Sedole's Gen 1 SWB

z168

Question on tires - I like you went with 31x10.5x15. Did you have to spacer or modify anything to avoid rubbing? (or are you having tire rubbing issues right now?)

sedole

Question on tires - I like you went with 31x10.5x15. Did you have to spacer or modify anything to avoid rubbing? (or are you having tire rubbing issues right now?)

No mods for the 31s! They'll fit up and clear just fine with everything stock.

Thecreed123

That Xj bumper looks incredible and fits the style of the Montero so well. I’m up in Loveland fixing up the front end of my lwb monty. 7 years ago my mom bought it from an old guy in Washington who ran into a pole. I was thinking about getting the ADD bumper but yours looks so much better.

sedole

That Xj bumper looks incredible and fits the style of the Montero so well. I’m up in Loveland fixing up the front end of my lwb monty. 7 years ago my mom bought it from an old guy in Washington who ran into a pole. I was thinking about getting the ADD bumper but yours looks so much better.

Thanks! While I would love the convenience of a bolt-on affair, I'm not really in love with the looks of the ADD either.
And honestly the jeep bumpers are so cheap that even if you had to pay a fab shop to do the mounting for you it's not that crazy expensive.

sedole

Picked up a front skid plate off of marketplace a little bit ago and got around to cutting and test fitting it up today. I was thinking about just fabricating my own from scratch, but I do like the style of the stamped steel stock ones so I went with it.

52313857320_2c6f522499_o.jpg

Also scored a pair of brand new-open box rear bilstein shocks for $80. Since it was too good a deal to pass up I of course had to find some front ones to match. Hopefully I'll be able to get these on this weekend. Very much looking forward to ditching the garbage KYB gas adjust shocks currently living on the truck.

52313857305_2bf65d0d7f_o.jpg

sedole

Initial impressions:

So much better than the KYB Gas adjusts. The KYBs made the truck feel like a go-kart, in a bad way. Harsh on every type of road surface and just made the truck plain uncomfortable to drive around. These are a significant improvement. However, I do feel that the Bilsteins are valved a little too stiff for the weight of the SWB. When I had them on my LWB (500-600lbs heavier truck), they felt just right--especially if I had a few extra pounds of passengers or gear inside. In this application I'd give it like a 75%. It's passing but far from perfect. For the price I got them for I'm still happy, but I do wish they were a little softer.

sedole

Washed her up and took some glam shots today. I'm on the fence, but leaning towards selling her. In the last year I've probably barely driven her 1,000 miles. It's fun to drive around town and off road, but it's a bit small for longer drives with the two of us and our two large german shepherds. Also, just not the most enjoyable to drive far to get off road (at least for my back). Most the trails around here are 1-2 hours drive away just to the trailhead. I was spoiled back when I lived in SoCal with trails just 15 minutes from my house. Listed on FB marketplace currently.

My tentative plan is to sell this and my 5th gen 4runner and move into a LC 200 or LX 570.

52365271321_444d3d6358_o.jpg

sedole

Well ladies and gents, she's gone. Feels like the end of an era. New owners took her home on Friday. Sad moment--crazy how a chunk of metal can invoke such strong emotions, but she's off to a good home and will be well taken care of. This will be last time I'm in a Montero for the foreseeable future. After being in three different Monteros over the last several years it's very bittersweet, but the bottom line is they just don't fit my needs at this current time and I don't have enough money or space to justify so many vehicles. Maybe someday I'll be back if I get to a point where I've got more space and more $$$ to blow.

So long for now!

52384656531_b3bc579b22_o.jpg

Last edited:

irish44j

Man, how did I miss this thread. The bumper came out great, really a nice-looking rig. Side note: are those 1.25" or 1.5" spacers?

Also chuckled that you have the same muffler that I also installed on my Raider. Sad to see you sold the rig, was looking forward to more stuff I could copy :)

sedole

Man, how did I miss this thread. The bumper came out great, really a nice-looking rig. Side note: are those 1.25" or 1.5" spacers?

Also chuckled that you have the same muffler that I also installed on my Raider. Sad to see you sold the rig, was looking forward to more stuff I could copy :)

Thanks! I was actually the one finding things to copy from your thread haha. I was pretty pleased with that bumper. Aside from having to cut off the light tabs from the bumper (which you can order it without) and adapting the frame horns, it almost felt like it was meant for it

The spacers were actually only 1". I think that's just about right for the poms and 31s. Rear is just about flush with the body, maybe .25" past the fenders and the front is about .5" outside the fender. I got them from KSP performance on amazon. Meant for toyotas but work well for the montero as well. Ran em on my first gen 1 that saw plenty hard wheeling and never had any issues. I've had them on my 4runner as well for about 30,000 miles so far with some decent wheeling action and no issues either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles