seanpistol's 01 Tundra

seanpistol

Explorer
Pulled the trigger on the exterior porch lights. Two no-name 36w 6.5" IP67 cree double row flood LED light bars. They saw low current draw, but don't specify what it is. Replace the factory light on the right and add one on the left. First photo I've shared of the camper-

spazstic

Lives for the weekend
Really? I was able to leave my tundra parked for two days in Mojave desert well over 100 degree weather. Maybe I had more sun

Yeah, I monitored it throughout the day and found peak power was around 8-9am, and it would drop off as the day got hotter. Efficiency degrades with temperature, despite there being more sun. That's running off the second largest Yellow Top, but it is a big fridge.

trailscape

Explorer
There are some really nice direct replacement led porch lights out there that use little power. Sounds like those light bars are going to be for very intermittent use only.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I don't run any battery monitor system as it was also my starter battery. I do use a voltage gauge just so I can make sure it was being charged via solar. I always say 13.0 v or higher in direct sun.

If you wanna charge the house battery while driving. Probably gonna have to do a duel battery set up. I would use cheap jumper cable wires from harbor freight and a 100amp relay to link them when driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...0amp+relay&dpPl=1&dpID=41fgxzcM5DL&ref=plSrch

I was thinking of switching out the charge controlled for a mppt but I haven't had any issues with the controller it came with.

I would try the bare basics and see how it works first. This way you don't spend money on things you don't need.

So far I love the inverter. I haven't really used it for anything but to charge my drone battery and it works great. I was able to keep my fridge powered and inverter on during my 2 days in the desert. I do recommend turning off the inverter when not in use at night.
Maybe my fridge is smaller and the 100w panel was enough. I also keep my rock lights on all night.

With more stuff you run. The 2 6v battery is probably the way to go if you have the space. They have much larger reserve.

I'm running a single 31m die hard platinum in my tundra for both starter and house battery.

If I know I'll be camping for extend periods and in shades areas. I would bring my portable 150w kit so I can keep the truck in the shade and panels in the sun. Haven't need to yet. I just park in the sun lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefry

Observer
Why is that? Which controller are you using?

I'd like to keep the single panel on the roof to allow for more space for toys but could always add a second later on if needed. I have read good things about the two Trojan 105 golf cart batteries in parallel, I'm surprised that wasn't enough for your setup.

When I had the single panel I was only running a 110AH battery which wasn't enough but these two T-105's are perfect. I'm running an Odyssey MPPT that I do not recommend due to incorrect battery level indicators but I compared it with a Renogy PWM and I was able to get more amps out of the odyssey so I still run it.

AaronK

Explorer
Pulled the trigger on the exterior porch lights. Two no-name 36w 6.5" IP67 cree double row flood LED light bars. They saw low current draw, but don't specify what it is. Replace the factory light on the right and add one on the left. First photo I've shared of the camper-

36w/12.6v=2.86amp draw...provided that the 36 watt figure is accurate. I run several of the no name led bars and they all work out to less than their advertised wattage.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

seanpistol

Explorer
Have any idea how much draw charging a laptop and phone on the inverter would be? And interior LEDs probably depend on which ones I pick up-

AaronK

Explorer
That I'm not sure of. You can get dc laptop chargers though and that'd be way more efficient than taking a dc source, converting it to ac, and then reconverting it to dc.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I would charge laptop during the day. At night I can leave my phone plugged into the 12v usb all night. Can leave my rock lights on all night as well. I wouldn't leave the inverter on all night. Even when it's not powering anything up. Just having it on causes a drain on the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirates712

Both the laptop charger and phone charger should have the rated wattage and/or amps printed on them. Make sure it's for 120 AC though, you may have to convert from 12/5V DC and add some percentage due to conversion loss.

Wasatch

Observer

Dude! Awesome! Feel free to give me a shout if you want some help working on it!!

trailscape

Explorer
I thought about getting a popup camper a number of times. It'd be on my truck nearly all the time though and I'm not sure I'd like that.

It's a nice looking camper. I still want one whenever see one. What's the weight of that one anyhow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior