Seating Options

Chorky

Observer
Ok all. So as I sit here in pain from lower back problems over the last several weeks, still waiting for ortho to give me an MRI I am contemplating things. Not able to do things like normal, but so far been given the 'ok' by the doc even though a lumbar disc issue is highly suspect as contrary as it is. I am turning my attention towards my truck - seating. As in my sig, I have a '97 F350. Well built so far. The factory seats (and overall ride) is significantly more comfortable than my '06 TJ; however, I fear as age continues, long trips, especially on the backroads, will be come more challenging and painful, and thus reduce the desire to do them. So I'm beginning to look into seat options for the future.

Chris swears by Scheel-Mann Vario F XXL seats as seen here:

Wondering if anyone else has similar experience with these, or might have other recommendations Fortunately the factory seats in the truck are pretty ok for now, but after 600 miles over the last 2 days, I know something different in the future will be needed.

Thoughts?

Note: cross posted in 'disabled explorers' section as well

CodyY

Explorer
I've been dealing with back pain for 18 years (injured at 21), the best thing you can do is flexibility and strength. Also keeping your weight down. Disk issues aren't really agitated by seating, more seating positions. Factory power seats have plenty of adjustment if you're not locked up.

Yoga moves and PT are your best friend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bdp1978

Adventurer
Those Scheel Manns are amazing....until you start looking at the prices!! Add a few options and youre looking at almost $6g's for 2 seats.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I don’t have experience with the seats, I do have experience with lower back pain though.

I herniated a disc in college that never really went back down. I have found that weight, the experts say every pound of belly fat is like adding 10 on your back, and core strength are the 2 single most important factors with flexibility close behind.

Fix that and you’re back pain will definitely subside if not disappear completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
I've been dealing with back pain for 18 years (injured at 21), the best thing you can do is flexibility and strength. Also keeping your weight down. Disk issues aren't really agitated by seating, more seating positions. Factory power seats have plenty of adjustment if you're not locked up.

Yoga moves and PT are your best friend.

PT is great, I have not tried yota. I'll have to give that a shot after it heals up some. but my 23 yr old truck only has backrest angle adjustment and lumbar support...

Those Scheel Manns are amazing....until you start looking at the prices!! Add a few options and youre looking at almost $6g's for 2 seats.
That's actually the first thing I noticed... ouch! But if its the difference between getting out exploring or staying at home... ? But that's part of why I ask. Not sure if theyre all they say they are, that's a super hefty cost.

I don’t have experience with the seats, I do have experience with lower back pain though.

I herniated a disc in college that never really went back down. I have found that weight, the experts say every pound of belly fat is like adding 10 on your back, and core strength are the 2 single most important factors with flexibility close behind.

Fix that and you’re back pain will definitely subside if not disappear completely.

Dang that sounds terrible...I hope you've found a way to cope. Fortunately, or unfortunately (?) I am not at all over weight. Under if anything. So the whole belly fat thing doesn't apply here. I have a more structural problem that seems like it may be a reoccurring deal.

CodyY

Explorer
Oh, depending on what your doctor sees, the injection into the disk will kill the inflammation and then you hit the PT pretty hard to get the flexibility and strength back. Worked like a champ

The Artisan

Adventurer
Scheels are nice and I have reupholstered a number of sets. 2 good used seats I would recommend are flofit and mk2 recaro seats out of VW GTI. The later are the most comfortable stock seats, imo. I have been doing upholstery since 02 and have done so many different types of seats.
Kevin

GarrickG

Chorky, I literally JUST SENT Chris a DM asking about his opinion on his seats...too funny. I don’t suffer back problems (yet) but I do want a quality seat for my 1994. I think seats are an upgrade that can be enjoyed every time you operate your rig.

I’m subscribing....hopefully there will be many options given in this thread.

Thanks for bringing it up!

-G

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
Oh, depending on what your doctor sees, the injection into the disk will kill the inflammation and then you hit the PT pretty hard to get the flexibility and strength back. Worked like a champ

Yeah just had the MRI today. Based on symptoms doc says for sure herniated disc. But gave me no work restrictions other than a 25# pack limit, of course pending images. we shall see. I'm optimistic :)

Scheels are nice and I have reupholstered a number of sets. 2 good used seats I would recommend are flofit and mk2 recaro seats out of VW GTI. The later are the most comfortable stock seats, imo. I have been doing upholstery since 02 and have done so many different types of seats.
Kevin
Sweet! thanks for the heads up of some other options :)

Chorky, I literally JUST SENT Chris a DM asking about his opinion on his seats...too funny. I don’t suffer back problems (yet) but I do want a quality seat for my 1994. I think seats are an upgrade that can be enjoyed every time you operate your rig.

I’m subscribing....hopefully there will be many options given in this thread.

Thanks for bringing it up!

-G

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh nice! Are you considering purchasing his excursion? That's such an awesome rig.

g man

Chorky, I am not considering Chris’ rig. I have my own Excursion. Chris’ Ex is an awesome unit! I’d love to own it, however, I already own too many trucks.

My main reason to contact Chris was to ask about his experiences with his seats. I am considering new seats for my Excursion and/or my 1994 OBS.

Hope I didn’t derail and confuse your thread.

My apologies.

Chorky

Observer
Chorky, I am not considering Chris’ rig. I have my own Excursion. Chris’ Ex is an awesome unit! I’d love to own it, however, I already own too many trucks.

My main reason to contact Chris was to ask about his experiences with his seats. I am considering new seats for my Excursion and/or my 1994 OBS.

Hope I didn’t derail and confuse your thread.

My apologies.

Oh no you didn't cause any confusion. no worries :) what seats did you end up ordering?

g man

@Chorky, I actually got side tracked and started looking for OEM Recaro seats on Craigslist...lol.

The Excursion has been in our family for several years. 2 of our 4 kids are now driving and we no longer “need” the “bus”. I’m trying to decide to sell or build it....

The ‘94 F250 was bought as a project...possibly to become my DD. It’s a rust free Oregon truck that Ford built with a 460. I’m trying to decide if I wanna re-power it with a 12v or not. I already have 2008 axles and suspension to replace the TTB. My goals with it are to build a long term rig similar to what you and Papa have done.

High quality seating is on the list for this project.

FWIW, I really like the seats in my 2012 F350.

I don’t know if a “takeout” set of these would be an option for either of us as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles