Searching for the Perfect Photo in New Zealand (via Toyota Starlet)

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Greetings from "home", Mr. Symancek. We live a few miles from Brodheadsville (village of Reeders). Thanks for sharing the adventure.

R.Symancek

Greetings from "home", Mr. Symancek. We live a few miles from Brodheadsville (village of Reeders). Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Oh, awesome! Glad you can join in on following the adventure! I'm always cruising 715 when I'm home, however not in a little Starlet :)

R.Symancek

On our way to Mount Cook, the tallest mountain in New Zealand... We found this.

The Real Rally Starlet.jpg

We accidentally drove right into the Hill Block Shingle Rally Sprint in Fairlie. After the show, we got to drive the stage ourselves, in what some say is the best single stage in the world. Apparently Jimmy McRae (father of well known rally champion Colin McRae) mentioned this stage being that good some years back when he ran it. It's a pleasure to drive where the champions drove :wings:

02-Caprie and RX7.jpg03-Celica GT4.jpg04-Rims.jpg05-MK2.jpg06-Lancaster and STI.jpg07-Rally Starlet 2.jpg

I'd like to make a special note on how cool the Subaru Outback pulling the GC STI is!

Cheers!

R.Symancek

Oh, and I forgot to mention... While on our inspection of the stage, I was doing some co-driving for Cam, who has never tried rally driving before. While on a nice downhill to what may have been a medium right (R3), he clutched in and held it, went for the brake, and released too late... Starlet under-steered hard and then over corrected, slide off the road and into a ditch. I figured Cam needed his first rally stage 'off' photographed. He knocked over that rubber road marker.

Cam's First Off.jpgSharpie Resized.jpg

R.Symancek

Our Trip to the North

Our next trip had us heading north on Route 1. We stopped at a friends house outside of Timaru. Spent the day driving around in a Hilux and petting sheep. Then we headed for Lake Tekapo for the night. By the time we go in, and made camp it was already dark. Cam had the hammock tent set up beautifully between two trees, and for the first time in a while we got some good sleep. In the morning we awoke to the clearest blue lake I have ever seen. This was only the prelude of the day to come, as we traveled up the glacier's path toward the tallest peak in New Zealand, Mt. Cook. And then back down and around. (That was descriptive. See map :ylsmoke:)

Mt. Cook Route.JPG

We're working on some good pictures from the trip. I like to think we go the extra mile for some of the shots. Like sticking a whole lot of money in the ocean at the Moeraki Boulders to get the shot we want. Sea salt is stuck in my focus ring for sure. We plan to get back to some of these spots for some better photographing, but for now, a good scouting trip was successful.

Oh, and I found the soar-plane headquarters of New Zealand. More to come on that later.

Cam Sunset.jpgCam Boulders.jpgCampsite.jpgHammock.jpg

Down the road we go.
The Mountains resized.jpg

Last edited:

d67u57

Adventurer
nice!

chris,make it happen man. show the corporate world you can!

cam and rally-master : any chance to see some longfins in your art works? :)

R.Symancek

nice!

chris,make it happen man. show the corporate world you can!

cam and rally-master : any chance to see some longfins in your art works? :)

If by longfins, you mean the eel. It's funny you should mention that. Because just the other day... Well, I guess I'll wait till the actual post.

d67u57

Adventurer
*doctor evil* : eeeexcellent.

that and any other wildlife you can. adds that special cherry on every traveler's cake .

cameron_a

Observer
are you planning on coming up to the North Island?
Have you seen the recent NZ movie "two little boys"? Maybe it gave you an idea of why to go to the caitlins?

great thread :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94