Seat options for U100L

Felipe

Observer
Hello,
Just completed our first weekend trip on the U100L. Everything was good so far, we drove 900 Kms. The only complain is from my wife, she says that the right side seat is very uncomfortable, and she is right, it is. Left side is ok. What would you recommend to upgrade both seats ? not super fancy but comfortable ?
Thanks a lot for the info.
Best regards
Felipe
U100L Turbo.

oonimog

Adventurer
Felipe,
Very nice Mog. Have you looked at ISRI seats? They are what Mercedes uses as factory options. Not cheap, but nice stuff. A friend installed a pair of air ride seats from a North American semi truck in his U100L and was quite happy with them. I don't know the details so I can't offer more help regarding them.

Another place to check is on the Unimog forum at BenzWorld. All the Mog experts regularly visit there and could offer better advice:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Camper Mog had very comfortable front seats. The driver had a Cobra mounted to a spring suspension base. The original passenger seat was terrible, being a fixed lowback seat to accommodate placement on a vault that served as the seat base. I replaced that with a take-out Bostrom seat from the local Freightliner Surplus Store. Air suspended, leather and with adjustments in a dozen ways, it was a big hit with the co-driver.

As noted, the driver seat wasn't air suspended. That's because the biggest issue with fitting replacement seats in many trucks seems to be the clearance between the driver's thigh and the bottom of the steering wheel when the driver is getting in and the seat is unladen. Even heavy side bolstering can cause a problem on some trucks. The point being that it's relatively easy, from my experience, to find a seat that will fit and is comfortable, but that many options have to be tossed out because of the steering wheel clearance-on-entry problem. (Don't know if it'd be a problem on a U100, though; I've sat in them but can't remember.)

Felipe

Observer
I decided to order back in november a pair of ISRI seats that were built to order for me(that is what I was told) and they finally got here last tuesday. I opened the first box and I was delighted with the quality and the look of it, that was exactly what I wanted. I proceed then to open box number two, and my joy ended. After waiting for 10 weeks, I found out that they have built two left seats !
I contacted the dealer from who I ordered and sent pictures. He contacted the factory and answered that they were going to send me a left armrest (free of charge, thanks) so I can take the right armrest and install the left one. Wait a minute, and the holes on the nice leather upholstery ? how do I cover them ? and what about the controls of the right seat been on the left side ? (this I can live with)
They got back to me and told me to try to fit the seat using both armrests so no holes were visible. I tried that and there is no way that the right seat can be fitted with the right armrest installed, but that was not the end of my disappointment, while laying out the seat, I noticed that both seats came with the wrong riser so there is no way I can bolt them to the Mog.
They said they will get back to me with an answer on monday, but at this point I do not know what to do, I might just try to fix it myself or pack everything and return it so they can do it right.
Regards
Felipe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94