Seattle to the Darien Gap in a sub $5,000 Toyota - What would you buy?

Clutch

<---Pass
140122_DeskToGlory_SecurityUpgrades-15.jpg

That HiLux is one of my favorite builds on here, you have a grey one too, yeah?

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks Clutch! Yeah, a green one that I'm hoping to change up a bit soon... I'm thinking a little lower, some 285s... and a FWC. I have a problem.

14059843819_925d2094bd_o.jpg

You're welcome!

That's it...I guess it is green...some reason I thought it was grey. Pretty dang killer none-the-less. We are thinking of adding another Tacoma (or Tundra) to the quiver...is it silly to have two 4WD trucks(?) I think not! Not a bad "problem" to have;) :D

Played a little bit today in my Green Bean.

Where does that dirt road go....

10373849_10152889973744630_8930248039682466415_n.jpg

Last edited:

justuspost

I have an extremely well maintained Isuzu trooper '02 with 2, full time 4, locker 4H & 4L for sale in Portland. Could drive there today. Pm me.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
There are quite a few cream puff SUVs that have never been offroad in that price range. Personally, I would go for whatever is the best maintained/best mechanical condition for the price. That kind of money will get you a 2nd or 3rd gen 4Runner, a Montero, Trooper, etc; just find the best rig for the price.

CrashBar

Super Corolla

Bought a 1998 Rav4 5 speed 4wd with center lock differetial and 87K miles for $4500. It's basically a 90's corolla on steroids (ok, maybe just some good vitamins). I put a starter and air flow sensor in it ($600) and new tires and shocks. I've now put 20K miles on it trouble free, sometimes loaded up pretty good, other time on my 120 mi/round trip commute. Ran through some heavy snow with no issues. At this point I'd drive it anywhere after I did the timing belt / water pump. Simple to work on, parts are everywhere. Nice thing about these vs a 4runner (which I'd love) is the worst punishment they get is a bumpy parking lot at the mall.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118495-Box-Of-Rain-98-Rav4

A bit academic for me as most of my real "adventure" travel is on this, 132K miles and counting

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 15

86tuning

Adventurer
Of the trucks mentioned, I would go with a 3RZ, 5VZ, or 1FZ powered anything that's in good shape. The rest all have common issues even if they're in good condition. Yes the 80 will be expensive to run due to fuel and parts costs, but will be the most capable in stock or lightly modified form. My brother has a 97 limited 4Runner that goes anywhere my 80 goes, but he has more modifications than I have. And he saves 25% or more with fuel and parts costs.

Toyotero

Explorer
IMHO, I'd go with a 90 - 95 4Runner 4 cylinder 4WD. I think they are cheaper than the 3rd gen and probably 1st gens also, the premium price for a removeable top wouldn't be worth it not to mention that the 4doors would be nice at times. 22REs are very reliable mechanical/electric and parts are more readily available since they were sold worldwide for more than a decade.

Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-4Run...r-Quality-Dealer-Seviced-NO-RES-/271696242665

The power of the later model engines would be nice though for sure, and you can't get a 22RE vehicle less than 20 yrs old now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94