Seeking Advice, Powertrax No-Slip in an Econoline Bus.

brp

Observer
I am reviewing options for a traction enhancing differential in my 2004 E350 mini school bus with a 4.10 full floater and a 5.4.

The bus will be driven my multiple people, not just me. I want whatever option I choose to offer a seamless user experience. This puts me at a factory LSD, a Powertrax No Slip, or a Truetrac. Selectables have me worried someone might activate it then go drive 50mph on pavement.

The Powertrax seems like a nice option and it is also the most affordable. (The Truetrac requires professional install, new axle shafts, and is about twice the price of the Powertrax...which I can install and does not need new shafts.)

My real question I guess is regarding road manners. I read/view about how making fast/sharp/aggressive driving maneuvers can cause some level of binding/popping/steering influence. I am wondering if, in a large and underpowered bus, where nothing happens quickly, if the side effects of a drop-in locker would be quite minimal?

The Powertrax is supposed to offer a pretty "polite" street experince. The bus will be operated in snow/ice.

Any thoughts, advice, answers would be great.

Thanks everyone.

iggi

Ian
Having driven a much shorter and lighter rig (mid 80's Landcruiser) with the Powertrax Lockright, (mixed up my locker names) I found the reports on binding to be mostly over reported. It did require some adjustment of driving style, at least in winter conditions for tight turns. I had no issues on highway driving. It does make some noise though. I'd be pretty confident with an autolocker, especially in a longer wheelbase rig with an automatic transmission. That being said, if inexperienced drivers are getting behind the wheel then maybe the LSD would be a better choice. I have the factory locker in my ambo which is fine for slippery conditions but I did manage to burn the clutches when I got really stuck on a muddy track. Hope that helps.

IMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
The mechanical automatic lockers (Detroit locker, any of the lunchbox lockers) have some interesting driving characteristics. Not all of them are good for someone who is not experienced with them. On and off the throttle in a turn will put a wiggle in the driving experience. On throttle the engine drives the slower inside tire. Lift off the throttle ant that abruptly transitions into the faster outside wheel driving the engine.

Too much throttle in slick conditions and it will act as a spool. The back end will come around really fast and with little warning and almost no control. At which point you might as well have a selectable in there and have it wired to always be on.

Ford quit offering limited slip in the Econoline (at one point even doing a recall to remove the ones they sold) for stability issues. Worried about someone hitting the locker switch by accident? Put a keyed "arming" switch inline. You keep the ability for any idiot to be able to drive it somewhat safely, but get a real locker when needed.

sackettmw

A lunchbox locker in a long, heavy rig is barely noticeable. That being said I wouldn't spend extra for the Powertrax over the other auto lockers. I have one in my Astro and while it is the quietest auto locker I've had, it is also the least predictable. I also currently have vehicles with Lock RIght and Aussie lockers and I like the Lock RIght the best. My Aussie is in a front diff so I'm not sure I can directly compare it but I have installed a quite a few of them and they seem ok, maybe a little harsher than the Lock Right.

The factory clutch diffs work good but don't last too long in hard use. I am a big fan of the trutrac and torsen diffs and if you are worried about having the locker and not worried about spending money or time for install its a great option.

Edit... Just realized you said snow and ice. I personally have no problem with a luchbox locker on snow and ice but might be nervous about other drivers. In that case I would spend the money on the torsen (True Trac). No extra care required.

Last edited:

Choff

Adventurer
2005 GMC AWD with stock locking rear end, Driving van over 150,000 miles in all kinds of the worst wisconsin weather can dish out !
Go for it !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles