seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
I'll post up here first when it's time to sell stuff.

By the way... Solo is doing a 20% off sale. Ordered the 14" long travel kit and they are building me a set of King coilovers with custom valving and 700lb 18" springs. :wings:

Haven't ordered the axles yet, but Camburgs are the same thing for $200 less so they suggested I go that route to save a few bucks.

Their customer service was beyond awesome. Talked to Paul on the phone for an hour and couldn't be happier to have their product on my truck in the future. They are really passionate about what they do and the product they put out.

seanpistol

Explorer
Impressive plans! 37s are huge... holding up a tape measure was enough to scare me off.

Going for the fabricated spindle I assume? Any plans to swap the rear axle to match the width?

No plans for the fabricated spindle at this time. Going to run the lower balljoint until/if I need to change it. Same thing with stock CVs versus their offering. I may however get the weld on double shear kit for the coil bucket and will probably do a spindle gusset.

In the rear I will probably change my spacers from the current 1.25" to 2" and leave it until/if I need to change something. I'll be a little wider in the front.

seanpistol

Explorer
Yeah I meant my runner lol. Too much tundra talk. I think I know who you are talking about. He has a flatbed ish and full float rear I think. He actually has a build page here on expo but hasn't been updated in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct. He has Camburg LT, extended axles with stock CVs, an ARB up front, and a 9" rear. And a tube bed with glass front fenders.

rickashay

Explorer
Holy ******** Sean. Way to up the 1st Gen Tundra game. Glad this is happening, I'll have my popcorn ready.

Is there any concern for the failure-prone OEM LBJ combined with the heft of a 37" tire and beadlocks? I am not familiar with the Solo kits, or is it using a custom LBJ?

seanpistol

Explorer
There is going to be more wear on everything from larger heavier parts, no doubt about it.

The lower ball joint fails because the stress is on 4 14mm bolts that hold the LBJ to the steering knuckle. If any of them rattle out, the stress is now on the LBJ itself and and then the LBJ shears. I properly install the 4 14mm bolts with red loctite and 60 ft/lbs and don't have to worry about any of those bolts coming out.

If I have excessive wear on the LBJ from the larger, heavier components I will consider the fabricated spindle and lower uniball conversion at that time. The guy I mentioned a few posts earlier is still on stock LBJs as well.

Last edited:

Kya

Adventurer
Nice! I've been eyeing that 20% off sale for days now. You might have just helped me talk myself into it. I keep going back and forth between the spindles or the LT. Can't afford both, but the spindle, lower uniball, and steering upgrades seem like a good first step before larger tires (I'm currently on 33" and with a camper lots of the time).

seanpistol

Explorer
Like I said before, I'm not the first one to do this. They'll be fine if you're easy on the skinny pedal. I take pride in being easy... :)

And if something does break, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. There is an option for an 8" front diff, RCV axles, a lower uniball conversion, heim steering....

Last edited:

Blender

Adventurer
Like I said before, I'm not the first one to do this. They'll be fine if you're easy on the skinny pedal. I take pride in being easy... :)

And if something does break, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. There is an option for an 8" front diff, RCV axles, a lower uniball conversion, heim steering....

Plan B

AaronK

Explorer

The heim joint steering caught my eye...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior