Security and Safe Travels

majorm

First off I'll say I dont own one of these what ill call full size expedition vehicles but would love to some day. I have always thought these would be a dream to run and travel in and while inside the USA (where I live) im not particularly concerned about being hijacked but in Central or South America Im less confident. Even within the us leaving the vehicle for an extended amount of time make me a little uneasy as we would probably have our cats as well. Can any of you comment either here or via PM how you prepare for traveling in more dangerous or unfamiliar areas and securing the vehicle when you have to leave it when you want to hike etc? I can see while this tier of vehicle would be great for living and traveling it could make you more of a target than say a 4runner with a roof top tent or even a pickup based vehicle. Since I have zero experience in this im just curious how real this threat is.

Thanks.

180out

Most of the large overland manufacturer are building very good security measure into them. Triple bolt doors, high windows, and extra looking mechanisms on the truck doors

C p weinberger

Hijacking and general theft are Two different animals.
If someone/s stops you on the road with a loaded weapon you gladly hand them the keys and watch them drive away glad they didn’t harm you. Personal belongings mean zero compared to possible injury. Hero ?‍♂️ stuff or fighting back is bullcrap. You always have more to lose than they do
General theft, If someone wants in, and they have time they will always get in.
Try to make your vehicle harder to break into then the car next to you, try not to advertise Openly items local people may want to steal. Be smart where you park
Don’t take more crap with you than you really need or can’t afford to lose
Safety overseas IMHO is blown way out of proportion. There are obviously places you should not go but In general travel overseas To the average, typical location is safe.
To be perfectly honest, I am more afraid of traveling throughout United States then I am when I travel abroad.
Number 1 rule, Do not travel at night
Rule 2 You are more likely to get injured in a automotive accident then a theft situation. Be smart how you drive. See rule 1

sg1

Adventurer
I have been traveling on and of in 3rd world countries since the early 80s. Since 2010 we traveled about 4-5 months per year in Africa and Latin America with our RV. In all those years my Camper was broken in twice: Once on the supposedly guarded parking lot of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao Spain and once in front of a Museum in Latvia. Both times not much was stolen because all our valuable stuff was hidden in secret compartments. Thieves usually are in a hurry and didn´t find those compartments.Neither in Africa nor in Latin America anything was stolen. Theft is very rare and we had very few stories from travelers we met who had problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles