look at starter, alternator, steering gear box, brake booster, water pump, radiator, t-stat, u-joints, and birfs. Any old seals and hoses will (rubber things) eventually need to be replaced too, but it seems like that's largely been covered.

The drivetrain on this truck is bombproof and simple. 3FE tractor motor is torquey and slow but dead reliable--head gasket problems are rare. Our 3FE has run perfectly since it came off the lot. A compression test isn't a bad idea, but it's probably fine. The A440 tranny is bomber. This truck was designed at a time when 65 MPH speed limits were just coming to be in the U.S. It was slow then, and by standards of modern power and speed limits, it's very slow now. Highway driving requires patience--she can go faster, but ours loves to cruise at around 65. It's perfectly suited to dirt roads--capable and comfortable with plenty of low-end power. If you'll be touring, you'll want to factor in an auxiliary fuel tank for added range among possible future costs.

Thanks for all your comments, truly. The cruiser would not be a daily driver (I walk/bike), but likely a trailhead/summer road trip vehicle. My concerns aren't so much with the additional and costly baselining, but the catastrophic engine/transmission failure happening before, say, 300,000. Though I'm sure you or others could say that just the baselining could exceed the value of the vehicle... Does the price seem fair to you? Also the PDF doesn't seem to be working on that ih8mud thread..

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

Not for someone with no to little vehicle experience. When you buy any 30 year old vehicle be prepared for on going maintenance/repair. With shop rates at $100+/hr repairs or just whats wong with my truck it adds up fast. For me the 1FZ barely makes it on power and knowing the difference first hand personally I would not consider a 3FE.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
No clue. I think expectation vs reality played a big part for me. It just sucked to drive as well as having mechanical / electrical issues. (under powered, noisy etc)

If I were to look at a Land Cruiser again, it would probably be a 100 / 200 series.

I agree the 100/lx470 series is a great vehicle choice and currently one of the best value in LC. Again have it inspected

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Not for someone with no to little vehicle experience. When you buy any 30 year old vehicle be prepared for on going maintenance/repair. With shop rates at $100+/hr repairs or just whats wong with my truck it adds up fast. For me the 1FZ barely makes it on power and knowing the difference first hand personally I would not consider a 3FE.

Perhaps I should pony up for a lower-mileage 100 series.

nickw

Adventurer

Deferred maint and also the fact the cruisers are built well with heavy duty parts, none of which are cheap to replace. Lots of cruiser shops in SEA, sounds like the guy that owns it knows that which is why he took it to TorFab. You could always suggest it be dropped off there for a full inspection.

Some will disagree, but the older cruisers like this really appreciate the care and accumen a specialty cruiser shop can offer vs Toyota dealership. Many dealerships won't do anything beyond basic service on these rigs, the are 30 years old. Parts are not common and many are not available....this is where the specialty shops can help, they have more robust supply chain knowledge and how to fix stuff....

T-Willy

Thanks for all your comments, truly. The cruiser would not be a daily driver (I walk/bike), but likely a trailhead/summer road trip vehicle. My concerns aren't so much with the additional and costly baselining, but the catastrophic engine/transmission failure happening before, say, 300,000. Though I'm sure you or others could say that just the baselining could exceed the value of the vehicle... Does the price seem fair to you? Also the PDF doesn't seem to be working on that ih8mud thread..

No problem. You'll have to reach out directly to Jonheld for the .pdf. Among vehicles its age, the 3FE 80 Land Cruiser is among the least prone that I know of to catastrophic engine and transmission failure given reasonable (or even unreasonable, neglectful) maintenance. The price seems ballpark to me. But I would underscore Phil's cautions on slowness with the 3FE. It's from another era, and you should be aware of that eyes wide open going into it.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Perhaps I should pony up for a lower-mileage 100 series.

When it comes to the 100 series mileage is not a concern IMO. You would better served for your current needs to find a 100 series with 200K and a solid maintenance history. Im very comfortable/familiar with Land Cruisers and use dealership inspection frequently as a negotiating tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles