Sealing Marker Lights

MogsAndDogs

Howdy all. I would like to add marker lights to the front and back of my Unimog. I am going to use these small round lights that go in 3/4” holes.

I am worried most about leaking once I drill 5 holes in the front of my cab. So, has anyone had any experience putting marker lights where there were none before? If so, can you recommend a good sealant? And anything Else I should be thinking about?

This is a photo of one of the lights I installed in a scrap piece of aluminum.
0CE99E3E-5539-447E-BCE6-6E7494CBD751.jpegD6D916B2-BD48-4EFC-83CD-0A1EE4B7F7B9.jpeg

MogsAndDogs

Fwiw,
I used those same type cheap (meaning no-name Amazon sourced) markerlamps on a trailer.
The reds have been fine. All the yellows lasted about an hour.
Ultimately replaced them with same thing from Truck-Lite.
Further, the Truck-Lite rubber grommet is a much better material.
Thanks, good to know. They are Tecniq - I thought a better supplier - but could be wrong. But, I might use Truck-Lite or Grote.

NOPEC

Howdy all. I would like to add marker lights to the front and back of my Unimog. I am going to use these small round lights that go in 3/4” holes.

I am worried most about leaking once I drill 5 holes in the front of my cab. So, has anyone had any experience putting marker lights where there were none before? If so, can you recommend a good sealant? And anything Else I should be thinking about?

This is a photo of one of the lights I installed in a scrap piece of aluminum.
View attachment 703789View attachment 703790
I am guessing that the black body is a friction fit and the little yellow flange hooks under the bottom of the grommet. I did some kind of similar a while ago and sealed them with Sikaflex 291. Personally if it was me, I would put a small bead under the flange where the yellow part seats into the grommet and then after it is all together, a small bead on the outer edge were it meets the aluminium. The caulk just prevents anything from moving around. No doubt, it's a pain but masking tape makes the final part tidy and quick. I've cleaned up a lot of water damage from clearance lights over the years and I swear I will never do it again! Good luck.

Alloy

If you are worried about water leaks I wouldn't use grommets.

In some locations the marker/clearance lights have to be reflective.

I started to use Optronics (Made in the USA) 8-10 years ago and haven't replace any yet.

These are the type I use.

Sealant is Geocel Pro Flex Crystal Clear

If you use grommets test the compatibility of the sealant. Some sealants will react with the grommet.

NOPEC

I used the same brand as Alloy, slightly different model. The nice thing about these one piece surface mount lights is that you only need a hole big enough for a couple of 16 gauge wires (as well as two #8 screw holes) instead of one that has to be large enough to hold the actual body of the light. When you install the surface mount type with a full application of caulk on the back, over the screw holes and then on the edges, they don't move and they seem really bomb proof to me in terms of water penetration.

Sitec

Adventurer
I've used exactly those lights on our build, and they seem to be fantastic! I used a stepped cone drill to drill the holes out to exactly 19mm. I then needed soap to get the lights into the holes, so am pretty sure theyre water tight. Time will tell I guess. Only the rear red ones are in the Hab Box. The rest are into side skirts and lockers.

Side Marker Lights.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles