Scrubber3's long overdue build thread

scrubber3

Not really here
Cool pics man, and nice dog :)

Thanks man. Best dog I have ever had or ever heard of for that matter. I have 26 people that are in line, wanting him should something happen to me. He won "King of Fredericksburg" and has a crown. This was last October and he is still technically a puppy. I enjoy his company more than anyone.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Nice pics, I never really appreciated that color on the Montero until I saw what you did with yours. Looks great!

Looks like your Jeep buddies trying to keep up

scrubber3

Not really here
Nice pics, I never really appreciated that color on the Montero until I saw what you did with yours. Looks great!

Looks like your Jeep buddies trying to keep up

Yeah, I didn't quite care for the rocker panel color that it had on it. I like the black down there much better. Those jeep guys I ride with are real good fellas and give the montero it's due. I am also working on joining another off road club. Lots a good people round here to ride with. Like this group here on the portal they're a good bunch.

RichardT

Adventurer
Yeah, I didn't quite care for the rocker panel color that it had on it. I like the black down there much better.

I agree 100%, that's one of the things that bugged me about my truck since I first bought it, the tan rocker panels, never been a two tone guy....

scrubber3

Not really here
So, I have this issue with the front differential, It would seem that the engagement rod isn't inserting enough to keep the front differential moving without some noise and possible damage. I may soon be pressing the rod in permanently since I have manual front locking hubs. Stay tuned.....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So, I have this issue with the front differential, It would seem that the engagement rod isn't inserting enough to keep the front differential moving without some noise and possible damage. I may soon be pressing the rod in permanently since I have manual front locking hubs. Stay tuned.....

If all else fails, just buy a used one from a local pick and pull. They're rarely worn out since 99% of montero's never see off road use or 4WD.

livetoride

Adventurer
View attachment 86014View attachment 86015View attachment 86016View attachment 86017View attachment 86018View attachment 86019View attachment 86020View attachment 86021
Here are some pictures of the light switches, air locker switch, an E=tool that I fitted to the rear door, CB mounted up, CB antenna mount, an electric heater for those really cold mornings, and a couple of pictures of my new winch bumper with a brand new winch!

I am looking to install some brush wire to my monty. What did you use on your hood?

scrubber3

Not really here
I used cb antenna mount made of stainless steel I got off of eBay. I forget the P#. It has 2 holes so I used the quarter panel screws and 2 self tapping screws. Short ones of course. They've been whacked and slapped by a good bit of brush and are holding perfectly fine. Does the job.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Update on the problem. As it turns out, the local shop that I paid waaaay too much to R&R my transfer case and check for any other issues, decided not to go above and beyond whatsoever. They missed all three front diff mounts being obviously ripped and banging around. They didn't check the front differential like I asked. (seems has been an issue all along since when I first got it and replaced the front diff fluid, only a couple of clumps of oil came out. It worked so I left it be.) I asked for the front to be checked out and I guess all they saw were dollar signs and forgot to do that. Although they saw an obvious cv boot tear and said one of my brand spanking new ball joints was bad. They also said that they checked e 4wd and it worked fine, but lo and behold the second I get it out on the trail and switch to 4wd it goes beating and banging again. Angers me to think how they can charge so much for a simple R&R a TC and it come out the same as it went in when I asked them to check it. These guys are supposed to be the best off road guys in Central VA. I feel as if I got ripped off and that's not good...... :(

scrubber3

Not really here
I'll give them a chance to rectify it because I don't want there one employee that worked on my rig to ruin anyone's opinion of them. Although for as much as they charged I feel awful having the knowledge that this is common practice for them even if they specialize in Toyota products. Next week I will contact them and go from there. The only reason I went to them was because they are supposed to be superior on off road vehicles and though it was worth the premium. Well they charged more for the R&R than book time too. Hopefully I can get that rectified. If not, I will surely spread the word. No worries, of someone local reads this and has plans for mech work and tells me where they are going, I'll tell them of its the place or not. This outfit is supposed to be a class act, top notch place...... We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior