Sealing skin on offroad trailer

ordealist

I'm building an overlanding trailer that will have 1x1 steel frame on the upper cargo box and a steel sheet metal skin. Trying to figure out how to best seal the sheet metal skin. Originally was thinking I'd weld and grind the corners, but wondering if there's a more efficient method. Maybe some corner pieces that glue or bolt/rivet on? Would appreciate any suggestions.

billiebob

what gauge of steel skin ?

my cargo trailer with 1x1 steel tube walls is sheeted in light aluminium which is screwed at 6" spacing. the edge of the following aluminium has a minor brake to add rigidity and "seal" the joint. Pretty standard on every cargo trailer out there.

the nicest thing about it is the skin can be removed in 20 minutes like here when I added a left side door. It is 12 years old, always outside and has over 100,000 miles on it.

trlr 003.jpeg

winter included....

trlr 002.jpg

don't over think it...

Last edited:
Just remember if overlapping metals that road grit will get in between the layers. Road vibrations will make that grit eat through any coating and cause rust and corrosion between the layers.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
An alternative for maintaining the glue joint thickness is to use small patches of double sided foam tape.
Has the advantage of holding the sheets in place as the glue sets off, and no holes :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Please elaborate on the fishing line. I do not understand the reference
Seems someone deleted their post. They used fishing line wrapped around the frame work tubing to create the proper adhesive thickness layer. Same as a using double sided adhesive foam pads.

billiebob

Just remember if overlapping metals that road grit will get in between the layers. Road vibrations will make that grit eat through any coating and cause rust and corrosion between the layers.
hypothetical but not true, I run all year, that winter pic shows my trailer covered in grit yet 10 years, 100K miles later of winter mountain driving thru salt and sand, zero eating thru the metal. As to road vibrations,,,,, I'll post a pic of the shackles we just replaced, some of the bushings are gone, others worn thru, yet the trailer skin is still weather tight.

The picture above is 3 years old, I think for cosmetics and company image I will reskin it next spring. But it is still weather tight.

And in the same token, I can show you pics of people who have added aluminum body armor panels over existing sheet metal. They body armor falls off because the body has rusted off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94