Searching for a 3rd Gen Weekend Whomper

kphamx

Hey Y'all,

I've been on the prowl for a off-roader/weekendlander, with potential for longer trips in the future. Overseas, I saw a lot of Pajeros and sweet Land Cruiser 70 Series trucks, and have since been dying to build a rig for camping and light traveling.

I'm pretty particular with my focus on Gen 3 Montero Limited 03-06 for the larger engine, potentially lower miles and leather seats.

As of now, I'm budgeting around 10K for the entire project including purchase/repairs/maintenance/upgrades. I'm seeing a lot of Monteros around 4-5k with anywhere from 150k to 175k miles, but is it worth buying a cheaper higher mileage (200+k) for half the cost and sink the money into repairs or are there too many mechanical issues for that to be a consideration?

had a chance to see a one owner 05 with a decent carfax but it ended up rougher than what he put out to be.

Or is it worth looking into a 99-01 Land Cruiser or LX470 with around 200k to 250K miles around 6.5k -7.5k?
I'm liking the larger size SUVs, but 4Runners aren't out of the running.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

plh

Explorer
As with anything, generally the lower the miles and the newer (years wise) the better. Of course that is not the only factor in a used vehicle evaluation.

sedole

When you get that high up in mileage I start caring less and less about the actual number and more about maintenance. I'd buy the one with the most complete maintenance history. Montero engines are very stout if properly maintained. My biggest concern would be the condition of the transmission in the higher mile units. They are great if maintained, but WILL fail if not. Mine went out just a hair under 180k miles but it was probably never maintained... Or at least very few and far between.

Things I'd look out for: torque converter shudder in 4th or 5th gear at highway speeds. It's like driving on a rumble strip without the body vibrations. It will get louder with speed. That's a sign of either improper fluid or old burnt fluid that hasn't been changed. Can be fixed with a new filter and flush with mitsu sp3 fluid. However, if you find any metal flakes in the pan when you drop it to change the filter...your trans is on its way out. I had these symptoms and found fine metal flakes in my pan. The shudder went away, but my trans (gears 1,2,3) grenaded within the next 7k miles or so. I shelled out for a very clean sub 100k mile unit and to have it installed with someone familiar with gen 3 Monteros. Out the door for a little over $2k. But, a new lease on life. I did have a friend willing to help me take on the install ourselves which would have saved over a thousand, but it's a big job to do on the garage floor on your back.

The owner and head mechanic at the transmission shop has the opinion that gen 3 montero transmissions are there weak point. He replaces quite a few.

Also, I am of the opinion that you shouldn't bother with the half-assed drain and fills. "Flush" it according to the procedure outlined in the FSM. It's not really a flush per-se...more like you are just completely draining everything that a drain and fill wouldn't drain. However, if the trans is already on its way out, it's on its way out regardless of what catch-up maintenance you do.

Unfortunately (and fortunately) Monteros are cheap. This means that over the years they've fallen into the hands of many people and families that might not have had the means to afford to maintain them properly. Spend the extra time to sift through these ones and wait for that hidden gem.

With 10k you'll be able to get a clean one with plenty of money left to do maintenance and get some slick mods.

LX470s are also nice. I was really considering them at the same time as I was looking for my gen 3. Ultimately it came down to price and the unique factor. I'd argue that the gen 3 montero can be just as reliable if properly maintained. So, for the price, pretty much all your budget will go into getting the LX and getting it up to snuff on maintenance and not much left over. That's what really swayed me.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
There's an '03 in west Phoenix on Craigslist for $4300 with a recent timing belt job, radiator and catalytic converter. Pictures looked good.

John B.

kphamx

Thanks Sedole for the advice and insight.
JohnnyB, I think I saw that one, flying in and commuting back is something I’ve considered but still apprehensive about. I’m in Austin Texas.

ChrisCosta416

10k should be enough to pick up a decent Gen3 and make it mechanically sound.

Good luck with your search, let me know if you have any questions!

kphamx

Found a good one owner with low milage but looking at the CarFax, no timing belt ever done. It’s at 140k ? and it looks like they’ve only taken it to quick lube services for transmissions fluid “flush/replacement”. I’m hesitant seeing that the fluid may not be oem or to manufacture specifications.

with needing new tires and a boat load of services, am I better off looking at a 2000 LX with recent services and good tires?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Usually with a transmission fluid flush, they drain the OEM fluid, run mineral oil, and reinstall the same OEM fluid. This practice is to prevent the old belief that new fluid will cause slipping/stop them from using the wrong fluid. In actuality, using the correct fluid is more important. My 01 had a bad shudder that started around 130k. Flushes would help, but it never went away. I did a fluid change with new SP-III around 160k. Shudder was completely gone and it ran great for the next few years that I had it.

There is a plastic cover on the top of the 3.8L engine where the timing belt is. Either 10mm or 8mm bolts. You can easily remove the passenger side to inspect the belt.

Herksute

I just picked up a 1 owner 2006 Limited with all scheduled maintenance and 143k for $1500, needed rear brake pads, it has hail damage on hood and roof only ( totalled in 2014 Oklahoma hailstorms....) He bought back from insurance. IMG_20200507_101042.jpg

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Looks really clean. Grab the free FSM for 03 or 06 from the link in my signature if you don't already have one.

I'm due to change brakes again. I ran OEM pads with Raybesto economy rotors (RockAuto) for the last 60k miles. Going to replace with Raybesto Ceramic pads and a new set of the same rotors.

RockAuto carries alot of the Japan supplier parts like Aisin, Denso, and Mitsuboshi. PartsSouq has been a pretty good source for specific OEM parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles