Seeking a front Sway Bar for Chevy Kodiak 5500, 4x4.

4x4 seneca

Anyone have any Ideas where I could buy a new or used front Sway Bar kit for my Kodiak chassis motorhome?

Chevy didn't install or even offer an optional front sway bar for the (2003-2010 era) 4x4 Kodiak or GMC Top Kick, 4500/5500 series models.
But I've found serveral pics of front sway bars installed on 4x4 4500/5500 Chevy Kodiak Ambulance conversions here on the forum...

I've already contacted Roadmaster and Hellwig, they both sell complete front sway bar retro-fit kits for the 2wd Chevy Kodiaks;
but they wont fit on the 4x4 Kodiaks due to interference with the front Differential.

So there must have been some other aftermarket suspension/Sway bar manufacture that sold them to companies that built 4x4 Ambulances
and Brush Fire trucks designed for off road use... Anyone know what company that might have been?

I found the first pic here on this site, It clearly shows a Kodiak 4x4 Ambulance with a front Sway Bar:
Please let me know if you've found any wrecked 4x4 Kodiak Ambulances/Fire Trucks that might have a front Sway Bar for sale at your local Salvage Yards.

2nd, 3rd & 4th pics are of my 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss, 4x4 motorhome that needs a front Sway Bar due to body roll issues.

Thanks!

Attachments

• kodiak swaybar2.jpg
    kodiak swaybar2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • mongo (4).png
    mongo (4).png
    907.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211027_110442.jpg
    20211027_110442.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20201115_133131.jpg
    20201115_133131.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Korey H

Also how do you like your Sumos and steering stabilizer? I’m putting on Deaver springs next month and considering adding both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4 seneca

Also how do you like your Sumos and steering stabilizer? I’m putting on Deaver springs next month and considering adding both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Sumo Springs stiffened the feel of the front springs a little and helped control sway a just bit. My Koni Shocks definitely Improved handling. My Safe T Plus eliminated most all of my wandering issues and really helped the side-wind and being passed by a semi type issues. I actually bought all of those componets from Henderson's Line-Up, I called and asked them about a front swaybar; but they didn't know of any that would fit around the front differential of the 4x4 Kodiak chassis.

4x4 seneca

Well I struck out on all the above suggestions, but ended up installing a Roadmaster 1259-105 Sway Bar kit made for 2WD Workhorse (W22/W24) Class-A motorhome chassis. The width and diameter of the swaybar was a good match for the front of my 2006 4x4 Kodiak chassis. I was able to bolt this swaybar on with no mods to the vehicle. I just had to mod the mounting brackets that came with this Sway Bar kit. This Sway Bar has really helped reduce my sway issues and should be a good choice for any 4x4 (2003-2009) Chevy Kodiak or GMC Top Kick Ambulance conversions in need of reducing sway Issues.

Attachments

• 20211214_124913 - Small Copy.jpg
    20211214_124913 - Small Copy.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17

sae8425

4x4 seneca

The square tube that interconnects your front (and rear?) leaf springs is referred to by Workhorse as a:

Leaf Spring Suspension Stabilizer Beam

The functioning of this unit is described in this Workhorse publication:

http://www.deserttruckservice.com/pdf folder/workhorse_chassis.guide.pdf

in part, thusly:

The stabilizer is attached to the front of each leaf springs running laterally between the springs providing stabilization through the torsional resistance of the rectangular tube.

There were 2 sizes of these beams (year and model dependent):

2 in x 2 in

2.5 in x 2.5 in

You beam appears to be the smaller 2 in x 2 in unit.

Clearly as you felt your Kodiak needed additional roll resistance, the effectiveness of the OEM Stabilizer Beam seems to be lacking.

Any way to convey exactly how badly your 2006 Kodiak 5500 4x4 handled/rolled/swayed pre the Roadmaster upgrade?

There is a business in Akron, OH that is in the process of parting out and selling components from upwards of 50 Chevy/GMC Topkicks (all are the larger 6500/7500/8500 units).

I've looked under a few 4500/5500 Kodiaks and I'd wager that the swaybars, etc. from the larger Kodiaks would interchange.

I was there in October 2021 looking at a complete 8500 gas engine unit, but I decided to buy an International 4300 instead.

I've got this firm's contact details somewhere; when I find them, I will make a follow up post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles