seanpistol's 01 Tundra

rickashay

Explorer
Rad Tercel. I hunt for those in good condition constantly, but I've never found a super cherry one. haha Your project looks ************ though, awesome work.

My bro had a 91' Camry 4WD that had 80,000 kms on it. Super rare also.... but not a wagon like the Tercel! haha

rickashay

Explorer
^ a 4WD Camry? That's legit, I've never seen one, nor knew they existed. I'd like to see if it's a live rear axle or IRS.

Yah super rare. He actually got rid of it because of seals that began to deteriorate and there was ZERO aftermarket or OEM parts to fix it in existence. It was pretty rusty but super cool. Had a Center Diff Lock switch!

seanpistol

Explorer
I like that nobody had anything to say about my roommates DCLB Taco with Wildernest and all the comments were about the Tercel. You got good style, Expedition Portal. :victory:

seanpistol

Explorer
Sean-
What tires do you plan to run next? Maybe its the angle but it looks like you are due for a new set soon and as you know those MTRs are disco'd! I'd like to hear your thoughts as I need to get tires before too long

Just saw this...

I've debated several different tires but I'm going back to Duratracs. I honestly loved them for several reasons when I had them in 285s. 2 ply sidewall is somewhat of a concern, but I've seen plenty of people run them in Moab without an issue. Plus, I was on Duratracs on the rockiest, probably gnarliest trail I've ever run- and didn't have an issue. Those tires do everything I want to do and are the most practical choice. I have a full size spare and will purchase them from somewhere with a warranty. I loved them in the snow, and it's important to me to be planted on a snow covered road- which I spend a lot of time on. I don't need a M/T, but I considered Toyo M/Ts and adding significant siping. I got this current set of pretty worn MTRs when I switched to 315s, and to run for the summer since I had a couple long distance trips planned. I'll pick up a new set of tires in another month or two.

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Just saw this...

I've debated several different tires but I'm going back to Duratracs. I honestly loved them for several reasons when I had them in 285s. 2 ply sidewall is somewhat of a concern, but I've seen plenty of people run them in Moab without an issue. Plus, I was on Duratracs on the rockiest, probably gnarliest trail I've ever run- and didn't have an issue. Those tires do everything I want to do and are the most practical choice. I have a full size spare and will purchase them from somewhere with a warranty. I loved them in the snow, and it's important to me to be planted on a snow covered road- which I spend a lot of time on. I don't need a M/T, but I considered Toyo M/Ts and adding significant siping. I got this current set of pretty worn MTRs when I switched to 315s, and to run for the summer since I had a couple long distance trips planned. I'll pick up a new set of tires in another month or two.
Good insight, and that's seemingly where I'm at in my decision making process. I really like my KM2s, but I'm in the same boat as far as not needing an M/T. It's been nice having M/Ts but it's not a necessity for my travels. Performance in the snow is important to me as well, so the Duratracs are my top pick for an aggressive A/T but I am honestly worried about the 2 ply sidewall in certain terrains. Gravel, mud, snow and slick rock the Duras will handle it, but I may have a chance to do some exploring in Death Valley next year and many members here have had sidewalls fail due to the sharp rock. I think I may still go with the Duras because overall they will get the job done but I can't help but be concerned and that bothers me.
Other tires I've considered are the Cooper ST Maxx A/Ts, and my next choice for an M/T would be the new STT Pros. 3 ply sidewalls, the center tread is more like an A/T with M/T side lugs so snow travel should be ok.
My brother runs Toyo M/Ts and the tread life is amazing but holy cow they are heavy! :Wow1:

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
The ST Maxx definitely look like a good tire. I find the Toyo R/T very interesting as well, but they aren't available in the size I want to run.

I'm sold on Duratracs. One of very few tires made in the USA! It is the best balancing tire I've ever had and very quiet on-road. Things I need to keep in mind when the Tundra is my daily driver. Good sidewall flex when aired down. I like the tread pattern off-road... they did well for me in as muddy of conditions as I will ever see, on slickrock, in deep snow, on hardpacked snow, and resisted excessive chunking in the rocks. The majority of my time off-road is not on sharp rocks, so after I weigh all the pros and cons, the only thing I have in the con category is the 2-ply sidewall. With a warranty and a full size spare, it isn't enough to stop me from running another set.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd throw a set of studded Duratracs on for winter and have a set of either Kevlar MT/Rs or Toyo MTs for summer! I don't. :D

seanpistol

Explorer
Just called Goodyear and chatted with them on the phone for a bit. 285/75R16, load range E is a 2 ply sidewall. 315/75R16 load range E is a 3 ply sidewall. BOOM! My decision is cemented.

seanpistol

Explorer
About to order the 315/75r16 Duratracs, in load range E with 3 ply sidewalls :)

Been thinking about getting new wheels. I never liked the fake bolts and overall style of my ATX chambers that were on the truck when I bought it. Plus, they require that I run a spacer- which I'm not scared of because I know I installed them properly, but I am up for a change and the opportunity is here.

After looking around, I think SCS F5s are the best option with 3.5" backspacing. I wish the Stealth 6 came in 3.5" or 3.25" backspacing... but, I haven't come across any options other than the Eagle Alloy 100 series in 3.625" backspace and it kind of looks like a spare steelie (although it's aluminum).

Not sure on color, but I'm kind of leaning towards the matte gunmetal F5 if they're on the darker side. Always liked the matte bronze, but that may be too flashy for my always dirty and pinstriped truck. Black wheels on white trucks are a dime a dozen, but I'm not too against that either.

http://www.stealthcustomseries.com/products/wheels/f5/

DSC00339_1680x944_zps7916f284.jpg

seanpistol

Explorer
I'm now thinking that since my 35s rub the tapered frame with my current 3.25" backspacing- I should get the 4.30" backspaced Stealth 6 (which is my favorite styling anyway), keep my spacers, and essentially have 3.05" backspacing to get them a little further off the frame. This will also change me to a 17x8.5" wheel.

5BF691D3-AF6A-413D-8CD0-BD6CED29E856_zpsztzujlsz.jpg

2238CE9A-E62D-46A4-B05B-FB395CB1AD01_zpseqa7zigd.jpg

This wheel also makes the Toyo R/T now a tire option (they aren't available for 16" wheels)... pretty intrigued by these.

Toyo-Open-Country-RT-Compare-7-21-14.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior