Second temperature gauge in a TD5 cooling flange

Arlo

Adventurer
A friend asked me several years ago to fit another point to the waterflange outcomming off the cylinder head to get a real signal.

After a while others asked about it too.

They are all running Td5 engines! :wings:

So I manufactured 16 items all in the same shape.

20384867na.jpg

20384870rw.jpg

20384871tl.jpg

20384872xa.jpg

20384874ym.jpg

20384875qp.jpg

20384876ao.jpg

Original thread is M12x1,5
Additional thread is M14x1,5

It's a nice gift for what ever you want!
But there are only a few left over!

madtom

Why they just don't use the original temperature sensor and with an add-on indicator? From TD5 ECU there is a 5V supply over an internal resistance, sou you need only a simple unit to measure the voltage across the original temperature sensor and convert it to some sort of display. Same way you can use all sensors, witch are in TD5 engine. And add only the "missing", like diesel pressure, oil pressure or second battery voltage.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well I for one prefer a backup unit that isn't relying on the same gauge sensor, possibly even a mechanical capillary tube style...that way if the original sensor gives a false reading your secondary sensor is still accurate.. Same with putting an oil pressure gauge in instead of just an idiot light..it's about have a failsafe redundant backup secondary system...

madtom

Temperature and oil pressure is a bit different. Temperature cannot rise too fast, like from 90 to 120°C in 1s, but engine oil pressure can drop this fast. And the engine oil sensor is only on/off. I have a plan to add some real pressure measuring sensor. And design a custom display unit, for measuring more parameters with some settable limit for audible warning. Because I cannot continuously look on the gauges and drive the car together. In rally race trucks, there is the third guy on board, for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne