Screwing around with a Eurovan!

Cole

Expedition Leader
You are Herbie's long lost brother from a different mother! http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ie-s-Chevy-Astrolander-ZMB-Build-Thread/page6

Here's a shot of adrenaline for you: Dealership in town has an '02 Euro Pop Top Weekender with 148k mi with a $22,500 asking price! :Wow1:

In my search for parts for mine I see a lot of the for sale ads.

Here is one local to me from this morning. Same year and options as my van ('cept I have rear AC now) This is the craziness that keeps me motivated to fix this van. Imagine what will happen to perceived value when I get it to a TDI and 4x4. It's lunacy!

8580483006_cc6acefbfa_b_d.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Exactly. I look a little bit because I may sell mine within the next two years or so and suprise, suprise; there is no Kelly Blue Book value for a 4x4 conversion, Astro Pop Top weekender! (My idea is to cross multiply KBB base model Euro van with the base model Astro, and Euro Weekender
to (Astro van X-like mine) and then add in some sort of 4x4 conversion amount) and that could give me an approximate value.

Best of luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the 4x4 conversion. That was a VW deal breaker for me. :Mechanic:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a fair plan.

I honestly would have been fine converting an AWD Astro/Safari. Love all the cheap and easy drivetrain options, etc.

My wife on the other hand is totally Eurotrash when it comes to cars and motorcycles. So in order to get her approval and interest it had to be "Euro" ....and she loves VWs. :snorkel: Which I suppose is why I'm out in the garage sanding a rod bearing with a shoe lace :coffeedrink:

Exactly. I look a little bit because I may sell mine within the next two years or so and suprise, suprise; there is no Kelly Blue Book value for a 4x4 conversion, Astro Pop Top weekender! (My idea is to cross multiply KBB base model Euro van with the base model Astro, and Euro Weekender
to (Astro van X-like mine) and then add in some sort of 4x4 conversion amount) and that could give me an approximate value.

Best of luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the 4x4 conversion. That was a VW deal breaker for me. :Mechanic:

Well, I never thought that being on a shoe string budget meant sanding a rod journal with an actual shoe lace. :victory:

I figured that best case the crank was already screwed so there was no harm in attacking it with sandpaper. :wings:

After reading a billion threads on the Internet about it! Which are all true of course. I dove in with a shoelace and some sand paper.

After a quite a bit of sanding at various grades of fine paper, all of the stuff I was feeling yesterday with my fingernail is gone. Apparently all bearing material stuck to the crank. There is some visual discoloration in spots that "looks" like groves but can't be felt at all with a finger or fingernail. That and the crank still measures in spec with the other rod journals at every single spot I can measure it.

Starting to think with a bunch more polishing to a mirror shine that it might just work for awhile. These journals were all about .007 under spec so they will run barely loose with stock bearings in them. So the super tiny imperfections will also have room to move a bit.

Hard to get a good picture under tha van with a phone. Most of what looks like its on the rod journal in the picture is a reflection. The other discoloration a on the journal can't be felt at all. Opinions?

8580946236_e872887d10_d.jpg

d67u57

Adventurer
so fix it(or tdi it),4x4 it,then sell it? ok.

how much confidence do you have at the present moment in the durability of this motor here?

and yes,i sound negative from time to time :D

Cole

Expedition Leader
Ordered this yesterday:victory:!

8671963669_785ca1cd14_b_d.jpg

8671965257_c9155ee2be_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
New engine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow! Spent an hour taking some more of the van apart to get the old one out!

Wouldn't be very interesting if I just kept posting the same angle of an engine torn apart. So here is a different view of it for a litte variety!

8676043953_240417f4a2_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Had to go buy another engine stand this morning. I think this is my 4th one. I should probably just quit selling them. Also had to move a bunch of stuff around to use the hoist.

Glad I did a little research online this morning about how to mount a VR6 on the engine stand. Apparently with the block mounted to the traditional holes its REALLY easy to crack a water jacket. Using the plate makes like this works great. Hard as hell to spin, so I mounted it at a angle where I will be able to reach the bottom and top of the motor pretty easily.

I will need to change out the valve cover, oil pan and oil pick up tube to make the Jetta long block work in my Eurovan.

Since this is a brand new engine I'm going to install as much brand new stuff on it as reasonably possible. (Waterpump, crack pipe, etc, etc)

Once it is all ready to go in then I can swap the other motor onto the stand and look at rebuilding it.

......and since I had to move my bike out and the weather is nice........this project is on hold until I get back from a ride!!!!:bike_rider:

8684219964_d50ab4e0e4_b_d.jpg

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Commiserations on having to ride such a lovely bike on a sunny day...

Tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!

Humour apart, I wholeheartedly agree on using new parts with the new engine, false economy not to.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Had a few hours to kill today while it was nice out!

8696131495_6bb1842251_b_d.jpg

Will be media blasting and painting many bits before they go in. Also need to pick up many shiny new parts for this!

8697251862_6601b956ed_b_d.jpg

Village Idiot
First off, I have to say that it's great you are doing all this to the van. I would have just towed it to the junk yard.

And I am also a fellow KTM owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94