Securing Portable Toilet in Shower Pan?

Trailwerx

We just finished the last major job on our van conversion: a custom fiberglass shower pan that fits over the wheel arch. We have a Thetford Curve porta potty and want it to be securely mounted in the shower pan yet be easily removable in order to take a shower. The shower pan is too small to accomodate both the toilet and a person taking a shower at the same time. Yes, I know one can take a shower while seated on the toilet but that sounds less than ideal. We have the optional plastic Thetford quick-release screw-down base but it seems way too flimsy to secure a toilet that easily weighs over 75 pounds when both tanks are full or near-full in the event of a strong jolt or vehicle accident. This would not be a pleasant missile to be flying around inside the van. Also, for obvious reasons, we don't want to drill holes in our new shower pan. I am leaning toward contriving some sort of side-mounted T-track slide but am worried about water getting into the side walls or subfloor. I see all kinds of Youtube videos with toilets sitting in showers but they are suspiciously vague on how they are attached. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to this? Thanks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I agree that the Thetford mount is not up to a motor vehicle accident - I believe the mount is a "marine" option meant to only keep the potty from shifting at sea.

The other option for securing it might be to strap it via the handles or find/make a small (non-elastic) cargo net to lash it down when underway. With this option, at least you could mount D-rings above the shower pan, rather than through it.

In early versions of my old van build, I kept a Thetford 135 between the front seats. I built a little riser platform that doubled as a "hat" that let me more-easily strap-down the toilet. While underway, the platform went on top of the toilet and had D-rings that I could pass straps through to cinch it down. It then doubled as a sort of center-console. (Not that you'd want this in the shower, just that it shows how you can mechanically wrangle a heavy cube full of liquid even if it doesn't have handles, etc.)

AM-JKLVI0aPPTsFvzpV2vi5BwnOocF5svojX8E-h8bJ8c13xEqTCF3C6n2zJLj9lR3Z6z5vk58ioM992ajJvele87DfbOiwCgAUOKWfUPaMZrH-sJ5aN0WdAXVpvbVn7OjiZEQDWTf55_tRxdhgUtm1Ty5k2_g=w600

Scotty D

Every toilet has its weaknesses but remember those produce the dreaded blue sewage. If you are on an extended trip offroad and need to dump it , its pretty grim for the environment. A composting toilet can go much longer between emptying and I am firmly of the belief that peeing outdoors is what we should all be doing with our urine.

Trailwerx

Every toilet has its weaknesses but remember those produce the dreaded blue sewage. If you are on an extended trip offroad and need to dump it , its pretty grim for the environment. A composting toilet can go much longer between emptying and I am firmly of the belief that peeing outdoors is what we should all be doing with our urine.

Thanks, that was really helpful. That's why I plan to dump it only in any convenient Forest Service-approved fire ring where the layers of charcoal will filter out the dreaded blue chemicals (and excessive quantities of urine), leaving only an organic layer that will soon dry into humanoid chips which will add warmth, ambience, and cheer to the next campers' evening fire.

Last edited:

Scotty D

Just pointing out that not all human waste is equal and once you mix urine and feces it becomes sewage.
Adding the blue dye just makes things worse.
There are better ways to do this

Trailwerx

Here is what I came up with. I used T track (of the sort used by woodworkers for building miter guides, etc.) mounted to each side of the shower. A recycled teak wood toilet mount slides in and out on the T track. In the out position it allows taking a shower, then slides back in and locks in place for other duties. A ratchet strap adds some crash protection when travelling.

Attachments

• Head empty small.JPG
    Head empty small.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Head with tray small.JPG
    Head with tray small.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Head tray with toilet small.JPG
    Head tray with toilet small.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Head tray in position secured small.JPG
    Head tray in position secured small.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Head portrait small.JPG
    Head portrait small.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 23

Trailwerx

Even though the shower/head compartment is quite small (24" x 30") it seems a lot bigger when we open the rear doors. There is also a sink located right across the aisle. Next job: install shower curtains.

Last edited:

llamalander

Well, not sure why you asked us, that looks like it does exactly what you need!
It may be what other folks need too--nicely done.

Trailwerx

Well, not sure why you asked us, that looks like it does exactly what you need!
It may be what other folks need too--nicely done.
Thanks! One of these days I hope to copy someone else's idea without having to come up with it myself first. I dub it.... The Head Sled.

Trailwerx

We use the non-formaldehyde chemicals in our porta potti. Can be dumped in any toilet… even home septic tank system, vault toilets, etc.

-Mike

I use the organic biopacks and use a separate pee bottle too. I just didn't want to spoil anyone's assumptions. We looked at (and researched) the "composting" toilets available. Not only are they really expensive, they don't even compost, so you're just carrying around a load of crap like everyone else. But to each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke