Second Gen Montero Sway bar quick disconnects

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Thanks, i try. Recycling is cool, my Truggy was built entirely from recycled Montero's and things laying around. I think it had parts from some 25 vehicles.

The shocks on that were huge! Look at the shock eyelets below the tool box, with the body chop and the v6 swapped out for a 2.4 4cyl the truck had almost no body roll on road but still flexed out nicely offroad. No sway bars needed.

DSCF8052.jpg

Recycled Jeep rollbars on both of these trucks, Clay even ran a jeep soft top (not pictured).
25296210150268405680569.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
The blue one in the pic has no shocks which is what gives it the extra articulation,they are the main restricting factor.

I took my rear anti roll bar off in january,took a few days to get used to the slight difference in cornering,and now it doesn't seem any different to me. You won't get more articulation by taking the bar off,but it will articulate more easily. What gave me the extra articulation was the shocks,they made a big difference,and they still don't articulate fully due to the angle of the mounting at the bottom not allowing the shock to go to a big enough angle with the axle

Toasty

Those pictures are from when i was measuring for shocks, max downtravel and max up travel. That's how i knew what shock to get and how to make the shock towers, you can see them in my build thread.

The way our trailing arms work it they actually create a torsional force against the axle housing during articulation, this is why the early 9" axles would break housings. I know some other tricks to maximize suspension travel but we'll leave that for a different thread.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We need to get Expo users to check 4x4wire so that these questions are answered once.

I have spend dozens of hours of fruitless searching on 4x4wire. I have found tons of fascinating info, but I can never find the answer to the question I was looking for. It's a very difficult site to use if you didn't grow up on it

Toasty

I have spend dozens of hours of fruitless searching on 4x4wire. I have found tons of fascinating info, but I can never find the answer to the question I was looking for. It's a very difficult site to use if you didn't grow up on it

It's a good thing i wasn't drinking anything when i read that, i would have ruined my wifes Mac. Hilarious and true. The trick is to use the google search bar at the top of the page, the integrated search function is garbage.

right? I hate 4x4wire.

d*rock

A smaller diameter sway bar could be used too to allow more movement for off-road but still allow for better on-road handling, correct. I'm not sure of the exact sizes but from what I understand different size sway bars came on the different sub-models and years. Can someone confirm that? And yes, I'm aware the previous post was from 2013. :)

SoCalMonty

Explorer
A smaller diameter sway bar could be used too to allow more movement for off-road but still allow for better on-road handling, correct. I'm not sure of the exact sizes but from what I understand different size sway bars came on the different sub-models and years. Can someone confirm that? And yes, I'm aware the previous post was from 2013. :)

Yes, a smaller bar could help split the difference. But I doubt the bar changed more than 1mm between years/trim levels, if at all. So it would probably be fruitless. In other vehicles, the range between OE base model bars and aftermarket "sport" bars can be +/- 40% diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles