Second gen Tacoma tire size

ekapel

My original Grandtreks (245/75 16) are about ready to be replaced on my 4 cyl 2015 Tacoma 4WD. I am considering Open Country A/T2 in 235/85 16,
which should be .5 in narrower, 1.2 in taller, and 12lb/tire heavier. I will be keeping my steel wheels. Has anyone done that and if so what are
your conclusions? I looked into 255/85s but they are only available in mud terrains which I do not want.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run 235/85R16 KO2 on stock steel spare rims. The size is alright, doesn't rub anywhere and didn't requirement any trimming or spacers to fit. They're a bit narrow on stock rims and sit a little far inside the fender flares visually, but it's not terribly obvious. They do look disproportionately narrow from front or back since the track width on our trucks is relatively wide.

They are very narrow tires and your rims are pretty exposed, so they take a bit of a beating. I first had them on alloy wheels and those got abused fairly badly. Steel wheels are thinner and don't seem as prone to scrapes and naturally don't get chunks broken off.

Being so narrow they do tend to be a little less stable on pavement. When I turn hard I can feel them getting a bit loose sideways.

All-in-all no complaints but my next tire will be 265/75R16 or 255/85R16.

ekapel

Thanks daveindenver, 265/75 16s are my second choice as they are the same diameter. I like the narrower look of the 235s, but
since 99 percent of my driving is on pavement. 265/75s are probably more practical.

DaveInDenver

I don't think 265/75R16 is really all that wide even compared to my super skinny tires. But I get your drift.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I run 265/75/16 and they seem narrow to me. I originally wanted to run 285s but the 4.0 is pretty anemic plus I don't want to regear. I'm considering 275/70/17 if I can buy a set of Toyota 17" rims for the right price. I've seen a few sets with 15mm offsets that would work.

DaveInDenver

LOL, one man's anemic is another's purposive. It's not a LS2 of course but it holds it own for my use. I'm running stock 3.73 and a RA60 manual with my 235/85R16. The crawl ratio is what's anemic, what too high geared for off road in 1st-low. I really like the 1GR-FE as an all around truck engine personally.

nickw

Adventurer
Something else to consider is 235/85's are generally only available in load range E, while the 265/75's can be had in load range C. I think E's are way overkill for something like a Tacoma, but they do offer more protection. I used to run 265/75's, In my opinion, it's the best compromise of easily availability, ride comfort and offroad capability.

Anything more tire than a 235 or 265 (31.5") is probably going to require a re-gear since you only have a 4cyl.

DaveInDenver

The load range E thing is also usually true of 255/85R16. I'm a fan of using heavy duty tires so it's not something that bothers me and I'd probably use D or E even in 265/75R16 personally, but I know it's a preference for each owner.

ekapel

I notice there is also an increase in wt from 44lb (265/75) in load range C to 50lb in E, which will possibly be noticed with my auto 4 cyl already challenged
by the increase in diameter from OE. After considering all your opinions, and my usage, I will go with Toyo AT2 LT265/75 16 in C. Thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles