Secure Storage for High Value Items In Expeditionary Travel - Maxing Out

maxingout

Adventurer
I sailed around the world on my sailboat on an eleven year voyage, and I never had anything stolen off the yacht, and I never had anythings stolen during land trips. Expeditionary land travel is different because there are realtively few places to hide/secure high value items in a vehicle. A boat has a thousand nooks and crannies, and it is difficult for hit and run thieves to make off with your expensive gear, plus they have to get stolen stuff from your boat to the shore.

On a vehicle, you can't stop a dedicated and highly motivated thief with a drill and an angle grinder. If they have the time, and if your car is parked in a lonely place unattended, they can strip your vehicle quickly. With all the battery powered tools these days, they don't even need an extension chord for them to do the dastardly deed.

You can't stop a thief, but you can slow him down and make it really hard to steal your stuff.

Fortunately, most larcenous individuals are opportunists, and if you make it difficult for a thief, he will probably move on to an easier target.

We shoot lots of photos, and we need relatively secure storage for our cameras. Then we can walk away from our cameras in a parking lot, and most likely they will still be there when we return.

The hardest thing about secure storage is getting it to fit inside your vehicle. You want something that is heavy enough to be tough, but not so heavy that it weighs down the vehicle. It needs to fit somewhere in the vehicle, and it needs to be accessible so that you actually use it. It is nice if you can put an unobtrusive cover over the storage so that nobody knows that it is present.

For my Land Rover, I chose a Tuffy Security console that is 12 1/2 inches wide, 24 inches long, and eighteen and 1/2 inches tall. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-88-016-series-ii-security-console-12-12-wide.aspx

This particular console has only one compartment rather than two. I wanted only one compartment to have more flexibility because of the larger interior volume. Some of the other Tuffy Consoles are split into two compartments.

My Land Rover has 60/40 rear seats, and I decided to remove the 40% rear seat. That achieved two purposes. It created a space for my ARB refrigerator freezer, and at the same time created a place where I could place my Tuffy secure storage.

Tuffy 1.JPG

The console is bolted through the floor, and there is also a bolt to the vertical plywood bulkhead under the fridge. The console is an exact fit without a millimeter to spare. I had to precisely place the console so that the 60% rear seat would still fold forward, and I could also close the door. It was a perfect fit.

Tuffy 2.JPG

View of the security console on the floor in front of where the 40% seat was formerly located.

Tuffy 3.JPG

Closer view of the Tuffy security console where I will place photographic gear.

Tuffy 4.JPG

Tuffy Security console with the lid open.

This console will be hidden from view by a cover so that it is not immediately obvious. It also serves as a flat surface on which I can set items that I am putting in and out of the ARB refrigerator freezer.

The Tuffy Consule is not bullet proof, but it is a step in the right direction. Although it isn't 100% safe, it is probably 98% secure. And that's about as good as it gets when you are doing expeditionary travel.

jdzl

Great writeup!

What gets me is the cheapo locking mechanisms they put on boxes like this. Why not weld a strong ring into the box, make a slot for it in the lid and presto - use your own padlock.

maxingout

Adventurer
Great writeup!

What gets me is the cheapo locking mechanisms they put on boxes like this. Why not weld a strong ring into the box, make a slot for it in the lid and presto - use your own padlock.

You make a good point. I considered the tuffy box as a deterrent to the opportunist rather than to the dedicated thief. Witn battery powered angle grinders, you can get into just about anything if you are brazen enough.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
When I designed my workshop door, I fitted heat and vibration sensors in the 2" box section steel surrounding the built in mortice locks and hinges, and filled the cavity with kapok, as I had been advised that kapok clogs up grinder wheels.

Had anyone attempted to drill/grind through my locks or hinges, the extremely loud alarm would sound.

In truth, vehicle anti theft systems are so comprehensive that thieves simply target the driver for the keys to enable them to access the vehicle's contents, and/or steal the vehicle.

That's certainly been the case here.

maxingout

Adventurer
You are right about thieves taking the keys and robbing you. On the other hand, I lived and travelled outside the USA for 28 years, and I have never had a problem with something like that happening. Most security measures are simple deterrents that prevent the lazy and occasional thief form making an easy score. A dedicated thief will get your stuff if they really want it. There is no such thing as real security. But deterrence is cost effective and works most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior