Seatback Cover/Organizer

Frdmskr

Adventurer
So we just picked up a new 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5. It has an all black interior which is to say it has an interior which shows most mud once it has dried to a nice brown. I have a 5 yr old who is going to be quite tall it seems and is growing like a weed. Sometimes to get comfy due to sore legs during growth spurts he puts his feet up on the back of the seat with dad and mom's OK. (Sometimes he just wants to do it regardless and to see if dad and mom notice. Kids what can I say *shrug*) Additionally, with a 5 yr old comes books, iPad and other collections of stuff.

I am curious what folks are using to organize or protect their seat backs from dirty feet and wear and tear. In our last truck (2001 4runner SR5) the map pocket got pretty beat up (toys, books and every brochure/map he found at national parks and road side stops). I am trying to avoid that again.

Thanks.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
No kids so I can't help there, but I have those MOLLE panel seat back covers and love them for storage. Very flexible. However, given they have thick canvas straps all over them, they are pretty tough in thier own right, but also easy to attach stuff to. Shouldn't be difficult to rig up a piece of canvas or something sacrificial for the little guy to put his feet on without worry, and use the rest for storage.

You can buy a myriad of different pouches, organizers and junk on Amazon that work with MOLLE. "Tacticool" guys drool over it, but if you dig that or not, it has created a market with tons of options for organizing. I have what they call an "Admin pouch" on my seatback that is perfect for nick-knack stuff, unzips and has strings inside that hold it open level so nothing falls out. Might even hold a small tablet. I was able to empty most of what was in my glove box and center console into pouches on the seat-back for items I never needed to reach from the drivers seat anyway.

Heck, cheap as many of the pouches are, you might can get one sized such that left open he can just flop his feet on it.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I've looked at the MOLLE seat backs. They look like you connect to them with velcro. Is that so? I am concerned if that is the case he will knock things off a lot.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I have a 6 year old so I share your pain. I have Britax Kick Mats in both vehicles. Keeps the seat backs clean and they wipe off easily. Oh, and I put them on backwards so the mesh pockets are inside facing seat. Otherwise they get trashed.

whitenoise

Adventurer
I have similar issues and installed the Coverking cordura seat covers which have MOLLE grid sewn into the backside. It also comes with a set of pouches which attach with the standard MOLLE straps, not velcro. Pretty decent quality if you overlook the haphazard sewing in places. The fit makes it obvious you have seat covers but I dont mind that. I paid $320 for two rows at costco, so definitely shop around.

https://www.autoanything.com/seat-c...FUrgJTYlSp-yW6a-B2NYzfva1vwWzhlgaAuzQEALw_wcB

The Artisan

Adventurer
So we just picked up a new 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5. It has an all black interior which is to say it has an interior which shows most mud once it has dried to a nice brown. I have a 5 yr old who is going to be quite tall it seems and is growing like a weed. Sometimes to get comfy due to sore legs during growth spurts he puts his feet up on the back of the seat with dad and mom's OK. (Sometimes he just wants to do it regardless and to see if dad and mom notice. Kids what can I say *shrug*) Additionally, with a 5 yr old comes books, iPad and other collections of stuff.

I am curious what folks are using to organize or protect their seat backs from dirty feet and wear and tear. In our last truck (2001 4runner SR5) the map pocket got pretty beat up (toys, books and every brochure/map he found at national parks and road side stops). I am trying to avoid that again.

Thanks.
I have made protective covers for customers before but you can make something simple. Basically take a nice towel punch 2 holes and put grommets in. Lift headrest and put headrest back through the grommets. The towel will hang and tuck the end back under the top section.
Of course mine were more custom that matched my upholstery with straps. They clipped under the seat, but you get the idea. I did the same thing for protection for dogs in the back seat.
Kevin

Pilotamis

Observer
My wife bought a set for our F150 from wish.com. We’ve used them a lot on all our road trips across country. They’ve worked great, but they look cheap.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If that vintage 4Runner has seat installed airbags or dropdown airbag curtains, make sure whatever you install doesn't interfere with the deployment of the airbags. Good luck!

jls4

I'm a big fan of the Blue Ridge Overland Gear MOLLE seatback panels. They have different colors and you can add random pouches to them, which is great with the kids wanting juice/snacks/ipad/toys/etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles