Seafoaming the Montero

BayMonty

Would you seafoam your Montero right after a major maintenance service and tune up? I was always told to do it right before changing the spark plugs...but totally forgot.

PacS14

Adventurer
Just added it to the fuel tank for now. I do it before, never done it right after, but since it removes the carbon deposits at the very least you probably get your spark plugs dirty.

PacS14

Adventurer
I used to use mostly in the engine oil for 15 minutes prior to an oil change on a 1996 Toyota t100 that I put like 100k miles on myself, I used it whenever I could prior to the oil change and after like 30k miles I had to do the valve cover gaskets and where the cam gears splashed oil on the valve cover, you could see the a clean metal with a gold shine as well as all over the cams and head in general, the parts of the valve cover that didn't get oil splashed was black with burnt oil residue, but it was at that point a very thin layer. Every time I did an oil change the oil was dark brown/gold in color but after running the Seafoam in there it came out black like black paint almost. I've been a believer since, plus all the videos of when you use it on the intake etc and being able to see how it cleans the pistons, and cylinder, can't deny that.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
What problem are you trying to solve with the engine of your Montero? Or is it just for maintenance?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Would you seafoam your Montero right after a major maintenance service and tune up? I was always told to do it right before changing the spark plugs...but totally forgot.

I would probably hold off on treating the oil until it's due for a change. Treating the fuel and intake can be done at any time. It's not gonna foul out the plugs...it cleans 'em.

BayMonty

I used to use mostly in the engine oil for 15 minutes prior to an oil change on a 1996 Toyota t100 that I put like 100k miles on myself, I used it whenever I could prior to the oil change and after like 30k miles I had to do the valve cover gaskets and where the cam gears splashed oil on the valve cover, you could see the a clean metal with a gold shine as well as all over the cams and head in general, the parts of the valve cover that didn't get oil splashed was black with burnt oil residue, but it was at that point a very thin layer. Every time I did an oil change the oil was dark brown/gold in color but after running the Seafoam in there it came out black like black paint almost. I've been a believer since, plus all the videos of when you use it on the intake etc and being able to see how it cleans the pistons, and cylinder, can't deny that.

I haven't used it in years. The last time was probably on my Previa or Nissan 240sx (s13). I know it definitely helped both. I never was able to scope out the internals but I could hear and feel the difference afterwards.

BayMonty

What problem are you trying to solve with the engine of your Montero? Or is it just for maintenance?

Just maintenance. I just picked this 97 LS up about a month ago now. Drove it lightly the first two or so weeks and just got it back Monday from the shop after being in there for about a week...and that's when I realized I totally forgot about seafoaming it prior.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Just maintenance. I just picked this 97 LS up about a month ago now. Drove it lightly the first two or so weeks and just got it back Monday from the shop after being in there for about a week...and that's when I realized I totally forgot about seafoaming it prior.

Then I would keep forgetting about it if that was me...if it runs fine, leave it alone. I have seen so many attempts to fix something that wasn't broken and end up creating more problem. The sea-foam may work too well, dislodging some old oil and stuff that will end in the valve seals and then first thing you know your engine starts smoking.

just my two cents...

BayMonty

Then I would keep forgetting about it if that was me...if it runs fine, leave it alone. I have seen so many attempts to fix something that wasn't broken and end up creating more problem. The sea-foam may work too well, dislodging some old oil and stuff that will end in the valve seals and then first thing you know your engine starts smoking.

just my two cents...

It's running well mechanically, but I'm going to seafoam it sometime this summer. Not that I want anything to happen, but I'd rather do it to find out issues - if any - and get that repaired. I had my mechanic check the valve seals while the covers were off and he said they looked really good. They should look good. The previous owner had them done at 140k. I'm wanting to do it primarily to clean out the combustion chamber and fuel system. I just changed the fuel filter and it was pretty nasty.

RyanY

Adventurer
It's running well mechanically, but I'm going to seafoam it sometime this summer. Not that I want anything to happen, but I'd rather do it to find out issues - if any - and get that repaired. I had my mechanic check the valve seals while the covers were off and he said they looked really good. They should look good. The previous owner had them done at 140k. I'm wanting to do it primarily to clean out the combustion chamber and fuel system. I just changed the fuel filter and it was pretty nasty.
Not quite sure how a visual inspection of the valve stem seals can be conclusive. When I replaced my valve stem seals they "looked fine" but were hard as rocks, which wasn't a surprise given the clouds of oil smoke that poured out the tailpipe on acceleration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles